Dorico for iPad

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

it's here

https://youtu.be/-awK80ZUt8s

with subscription mode

"this video is private"

This video told me NOTHING about the actual product
Instant human just add coffee

Maybe this is what Stienberg was alluding to with the "we're ditching the dongle" spiel. Maybe they'll be "embracing the sub" with more than just Dorico.

Then again, it's annoying AF when they're like "hey there's a new version of Cubasis for iPad out but sorry....you gotta pay full price to get it because no upgrades in the app store" or whatever they've been pulling lately.

If it’s a subscription thing, that’s always an auto-nope from me.

Other than that, what does this software even do, and in particular, what does it do that other apps don’t, or what does it do better?

kvotchin wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:16 pm If it’s a subscription thing, that’s always an auto-nope from me.

Other than that, what does this software even do, and in particular, what does it do that other apps don’t, or what does it do better?
It's notation software that was built with VSTi's, particularly VST3 instruments with note expression, specifically in mind. Built ground-up from a company that specializes in DAWs so the playback engine is good. And the engraving options (how the notes look and how expressions can be visually manipulated for clarity) are very extensive.

If you've used other notation software, some do various aspects of that, but many have been around so long or started out as notation first, with playback secondary, etc. so they're not quite as well put together as Dorico is. If you need notation software, and want to mock up orchestral scores using sample libraries and whatnot, it's probably the best option right now. It's really competing in that Sibelius/Finale space and goes beyond what Notion does.

If you are a Cubase or Dorico user then you'll get some extras after registering and it does a lot for a free app. I played around with it and this is actually a really good first release. It seems to be really stable, easy to use and pretty feature complete for a mobile app.

However, I wish that they had a perpetual version for a reasonable price, maybe with a few soundpack in-app purchases (similar to Cubasis or Korg Gadget). The current subscription fee sums up very fast to a serious amount of money that is way to much for people who only need mobile scoring once in a while but still need the advanced features when doing so.

Benutzername wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:14 pm ... way to much for people who only need mobile scoring once in a while but still need the advanced features when doing so.
Then, the $4 per month (extra features) access when desired, sounds an ideal proposition... (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, it means payment for 1 continuous calendar month access and not a month's worth of access spread out however you like over a year or whatever).
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v12.0.70; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v5.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

I'm not going to rent software. Never.

Benutzername wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:20 pm I'm not going to rent software. Never.
Ok.
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v12.0.70; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v5.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

It'd be nice to have NotePerformer (by Wallander instruments) on iOS. I'm sure Sibelius can be brought to iPad. It's only a notation app and that doesn't use much resources, unlike some VSTs.

I'm sure it's doable especially on the latest iPad that's just come out.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”