String libraries automation

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
KVRer
19 posts since 15 Jan, 2021

Post Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:04 am

Hey peepls, quick question. What is your relationship between modulation and expression parameters when automating strings? I saw examples of first increasing expression, then modulation and backwards the same way (decreasing expression first), saw other examples where they're pretty much synchronised and more independent ones where I can't exactly see logic. So how do you do it and what string libraries do you use?

KVRAF
22768 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:55 am

It depends. I wouldn't recommend going by anybody else's example particularly.
Generally CC1 or 2 [velocity crossfade] is designed to bring timbre in with volume & in some libraries (rather old-school) this means more vibrato as well; while 11 is generally considered a secondary volume. So, CC11 is more the amount of energy imparted to the patch, secondary to CC7 which is the amount of energy from the MIDI part; while veloXF brings things in from the layers recorded. So the 'logic' there is, at what point and to what overlap are the layers determined in the design (as per how many).

What I use mainly is the VSL Synchron Strings Pro, which is not tons of layers but can get extremely quiet if you indicate so.

KVRer

Topic Starter

19 posts since 15 Jan, 2021

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:33 pm

Makes sense, thank you!

KVRAF
22768 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:59 pm

sure
for instance that library contains patches that are 8 layers, and some have only one, so per the latter veloXF is not too useful.
then there are strings and such from Orchestral Tools which have very specific things like 'niente' (velocity = 1 is silent) and peculiar behaviors according to the range of volume you determine. Typical here is a middling setting, like 50% or 12 o'clock is 'full' while '100%' is extreme (not only for strings). So it's a lot of trial and error with stuff to watch for.
Also some things will use velocity on note-on and an additional veloXF, vs. veloXF which obviates note-on velocity completely, either it won't do at all or it won't do when active.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”