Korg Collection 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection

beely wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:40 am Well, it *is* a sample playback machine - the oscillators just play samples.

In that way we could then call PPG Wave, Prophet VS, Korg DW's, Kawai K1, K3 synths "sample playback machines" too. :wink: They all use sampled waveforms for the oscillators. M1 has usual suspects single cycle waveforms and DWGS from Korg DW8000.
DrGonzo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:14 am If my memory serves me right, the hardware M1 didn't have a resonant filter.
Right and O1/w series was no better. Those are all filter controls you got. :) Image
BONES wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:36 pm So now I have to point out that the VSTi not only sounds bad but it's a shit emulation because they didn't even get the filter right!
I wouldn't call it a bad sounding at all, it's no worse than the original, if you like the digital-ish sounds of that era and you can definitely get them here. The filter has a switch to turn off the resonance to get it close to original.
Last edited by toitoi on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:39 pm
martin_l wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:30 pm Not sure whether I am missing something here. Personally, I am not so interested in the Prophecy and Tritons, but I would have liked the resizable GUI on the MS-20, Mono/Poly etc. Was there ever any upgrade path to those versions, which I missed? Is there still a way to upgrade to those?
The GUI update to MS20 etc was free if you owned them. I think you just had to make sure you registered on their newer web site. Think they sent out emails about it to existing owners about 18 months ago.
I did that, but somehow it never worked for me. :( I guess I need to see whether I can contact the customer support, if something like that exists...

martin_l wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:30 pm Not sure whether I am missing something here. Personally, I am not so interested in the Prophecy and Tritons, but I would have liked the resizable GUI on the MS-20, Mono/Poly etc. Was there ever any upgrade path to those versions, which I missed? Is there still a way to upgrade to those?
The GUI update to MS20 etc was free if you owned them. I think you just had to make sure you registered on their newer web site. Think they sent out emails about it to existing owners about 18 months ago.
I never got the email about the GUI update. I just updated last night. Much better. I'm still not sure about version 3 upgrade. I never liked the Tritons or Prophecy when they were hardware only.

martin_l wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:56 pm
I did that, but somehow it never worked for me. :( I guess I need to see whether I can contact the customer support, if something like that exists...
try this link…
https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Norqa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:31 pm Btw beely how is the convertor you promised for the Roland JV going?
You mean this?
http://www.difficultaudio.com/roland/
Norqa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:31 pmAt one point you punted it like there is no tomorrow but then the euphoria drained like a lead brick :) Abandonware?
By "punted it like there is no tomorrow", you mean, "announced I was working on it", while many people were all like "where is it? I need this? I'll help test it", and then when I finally got back to it and released it as beta, and asked for feedback, conversion results etc, only I think two people even bothered to send any feedback. (Which was valuable, and identified a couple of minor issues I fixed).

While there are things to do to it (like support expansion cards etc), the general "no one seems to care" silence I've got - once a few people converted their one or two banks, and it was presumably good enough for their purposes - doesn't exactly convince me to spend much more effort on it.

I welcome feedback, but no-one seems to be bothered about it, so... perhaps I *should* have been punting it like there was no yesterday. :shrugs:

I just looked, and people have converted over 750 files with it so far...

But it's up, and works, so knock yourself out... :tu:
Last edited by beely on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Or maybe try this one ...
https://id.korg.com/users/products

I downloaded the newer versions with the updated gui from there.

toitoi wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:52 pm
In that way we could then call PPG Wave, Prophet VS, Korg DW's, Kawai K1, K3 synths "sample playback machines" too. :wink: They all use sampled waveforms for the oscillators. M1 has usual suspects single cycle waveforms and DWGS from Korg DW8000.
Anything that uses samples masquerading as oscillators falls into sample playback machines.
At this stage I am inclined to agree with Bones and Beely.
But I think they are both drilling down too far.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:15 pm Or maybe try this one ...

That's what I tried, but no registered products appear on that page.

Norqa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:16 pmAnything that uses samples masquerading as oscillators falls into sample playback machines.
Indeed.

The "quintessential rompler" really started with the Roland U110 and Emu Proteus (and actually a bit before with samplers being repackaged without the ability to sample, things like the Kurzweil keys/modules and some other things like the 360 MIDI Bass and other stuff.)

These were sample playback machines, had no filter, and you could really no nothing much to the sounds other than maybe alter their amp envelopes and layer them together.

That's where the disparaging rompler term started, because basically there was nothing really you could do to change the source sounds in any way - they definitely were not synthesisers.

The term then got muddied as manufacturers starting bolting on deeper synthesis engines onto a sample playback front end - so while the M1 and WS *could* be called "romplers" in that their oscillators are just sample playback, they are in reality "sample-based synthesizers", as a lot of digital synths from the 90s and onward are, and there is a lot you can do to get away from the raw sample recordings in your sounds.

