Why you left Cubase

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DJErmac wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:30 am I just left Cubase 11 (11.0.30) because for some reason it crashes VERY often in totally random situations (during exports, while adjusting an equalizer, when adding a VST effect...), which almost never happens with Cubase 10.5 where crashes are more than rare. It's supposed to be configured the same way. I'm clueless. Back to Cubase 10.5. Not a problem in any way.
I noticed this. Very weird.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

DJErmac wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:30 am I just left Cubase 11 (11.0.30) because for some reason it crashes VERY often in totally random situations (during exports, while adjusting an equalizer, when adding a VST effect...), which almost never happens with Cubase 10.5 where crashes are more than rare. It's supposed to be configured the same way. I'm clueless. Back to Cubase 10.5. Not a problem in any way.
Is that on Mac or Windows?

EnGee wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:30 am
Windows 10
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

I had three shutdowns this morning. Admittedly I have some background processes going on (Windows update etc) but I was only loading up some untaxing new projects each time - Cubase just disappeared!
I'm used to getting a grey warning screen stating that Cubase wasn't happy when it shut down last time but older versions never just gave up when loading or playing a song with 4 tracks of audio!
I'd be quite happy if Cubase bucked up a bit!

Grum.

jancivil wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:27 pm My favorite version has to be the last one before they got rid of Replace Audio in Video.
Now, one may render the video and everything, but the audio tops out at 16 bit, so my workaround is still in effect (Da Vinci Resolve will use 24 and 32 bit linear PCM very well thank you, and fortunately renders seriously fast here).
Video render in Cubase is now useless for me completely. Every single time it's complaining about something: wrong fps, wrong sample rate, wrong resolution...
It's as annoying as video import which also doesn't like 90% of videos I'm trying to import to Cubase.
They totally f*** up video.

The we have to put everyting on the C drive.
C:// is 60GB SSD the rest ranges from 1TB to 3TB.
Fast to boot doesn't really matter over loaded a ~GB into RAM.
Never actually booted a VST or file where I thought it was slow boot from disk. On the contrary. So I don't have a VST folder on my C drive. In case of VST3 the files are NOT in the folder where all my other plugins are located. It doesn't work..

DJErmac wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:43 am
Windows 10
I for some forgotten reason tried the .3 not-really-a-maintenance update.
IMMEDIATELY consecutive crashes on renders I was doing no worries in .0. So each iteration has been more buggy-seeming, or broken.
OSX Catalina 15.7 (will have been the same on 15.6, I'm 99.99...% certain).

jancivil wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:04 pm
DJErmac wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:43 am
Windows 10
I for some forgotten reason tried the .3 not-really-a-maintenance update.
IMMEDIATELY consecutive crashes on renders I was doing no worries in .0. So each iteration has been more buggy-seeming, or broken.
OSX Catalina 15.7 (will have been the same on 15.6, I'm 99.99...% certain).
Cubase has always been very stable for me before the v11. I really don’t know how they f#cked it up that bad.
I’ll use v10...
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

yeah, 10.5 was totally stable here, never had particular stability issues I could blame on the program. 11.0.0 seems to be the last version for me unless I notice a change in the culture at Steinberg or some sign. Maintenance this is_not, and there are things done which have to be someone making busy work like there's not enough to do.

I want to take this opp to kvetch about one thing which annoys the crap out of me. You can't set a different display grid in Project window than the Key Editor's. So every single launch I have to reset it, I'm not doing the same thing at all from one to the other.
Little annoyances like this become cumulative after a point.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:50 pm worked somehow but felt super clumsy
That's the best way to describe Cubase, though, as I get to know it better and better and master the real CHALLENGE to handle it properly I am (slowly) starting to appreciate its full potential. So I'm still not sure if I would ever switch later.

The real mystery is this: WHY don't they listen to their users and get rid of such a most obvious drawback? I could list endlessly many features that are just extremely awkward to handle because you need thousands of clicks and activate several hidden features whereas in other DAWs it's just a mouse click away to do just the same...

It doesn't make sense to rely on macros and templates all the time if you just want very basic functionality. Why then not just program it into the DAW and make an icon for it? I'm sure everyone could think of some good examples for this now...
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

I bought v10 on -50% crossgrade. I did so because Apple was annoying me to the point of thinking of switching to PC. Bottom line was, it was not as efficient as Logic, nor were the bundled instruments and fx very impressive, again compared to Logic. I have no intention of trying v10 out on the M1 mini.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Cubase is really starting to grow on me!

In a strange way - compared to Bitwig, or even Live - the fact that I can't easily immerse myself endlessly in (easy) sound design with modulators, operators, splitters, layers/selectors, nesting, Grid, etc. helps me focus on actual music more. I much quicker reach the limit of what I can do to the sound - without routing it through several parallel tracks, for example - so out of necessity I need to move forward, either vertically (add new sounds) or horizontally (expand the arrangement).

What would help me move to it seriously, is:
  • that dreadded eDongle - hope it's not far away, because most of the time I can't be bother looking for it in the drawer to plug it into the laptop
  • getting a parameter into automation lane (searching the often endless list of parameters is a no-go; I know I can set automation to Write and wiggle the parameter, but even that requires transport to be running & then I need to remove what was recorded)
  • I love the way Cubase looks, but it's distracting to still see several font types & sizes, some 3D elements are an eyesore (basically whole Mix Console, that bluish "thing" on top of track inspector, the "chrome" control surface editor, etc.); but it's less & less with each iteration
  • lack of MW command to change vertical zoom level of track or piano roll
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Pretty much just the mix fx in studio one. For my purposes the DAWs all kinda do the same thing. There's some workflow issues with S1 because I'm so used to Cubase (like it feels like they almost force you to use the mixer view whereas Im a weirdo who could get along very well never looking at the mixer view in Cubase if I wanted, staying solely in events view unless I was editing midi) but I barely care. I just want to throw some tracks up and then mix some tracks down.

antic604 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:53 am
  • getting a parameter into automation lane (searching the often endless list of parameters is a no-go; I know I can set automation to Write and wiggle the parameter, but even that requires transport to be running & then I need to remove what was recorded)
This is a PITA but in the case of Cubase, it's actually the fastest workaround.

But psst...
They're working on a MIDI/automation/assigning parameters to hardware etc. overhaul. So there's hope for improvement ;)

pixel85 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:11 pmThey're working on a MIDI/automation/assigning parameters to hardware etc. overhaul. So there's hope for improvement ;)
That would be awesome! The awkward mix of constraints & unlimited feature-set that Cubase has for my particular music, workflow and ...mental abilities might be what I'm looking for ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”