Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

baconpaul wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:51 pm ...I hope this explanation helps clear up how surge works and why we have the version break.
Thanks Surge team for the ongoing clear explanations, the present and future versions are in good hands :hyper:
Cheers

baconpaul wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:51 pm The thing we really need to change is the way DAW automation maps to parameters. That’s the breaking change in XT from Surge 1.9 that motivates a new ID. Otherwise we would probably call it Surge 1.10. But every param has to get a new vst3 ID at the edge of the synth.
It's far easier to just call it: Surge 2
There's your breaking change that is less jarring and more natural. :)
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Except we didn't like that. :)

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:37 pm Except we didn't like that. :)
Was it the boring title? I've worked for years in Hollywood naming sequels for major film franchises. Feel free to use any of these if you like them: Surge Mk II. Surger. Surge Redux. Surge Too. Surge Two: Eelctric Bugaloo. 2 Surge 2 Furious. Too Surge to Handle. Two Surge and a Baby. Surge Hard: With a Vengeance. The Surge Towers. Surge Alone 2: Surge in New York.

No Surge_does_Dallas? :hihi:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:21 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:37 pm Except we didn't like that. :)
Was it the boring title? I've worked for years in Hollywood naming sequels for major film franchises. Feel free to use any of these if you like them: Surge Mk II. Surger. Surge Redux. Surge Too. Surge Two: Eelctric Bugaloo. 2 Surge 2 Furious. Too Surge to Handle. Two Surge and a Baby. Surge Hard: With a Vengeance. The Surge Towers. Surge Alone 2: Surge in New York.
It was the long long history of “abc 2” failing to ship or being a disaster when “abc” succeeded. Surge is too old to be 2 but we needed a new id so xt it was

Pianotec makes a new id for every major version and we’ve discussed that too for the future. But the future is far away. Right now we are just working on a stable xt with new features and new j infra

which version of shortcircuit are you guys working on? been using version version 1 for years and i love it. never got into version 2 though.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:55 am which version of shortcircuit are you guys working on? been using version version 1 for years and i love it. never got into version 2 though.
I get the impression that it’s a hybrid of 1 and 2, plus a bunch of new stuff. To be called Shortcircuit XT.

Halonmusic wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:55 am which version of shortcircuit are you guys working on? been using version version 1 for years and i love it. never got into version 2 though.
The code we have started as a snap of sc2

Not much sc effort this year though. Devs welcome

MTorn wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:44 am
I get the impression that it’s a hybrid of 1 and 2, plus a bunch of new stuff. To be called Shortcircuit XT.
baconpaul wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:43 am
The code we have started as a snap of sc2

Not much sc effort this year though. Devs welcome

i see thanks
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Hey there, I installed Surge a week ago and couldn´t get it to work with the installer. I use the portable version now.
I really like the versatility but also am a bit lost. Mostly when it comes to modulation. As Surge does not have a classical mod matrix it´s not so easy to track everything that is happening. Especially looking for a method to get an overview without clicking through all the mod sources (on all three oscillators on two scenes). Is there a way to produce a simple text file which holds every mod asignment?
I´ve been through the net on this for some days but don´t get anywhere. So forgive me if this is a dumb question or has already been asked.
Thank you for all your effort for this great synth.

The next version of Surge will have a modulation list that contains overview of all modulation in the patch. You can also right-click the modulation assign buttons to see all the targets they are affecting.

You are doing great work @EvilDragon and @bacon :tu:

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:19 pm The next version of Surge will have a modulation list that contains overview of all modulation in the patch. You can also right-click the modulation assign buttons to see all the targets they are affecting.
That is a great move :tu:

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:19 pm The next version of Surge will have a modulation list that contains overview of all modulation in the patch. You can also right-click the modulation assign buttons to see all the targets they are affecting.
Ah...thank´s for that. Very good. Surge is a very good sounding synth and very capable. These are the things that make the difference. Power must be controlled. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”