Rift - A New Type Of Distortion Is Here

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Personally, I'm glad I kept it.

I think I'm going to demo this, but what I'm looking for is a creative distortion unit that does a ton of different types of distortion types/algorithms. I remember there was an Ohm Force plugin that was like that that I demoed over a decade ago that I liked. I think it was Ohmicide.

What's a plugin that's has a lot of good sounding distortion types, but is from an actual active company? I don't care at all about glitch automation or lfo filtering or whatever, just want lots of cool sounding distortion types. Does Rift fit the bill?

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:29 am I think I'm going to demo this, but what I'm looking for is a creative distortion unit that does a ton of different types of distortion types/algorithms. I remember there was an Ohm Force plugin that was like that that I demoed over a decade ago that I liked. I think it was Ohmicide.

What's a plugin that's has a lot of good sounding distortion types, but is from an actual active company? I don't care at all about glitch automation or lfo filtering or whatever, just want lots of cool sounding distortion types. Does Rift fit the bill?
Trash2 but I prefer Rift - much easier to use and modulate. trash2 has a good sound tho. There is also one from Unfiltered Audio that has lots of different distortion models - I prefer Rift to that as well

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:29 am What's a plugin that's has a lot of good sounding distortion types, but is from an actual active company?
The Abuser, by Audiority, has 11 distortion types.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Trash 2, Kombinat, UA Indent 2 but to name three distortion units that really are good. I have a hundred others and they all get used in different situations, the music I used to make was reliant on heavy distortions, so i've tried loads over the years, Ohmicide I still have and use rarely, Camelphat 3 another one I use quite a lot still. Some free ones.

Rift never grabbed my attention, no one in the harder styles is raving about it, they all still mainly use Trash2 or even their DAW's own, Melda free plugins get more attention tbh.

I'm not sh!tting on their plugin, it's just from someone who made a lot of distorted stuff, it never, from a marketing point of view, stood up to the others. There is also no demo, which just ends any hope imo.

Hell I still use Quadrafuzz the original one, that's just pure nasty. ;)
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:29 am What's a plugin that's has a lot of good sounding distortion types, but is from an actual active company? I don't care at all about glitch automation or lfo filtering or whatever, just want lots of cool sounding distortion types. Does Rift fit the bill?
FabFilter Saturn2? (Strength is multiband and vast amount of algos, great mod section)

If you don’t care about modulation then maybe toneProjects Kelvin. (Strenth is emphasis and just plain great algos)

You can also get insane amount of different drives from deceptively simple voxengo powershaper. (Strength is “variation” knob - get 200 different flavours by rotating one knob)

Unfortunately without demoing I won’t bother with Rift for now.

Can’t really gauge its distortion capabilities with only filter

Yeah also picked this up. Awesome plugin and you can go from subtile to extreme in no time.
Distortion types are sounding different enough from many others to keep it. And the build-in filter with some weird filter types makes for awesome tone-shaping distortion, especially when you turn op the amount of stages.

Sound quality is good. Respects the low-end. Very direct sound, in your face i would say. Only some functions (filter spread, distortion morph, feedback) can fk with your phase so be careful.

Anyway, it's easy to use, has interactive help button, is freely resizeable, has tons of presets, mid-side capabilities and easy drag-and-drop modulation including 2 macros.
The only things one could say that are missing are build-in eq and multiband operation.

If i have to compare i'd say it's a cross between Audiothing Wavebox, Izotope Trash2 and Tone2 Filterbank, yet it can sound more extreme than any of these.

Btw : Minimal Audio consists of a few experienced guys, from Output and Unfiltered Audio.

All in all pretty happy with it. Recommended.
More BPM please

LeVzi wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:54 am Rift never grabbed my attention, no one in the harder styles is raving about it, they all still mainly use Trash2 or even their DAW's own, Melda free plugins get more attention tbh.
Weird, i bought it because a lot are raving about it. :wink:

Here's a vid from Fragment Audio, very interesting if you're into harder styles :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGUpTqwZTwY
More BPM please

Output and UA?
That’s kind of good to know. On the other hand the other UA Endeavor (viz - makers of echobit) is pretty unsupported

LeVzi wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:54 am Rift never grabbed my attention, no one in the harder styles is raving about it
?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

dionenoid wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:23 pm
LeVzi wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:54 am Rift never grabbed my attention, no one in the harder styles is raving about it, they all still mainly use Trash2 or even their DAW's own, Melda free plugins get more attention tbh.
Weird, i bought it because a lot are raving about it. :wink:

Here's a vid from Fragment Audio, very interesting if you're into harder styles :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGUpTqwZTwY
Yeah I don't listen to a word they say tbh.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:33 pm
LeVzi wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:54 am Rift never grabbed my attention, no one in the harder styles is raving about it
?
OK maybe extreme harder styles is more accurate. I don't follow hardstyle as a genre.

LeVzi wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:12 pm Yeah I don't listen to a word they say tbh.
Why not ?
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:41 pm
LeVzi wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:12 pm Yeah I don't listen to a word they say tbh.
Why not ?
Why should I ? I simply don't like their stuff.

I'm still in doubts. I don't remember, do Rift has modulation from incoming signal ability, in modulators ?
(And if yes- this is works ok ? I mean - no issues\limited ranges\poor sensitivity etc)
Here again, why this should not be taken in the blind.

Return to “Effects”