DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:29 pm
HcDoom wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:10 pm Drag and drop modulation is a must imo
Why?
It's fast and efficient.

We also need better implementation of MSEGs like in Serum, Vital or Pigments.

Muziksculp wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:12 pm I wonder if Richard is working on DUNE 4 ?
He nailed the sound and CPU efficiency. He needs to work on GUI.

a9k1tp wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:44 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:12 pm I wonder if Richard is working on DUNE 4 ?
Maybe that's what DUNE 4 will offer, better/faster workflow, a refreshed GUI, with multiple built-in skin options, and a few more cool features.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:38 pm It's super fast.
So is the current system. Drag and drop might be a second faster for some assignments but in reality it won't make enough of a difference if any at all to justify the development time.

Hive 2 has Drag and Drop and I don't find its system any faster as you have click to drag then drag then drop. Either way we're talking about a difference of a second or two at best.

More people have asked for a new preset browser, some people are looking forward to a supposed Memorymoog emulation etc. Synapse Audio is just two guys and there is only so much they can do. Spending time on features of convenience rather than features of function is illogical but that's just my opinion.
chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:38 pmI don't own Dune,
No you don't and if you did you would realize that D&D wouldn't even work for some assignments. For example how would you D&D an LFO to Delay 1 Wet/Dry? They're on different Tabs. But it's a two second task with the current modulation system.
chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:38 pmbut, I think the drag & drop modulation concept is absolutely fantastic, and, indeed, as HcDoom wrote, I think it's kind of a must have these days, because it makes things easier, and faster.
I think D&D is just a fad that people ask for out of habit without actually understanding the current modulation system. Certainly everyone has a right to their own feature requests but to call something a "priority!" is not up to the individual.

But like I said no telling what the future holds at Synapse. I hope they don't waste a second on D&D but maybe they will...time will tell.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

a9k1tp wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:41 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:29 pm Why?
It's fast and efficient.
So is the current system and I'll ask you the same question....how would you Drag and Drop an LFO to Delay 1 Wet/Dry? They're on different Tabs and so on..... :wink:

Again if everybody has a right to make their feature requests then I also have the right to request that Synapse focus on features that actually make a difference to the sound D3 can make.

But in the end they'll do whatever they think is best. My favorite feature requests will never be implemented but that doesn't stop me from enjoying DUNE 3 for what it is today.

All I can say is I hope everybody eventually gets what they want and we'll see what the future holds. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:29 pm
HcDoom wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:10 pm Drag and drop modulation is a must imo
Why? What does it allow you to do that you can't already do? It may make things a little easier but it doesn't affect the sound DUNE 3 can make one bit.

On the other hand for example added Polyphony can allow pads with long release times to "breathe" when playing full fisted chords and comping notes. That feature can have a direct effect on the sound of D3.

I'm perfectly comfortable with the current modulation system and would prefer time be spent on things that expand the range of sounds DUNE 3 can make but there's no telling what the future holds for D3. Maybe some day Drag and Drop will be added. :shrug:
It's WAY quicker to use drag and drop. If you are a professional preset designer it's one of the best features a synth can have. Nothing to do with sound of course, but for workflow it's a massive advantage to have drag and drop.

Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:15 pm
I think D&D is just a fad that people ask for out of habit without actually understanding the current modulation system. Certainly everyone has a right to their own feature requests but to call something a "priority!" is not up to the individual.
LOL, Ok then. :lol:

Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:24 pm

So is the current system and I'll ask you the same question....how would you Drag and Drop an LFO to Delay 1 Wet/Dry? They're on different Tabs and so on..... :wink:
Yes that would be a problem, but I don't care about that. I request features, not design synths! :wink:

For me it is better to implement drag and drop samples in sample Osc. Because when you experimenting with sounds in a DAW, it would be easier then drag and drop the sound from DAW to sample Osc and make further sound design with Dune 3, but to browse sound somewhere in a folder is kind of PITA.

My vote goes for updated preset browser, absolutely! Would be soooooo so good to have something like "favorite" option and search option maybe... I actually quite like the work flow, but sure there are stuff to improve (like the issue when I select Osc voice count sometimes it goes to zero if I click accidentally "wrong" there)

Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:15 pm I think D&D is just a fad that people ask for out of habit without actually understanding the current modulation system.
Do you actually believe such nonsense?

I can only assume that you don't have a synth using drag & drop modulation. Get the Spire or Hive 2 demo, and play a bit with it, and then come back here to say that you find a conventional modulation matrix easier and faster. Will be a good laugh, I'm afraid.

You know, it's all fine that you like Dune, but, you really should come out of defensive mode once in a while, and accept valid suggestions that will make the synth better. On the other hand, thinking about it, it's not YOU who has to accept that anyway, as you don't code the synth. ;)

Muziksculp wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:48 pm
a9k1tp wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:44 pm
Maybe that's what DUNE 4 will offer, better/faster workflow, a refreshed GUI, with multiple built-in skin options, and a few more cool features.
That would be a miracle! Because their code is sculpted on stone! Impossible to change!

Anyway, D4 will be exactly the same as with D3 but with additional filter types and a new skin! Remember! You can add, but never change! :hihi:

I'm using Antidote RE and sometimes D2. I sold D3 as I didn't feel much difference (in the mix) and I'm absolutely into Antidote because of the lovely design/sound :)

The more developers add, the more similar their synths become.
Like, does it really matter anymore whether one uses Dune or Hive or SM 2 etc.?
Few developers add something really new. They just copy from each other...

Similar or not, this is a subjective really. But as a developer, you need to balance the quality with the ease of use. Hive is a pleasure to use, but lacks in sound compared to Dune (mainly because of FM and sync things).
Yesterday I have demoed Saurus from Tone2 and man! It was a pleasure to program. It is one page mostly but with excellent design. The sound is also great with very little cpu usage. In short, there are no shortage of great designed synths, so if a developer is in the game, he/she should play well because there is always an alternative these days ;)

subjective for sure.
i swear every Tone2 synth sounds the same to me.
when i put them along side other synths, the oscillators lack density and the seemingly snappy envelopes are actually kinda smeary. it's like listening to an mp3, i'm not sure exactly how to describe them.
Like Warlock, i made a real snappy techy bass, sounded dope, then i loaded up Ana2 and tried to match it. Adjusted the envelopes with the slope control. Warlock did have some mojo, but Ana2 was tight, shapely. Whereas Warlock sounded like the envelope curve was floppy.
I wanted to like Nemesis, cos i still don't have a dedicated FM synth, but again, playing with the demo, it just sounded so average. I guess the advantage is having a ton of factory presets to play with.

I don't tend to intellectualise Synapse plugins, cos they just sound good to me.
Dune 3 is literally the last plugin on my wishlist, and i'm gonna scoop it up next big sale :)

Return to “Instruments”