Best 'transforming' effects - additive, spectral

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

dubguy99 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:40 am If you use Live, the IrcaMax M4L devices have amazing cutting edge spectral effects.
Might be the second time I've seen these mentioned. They are pricey, so I imagine few have them. Are they worth it?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Thanks for providing the web archive link to those Anarchy Effects tools. Downloaded them both and have been playing with them this afternoon. Lots of fun to apply them to synth pads for atmospheric and ambient sounds. :tu:
CinningBao wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:50 pm The old Anarchy Effects are still available on archive.org here
https://web.archive.org/web/20180824015 ... ythms.com/

scroll down until you see Corkscrew

I've got the GRM stuff and I always end up in Evolution and Grinder. Fusion is a weird FFT buffer thing where can set up delay lines in specific frequency zones, and kind of slant the 'read' head to skew all the frequencies in time. It's pretty unique and cool

Mutable Instruments Clouds for Softube Modular.

MMorph, MTransformer, MSpectralDelay. to name a few of Melda... quite capable spectral transformers.

interesting thread. indeed the usual suspects.. and some i didn't know of.

o yes, don't forget about Puremagnetik!!! the spectral suite is sometimes on sale for $20...

and yes of course M4L, that i 'collect', all that can do spectral/granular (not all granulars, because there are a lot... but the really interesting ones). and ableton live 11 suite, is an experimental playground for spectral...

additive transformers??? sometimes things are called spectral while they are additive, but most effects, you can use also filter banks, or resonator banks, they work on fixed frequencies so... are spectral.. an additive effect would give a complete other result...

(additive = harmonics
spectral= harmonics+inharmonics or better harmonics/inharmonics+noise+rest, the full monty so to say... so pitched + unpitched is maybe the most accessible terminology?

there are additive synths that can do inharmonics, don't sound as noise... but are richer in sound...)

a special post next to my last one for

AJAX SOUND STUDIO Cecilia, not realtime, but can do so much....

http://ajaxsoundstudio.com/software/cecilia/

GRM tools seem quite great, but the price? with the tools i have i can do the same things, alhough not always realtime, i am not one that don't want to invest in a special synth or environment, i do, can't do it every month, but regurlaly... still it eats plugin budget.

Hit'n'Mix DeepAudio next to SpectraLayers Pro 8 seems to me also a great combination, in combination with Melda, Unfiltered Audio, the stuff here already mentioned. yes don't have GRM tools, don't have all. limits.. but have DeepAudio & SpectraLayers, more work... can't do all, or o well, with a lot of work, i don't mind.

but spectral effects, there is also a new eq on the block;

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/spctrl-eq-by-tonsturm

ok, the stuff i mentioned also does not come cheap, but has a lot of options... this one... looks great, but the price???
or is it me? and i think you can get MTransformer almost do the same thing... or not... or me like MTransformer better... (have MCompleteBundle, so.. Melda has a lot with spectral capabilities...)

EDIT: i am a Spectral/Additive and Granular Addict... so i use what i have, but look around a lot, but still can accomplish a lot

like MMorph, virsyn spectral synth seems to be more a Morpher only thingy, and expensive, and no development... didn't demo virsyn... so perhaps i am wrong... but MMorph + MTransformer, well spectral heaven..

and Puremagnetik... Unfiltered Audio SpecOps... you don't have to go crazy, like i do...

but for people that do work with GRM, i am looking, well are they worth it??? and why? how do use them?

WasteLand wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:45 pm a special post next to my last one for

AJAX SOUND STUDIO Cecilia, not realtime, but can do so much....

http://ajaxsoundstudio.com/software/cecilia/

GRM tools seem quite great, but the price? with the tools i have i can do the same things, alhough not always realtime, i am not one that don't want to invest in a special synth or environment, i do, can't do it every month, but regurlaly... still it eats plugin budget.

Hit'n'Mix DeepAudio next to SpectraLayers Pro 8 seems to me also a great combination, in combination with Melda, Unfiltered Audio, the stuff here already mentioned. yes don't have GRM tools, don't have all. limits.. but have DeepAudio & SpectraLayers, more work... can't do all, or o well, with a lot of work, i don't mind.

but spectral effects, there is also a new eq on the block;

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/spctrl-eq-by-tonsturm

ok, the stuff i mentioned also does not come cheap, but has a lot of options... this one... looks great, but the price???
or is it me? and i think you can get MTransformer almost do the same thing... or not... or me like MTransformer better... (have MCompleteBundle, so.. Melda has a lot with spectral capabilities...)

EDIT: i am a Spectral/Additive and Granular Addict... so i use what i have, but look around a lot, but still can accomplish a lot

like MMorph, virsyn spectral synth seems to be more a Morpher only thingy, and expensive, and no development... didn't demo virsyn... so perhaps i am wrong... but MMorph + MTransformer, well spectral heaven..

and Puremagnetik... Unfiltered Audio SpecOps... you don't have to go crazy, like i do...

but for people that do work with GRM, i am looking, well are they worth it??? and why? how do use them?
Hiya. Can u talk more about Spectralayers? Cos Spectralayers looks expensive to me.

WasteLand wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:45 pm Hit'n'Mix DeepAudio next to SpectraLayers Pro 8 seems to me also a great combination, in combination with Melda, Unfiltered Audio, the stuff here already mentioned. yes don't have GRM tools, don't have all. limits.. but have DeepAudio & SpectraLayers, more work... can't do all, or o well, with a lot of work, i don't mind.
Would like to get an idea how you use Hit'n'Mix DeepAudio to transform audio. Perhaps start a new thread on Trick and Tips for Hit'n'Mix DeepAudio audio transformation and sound design? Or combine Hit'n'Mix DeepAudio and SpectraLayers Pro 8 in the thread?

I loved GRM tools as far as their sonic capabilities, I wish they'd be re-written though as far as GUI and optimization. I know this stuff is heavy on CPU but surely the new M1 chips will be ideal if these could be re-done.

Did no one mention meta-synth? I haven't revisited that one in a while but I've seen some recent update news.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

HitnMix is by far the best stem ripper Ive tried to date with fewer artifacts and 'stem bleed' than the others I tried
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Omisphere is also useful for this with the granular engine and really good choice of fx.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:03 pm HitnMix is by far the best stem ripper Ive tried to date with fewer artifacts and 'stem bleed' than the others I tried
I believe it was the Sound on Sound magazine when reviewing HitnMix DeepAudio said the same as you about the STEMS being the best.

I think Luftrum Biosphere might qualify since apparently you can drag/drop samples into it. I don't know, I just got it and it's downloading. On sale right now for $95USD see their home page for the code.

^^^ that ^^^
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

NI’s Molekular is really good too.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

In my opinion Unfiltered Audio is pretty good at plugins like this. Byome, Triad, SpecOps and their newer Silo are pretty good options to consider here. Their other effects are worthwhile checking out too.

Return to “Effects”