How do I get started with composing?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hink wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:17 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:09 pm i bet whale farts stink.
response here
thats very unfortunate. :hihi:

the guy at the Cartoon house who funded it all basically, one of two who had real jobs (now the guy heads up the computer part of Bay Area Rapid Transit) and I had some convos regarding BF Skinner, for sure.

I tend to agree with conditioning rather than real Free Will®, radical behaviorism I'm not so sure about ;)

Did you learn how to play specifically to write music or do you want to write a tune just because you know how to play? You don't HAVE to compose original material yourself. Join a band or find a songwriter to collaborate with. Or join a cover band as you'll make a lot more $$$ on average than playing originals, if you're into that.

Fortunately, for educational purposes bad examples can also be illustrative examples:

"But Master, are you serious, does this mean I cannot write any appealing music if I break any of these rules?"

"Ha, ha, ha. No son. The music is yours, you can do anything with it you like, even though it may only appeal to the few or none but yourself. However, if you take it too far, you may end up like these two, and we wouldn't want that, would we?"
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

nice appeal to popularity fallacy, & right there in your own words. a whole litany of other fallacy will tend to follow, argument to tradition is already one.

Yeah, well, some may say that there are limits to how fallacious a fallacy can be, and that every fallacy can be made on a core of truth and right premises even though the deduction and conclusion are wrong :D
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Catch up with composing, or you will be replaced by AI:

https://youtu.be/FaCk_YU1Q8M
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

"every fallacy can be made on a core of truth and right premises"
how totally post-modern

nothing is true, everything is permitted - the old man of the mountain (king of the hashassins)

licasto2 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:35 pm Did you learn how to play specifically to write music or do you want to write a tune just because you know how to play? You don't HAVE to compose original material yourself. Join a band or find a songwriter to collaborate with. Or join a cover band
Yes. do these things anyway, you'll be better for it.
the OP has left the building tho

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:56 am Fortunately, for educational purposes bad examples can also be illustrative examples:

"But Master, are you serious, does this mean I cannot write any appealing music if I break any of these rules?"

"Ha, ha, ha. No son. The music is yours, you can do anything with it you like, even though it may only appeal to the few or none but yourself. However, if you take it too far, you may end up like these two, and we wouldn't want that, would we?"
we recognise no authority, save that within ourselves

(i think it's the klingons, the voice in the sample, reminds me of a klingon, might be romulan. might be a different show altogether)

i don't think you can be "influenced" down "my path" anyway, it's one of those you find it, if you go looking.

from the outside, you are probably correct, i won't make any great ripples, but from inside, they're the only ripples that count.
if i don't make that which i wish to hear, who will?

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:21 pm Catch up with composing, or you will be replaced by AI:
that's what i told tribe, fux has been computed now.
let's see a computer do this...

/folds fingers in on themselves and wiggles.

ha!

jancivil wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:00 pm "every fallacy can be made on a core of truth and right premises"
how totally post-modern
Oh, is that so...well, given your...creations, I guess you would know, if any :D

I am kidding of course. Jan, you should have been a film composer in that “alternative tonal” (lets call it that instead of atonal, serial or whatever) genre, e.g. horror, sci-fi, fantasy, cartoons et al. You’d kick so much ass. Even caught up in diatonics, I recognize quality when I hear it. It is more than fine to me that you stay out of diatonics and leave no competition for me to worry about. Nothing is as meaningful to a diatonist as when experimentalists compete with experimentalists with the risk of destroying each other.

vurt wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:18 pm
fux has been computed now.
What about Stefan?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Music Theory”