So personally, *I* don't regard a digital synth with a sample-osc front end as a "rompler", having lived through that rompler era (and disliking romplers immensely), and I don't regard something like the M1 or Wavestation as "romplers", or even the D50 really.

But I understand that later on, particularly with people that weren't around during that original rompler era, they've come to regard the term rompler to mean any digital synth that plays back samples, which I don't particularly agree with. I mean, Alchemy is a pretty kick ass digital synth, VA, granular and additive synthesizer that yes, can also playback samples too. I'd never describe that as a rompler either.

So for me, "rompler != sample-based synthesizer", but ymmv... :tu:

martin_l wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:20 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:15 pm Or maybe try this one ...

That's what I tried, but no registered products appear on that page.
Have you tried using the Software Pass to upgrade your current versions? I didn't need to, but it might work :shrug:
https://id.korg.com/static_pages/3
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beely wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:12 pm

By "punted it like there is no tomorrow", you mean, "announced I was working on it", while many people were all like "where is it? I need this? I'll help test it", and then when I finally got back to it and released it as beta, and asked for feedback, conversion results etc, only I think two people even bothered to send any feedback. (Which was valuable, and identified a couple of minor issues I fixed).

While there are things to do to it (like support expansion cards etc), the general "no one seems to care" silence I've got - once a few people converted their one or two banks, and it was presumably good enough for their purposes - doesn't exactly convince me to spend much more effort on it.

I welcome feedback, but no-one seems to be bothered about it, so... perhaps I *should* have been punting it like there was no yesterday. :shrugs:

I just looked, and people have converted over 750 files with it so far...

But it's up, and works, so knock yourself out... :tu:

Top tip - Announce when its completed. :)
You cant blame others for something you offered up willingly.
Did anyone hold a gun to your head? Stop with this line please. You make it sound like we are beggars demanding.
Loads of people supported your utility and responded directly into the thread.
But in the end you stopped answering, people like me assumed you were either out of your depth or got bored or both :)

A simple question.
Is your utility completed or abandonware?
Btw You owe me nothing or anyone else for that matter.

Anybody know of any good sources for Prophecy patches? I had quite a few banks saved back in the day... There's a few patches I'm looking for, that I of course can't remember the names of.

I found this: https://rhythm-lab.com/korg-prophecy-patches/

There's some good stuff in there. But some of those banks seem to have lots of repeat / slightly tweaked patches. Wondering if anybody else has a link to a good source for patches :)

Norqa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:28 pmTop tip - Announce when its completed. :)
I did, on the one thread where we were discussing it (actually, a few others too on other forums where it came up.)
Norqa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:28 pm You cant blame others for something you offered up willingly.
Did anyone hold a gun to your head? Stop with this line please. You make it sound like we are beggars demanding.
Er, I'm not blaming anyone for anything?! Someone asked me what was happening with it, I said it's up, but due to the response I'm probably not going to put much more effort into it. That's it - it's there for people to use if they want to.
Norqa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:28 pm Loads of people supported your utility and responded directly into the thread.

But in the end you stopped answering, people like me assumed you were either out of your depth or got bored or both :)
Yep - I explained why I abandoned the 5080 part of it, and what happened for me to get around and implement the 1080 part that people wanted based off of that work, in the thread.

(TL;DR; Other priorities, the 5080 FX reversing was tedious, and Roland released the 5080 plugin making it all a huge effort just to convert one or two patch banks one time, making it mostly pointless...)
Norqa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:28 pmA simple question. Is your utility completed or abandonware?
It's available, and in beta, and seems to work well for most people. It's free and available for anyone to use - use as you wish.

If someone has some feedback, or odd conversion results, or finds something to look at, then I'll look at it. I've had no calls for people asking for the extras like expansion card support, so I guess there's no interest in that.
Norqa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:28 pmBtw You owe me nothing or anyone else for that matter.
Not sure what this means... but this is off-topic anyway. If you want to discuss further, it's probably better off in the 1080 thread...
Last edited by beely on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:36 pmSo now I have to point out that the VSTi not only sounds bad but it's a shit emulation because they didn't even get the filter right!
They nailed the filter, when resonance is at 0 it sounds exactly as filter on M1 sounds. They just slapped resonance to that algorithm.

beely wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:42 pm
Er, I'm not blaming anyone for anything?! Someone asked me what was happening with it, I said it's up, but due to response I'm probably not going to put much more effort into it. That's it - it's there for people to use if they want to.
Glad you acknowledge you aren't putting anymore effort in and things are as they are.
Perhaps update the thread? Make it final, make it clear, put some closure in.
Seriously though beely you come out of this like a halfway house.

Return to “Instruments”