"Korg Prophecy" VSTi remake

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

egbert101 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:23 pm
0degree wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:44 pm Wonder what happened to the OP - only 2 posts 14 years ago. Did he find replacement? Why did he sell the original hardware? Did he buy it again? So many questions...
He got eaten by a dinosaur.
AnX?
;)

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not blown away by the sound of the plugin.

In the nineties it was maybe something special, but nowadays there are better choices. It is also possible, that the emulation doesn't cover the original sound. I don't know, I never had a hardware Korg Prophecy....

Me too. I have a Trinity with a MOSS board, and with a few notable exceptions I have always preferred its PCM sounds.

Rastkovic wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:49 am Maybe it's just me, but I'm not blown away by the sound of the plugin.

In the nineties it was maybe something special, but nowadays there are better choices. It is also possible, that the emulation doesn't cover the original sound. I don't know, I never had a hardware Korg Prophecy....
I have a Z1 - maybe the algo's were much improved in that but to me this doesn't come close, not impressed at all by the physically modelled sounds.

0degree wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:44 pm Wonder what happened to the OP - only 2 posts 14 years ago. Did he find replacement? Why did he sell the original hardware? Did he buy it again? So many questions...
He got abducted by Korg and forced to code the Prophecy VST. He got released a few days ago.

andypryce wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:27 pm
He got abducted by Korg and forced to code the Prophecy VST. He got released a few days ago.
:o

Rastkovic wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:49 am Maybe it's just me, but I'm not blown away by the sound of the plugin.

I never owned a Prophecy… because I worked in a music shop that carried them. Frankly, the consensus of the staff was the sound wasn’t great and kind of gimmicky. With all the great Korg synths out there, I’m surprised they revived this one. I’d have loved a DW-8000 emulation. This… not really that interested. Great VA is a dime a dozen (or actually free) and I’m sure any SWAM instrument is going to sound way more convincing than anything the Prophecy could do.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

It's not just about the acoustic models but the whole package
Variable phase modulation , f mod ,osc's can modulate each other , two waveshapers , a global (post filter) feedback routing etc..+ vast modulation system .( hope they iron out the bug )
The potential is huge
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I have the HW and though I haven't done a side by side test to me it is like the original.

It's analog and acoustic modeling plus some other stuff circa 1995. It was a big deal at the time because it went places the ROMplers of the day just couldn't go even though the original was monophonic. The performance controls were also excellent.

By todays standards there are other choices for modeling and some synths that offer a variety of different synthesis techniques. But by modern standards the Prophecy is gloriously imperfect in its own way because when it starts going out of bounds it sometimes does unique things due to the technology of its day. And when it's in bounds, it's still a very capable synth with a variety of synthesis techniques in one package.

AnX wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:57 am Necro alert :hihi:

There is now

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/kc_prophecy/
It's a great emulation, and so much easier to program than the original hardware beast.

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:23 am

I have a Z1 - maybe the algo's were much improved in that but to me this doesn't come close, not impressed at all by the physically modelled sounds.
Just to say the 1.5 update is a huge improvement and now comes much closer to the original and even to my Z1 - it's a really great plugin now

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:37 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:23 am

Just to say the 1.5 update is a huge improvement and now comes much closer to the original and even to my Z1 - it's a really great plugin now
So these emulations are not running the original source code?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

That would mean they would have to emulate the original DSPs, which is not the case here.

I made a demo of the Korg Prophecy 1.5. It sounds more authentic to me especially the physical modeling part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmikUylHW2k&t=25s
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

I own a Prophecy hardware and to me the plugin quite nails it down.
All the quirks for which I am loving the Prophecy, feel a lot like in the original hardware.

I am pretty flashed and using the emulation a lot recently.

Though still not updated to 1.5

Return to “Instruments”