Any news on the Cubase dongle divorce?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hopefully it won't open the door to rampant piracy. Wasn't SX3 the last version to get cracked?

I have no idea about cracks

They must believe they can pull it off effectively

careyletendre wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:51 am I prefer it and hope they never stop supporting it. It sits comfortably next to my iLok and Propellerhead Ignition key.
My Cubase dongle also sits next to my iLok and my iginition key, all buried deep in a drawer gathering dust. And they'll stay there until the dawn of time.

I get that is it a nice solution for a few people that produce in strict stationary environments, never travel and only collaborate with other people who also work in strictly stationary environments and who never move their computers as well. But normal users with a laptop don't give a damn about this antique paranoid crap anymore. They just click an the S1, Live or Logic icon and are good to go. Whenever and where ever they want.

No hunting for fragile hardware, no cascades of powered USB hubs and no USB adapter chains just to get the permission to actually use the software that they've paid a huge amount of money for (btw, this insanity is something that only legal users have to mess around with, illegal users just use it just like every other modern software on their system: click the icon and it works).

They should get rid of it. E licencer server down again. No activation, upgrade, transfer or trial licences available. 3rd time in a year.

elxsound wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:59 am I have no idea about cracks

Problem is - Whenever there is a software protection, there always will be people competent enough to crack it. Look at all the company's that used software protection to keep their product safe. Every one of them has been cracked sooner or later.
The only products that has not been cracked all used hardware protection (and even then in some cases it did not work). Cubase has not been pirated for a very long time, but the moment they introduce software protection I am sure pirated versions will popup in no time. This will cost them money, and maybe a LOT of money. For now Steinberg could keep their business going on sales only because of the hardware protection. If they could stay in business when pirated versions pop up everywhere remains to be seen.
For the record - I am not "defending" hardware protection (although I personally have no problems with it), but I merely state the possible outcome of letting loose hardware protection.

jclosed wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:47 pm
elxsound wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:59 am I have no idea about cracks

Problem is - Whenever there is a software protection, there always will be people competent enough to crack it. Look at all the company's that used software protection to keep their product safe. Every one of them has been cracked sooner or later.

The only products that has not been cracked all used hardware protection (and even then in some cases it did not work). Cubase has not been pirated for a very long time, but the moment they introduce software protection I am sure pirated versions will popup in no time. This will cost them money, and maybe a LOT of money. For now Steinberg could keep their business going on sales only because of the hardware protection. If they could stay in business when pirated versions pop up everywhere remains to be seen.

For the record - I am not "defending" hardware protection (although I personally have no problems with it), but I merely state the possible outcome of letting loose hardware protection.

Sorry for the above double second corrected post. There seems to be no way to delete your post once submitted.

People would not dream of leaving home without taking their mobile phone with them,so could it be used as a dongle ?

Log into your account and have a secure encrypted elicense key installed on it that emulates the dongle. The phone would then transmit the key using Bluetooth.

Oh no. Not another layer of hardware complexity.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:28 pm Oh no. Not another layer of hardware complexity.
Agreed. I hope not.

Anyway, this whole talk of piracy to me is a moot point.

This is their business and they must have figured out a way to make it sustainable with and without a dongle (because again, they're going to keep both options available).

The hardware licencers are currently the best form of copy protection we have today. It's the least I can do to help protect the company that develops the software I know and love.

Carey

Time for a postcard? I don't what to tell you.

It's their business and they seem to have figured out how to make it work.

You know what they say... if you love them, set them free.

Joni Mitchell sang "You never know what you got till its gone".

And we may look back in years to come and look through rose coloured glasses and fondly remember the much maligned Cubase dongle.

Especially the more so when all DAWs have gone subscription based and locked to the internet.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”