Akai Pro MPC Key 61, firmware 2.10 leaks new MPC keyboard sampler workstation

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
KVRian
713 posts since 17 Oct, 2018

Post Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:25 pm

bmanic wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:59 am
I've been fighting ignorance. Hence the banging of the drum. People seem to be so easily impressed by simple hardware numbers or this and that.. without actually knowing what makes a synthesizer a synthesizer or a dedicated sampler a proper dedicated sampler. Even users that only rely on presets, will in fact benefit from all the tiny bells and whistles of a synthesizers or samplers capabilities due to 3rd parties being able to create better preset/sample packs. Thus the "tiny" details matter.

So if somebody throws out hyperbole, I will respond so as to leave a record of actual facts and to temper the hyperbole. The current MPC product lineup, while pretty damn awesome, are very far from perfect and definitely not in the same category as something like a Korg Kronos.

Then again, we are speculating on a yet not released product. Who knows, maybe AKAI will deliver version 3.0 of the firmware at the time of the 61 Key launch and it'll indeed be as capable.. but I wouldn't count on it. The Kronos is a Kronos due to many different reasons and features.. pretty much none of these something that AKAI has ever explored before so the comparison is probably quite silly. Hence the original reply.

The Kronos is great but there are things the MPC does better that has nothing to do with synthesis. If you are sequencing other hardware the MPC is just better suited for that. You get more tracks than the Kronos (though I believe the Kronos has more audio tracks) and you can connect as many devices to the machine as your USB hub allows. The MPC can record more simultaneous tracks than the Kronos and with the recent update if you connect it to an audio interface you can do as many as 8 tracks (the Kronos does 4 if I'm not mistaken).

The sample editing in my opinion is superior on the MPC. Not only do you get more loop modes, but with the recent updates you now have a tail that you can add to the sample. You have things like lazy chop. On top of all the sample editing functions the MPC has while the Kronos' sampler editing features are relatively rudimentary in comparison. If sample slicing or mangling is your thing the MPC has more features and is easier to use than the Kronos imo. The MPC let's you chop your sample as you sample into the machine. The Kronos doesn't do that (nor will it likely ever as that is not its focus).

I understand sample synthesis is your thing but that's not really important to everyone and trying to paint the MPC as weaker than the Kronos in the sampling area is ignoring what it does exceptionally well (sample editing).

The MPC is not a "Kronos killer" however with the features it has in-terms of sequencing and sampler editing, and number of tracks, CV etc it absolutely curb stomps the Kronos. It just depends on what you are looking for out of a workstation.
Studio One 5.2 // Bitwig 3.3.4 // Logic Pro X 10.6 // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // MPC // Force // Maschine

KVRAF
1760 posts since 12 Mar, 2004

Post Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:07 pm

Why is it being compared to Kronos?
I just don't see the comparisons.
If your plugin is a C++ creation, please don't say so.
If it is, pop round Marcos, he has just bought you a Mac to port it.

KVRian
713 posts since 17 Oct, 2018

Post Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:59 am

bungle wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:07 pm
Why is it being compared to Kronos?
I just don't see the comparisons.
The Kronos (Korg workstations in general) are used for production by a lot of people (the early aughts were just basically Korg workstation sounds). I don't think the two should be compared but it's just an inevitable because not everyone understands that the reason people but a Kronos isn't for it's sampling features, or it's sequencing features etc. People buy it for the sounds. The engines it has. However what the MPC keyboard would do is call into the question the concept of a workstation in general. Traditionally workstations are these monolothic, usually expensive sound machines. A good price and with the features the MPC does have would be good enough for a lot of people who may have had their eye on a traditional workstation.

It would at least push others into the market (you know NI would come out with one). Traditional workstation makers may have to lower prices, or actually innovate in the space (which really hasn't happened in a while). I'm not saying the MPC keyboard would do that, it would have to be successful for that to happen, but just having another player doing something different in the space would hopefully be enough to move the needle.
Studio One 5.2 // Bitwig 3.3.4 // Logic Pro X 10.6 // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // MPC // Force // Maschine

KVRAF
1760 posts since 12 Mar, 2004

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:15 pm

So no comparison then, thought so.

NI can't afford to have another failure standalone.
If your plugin is a C++ creation, please don't say so.
If it is, pop round Marcos, he has just bought you a Mac to port it.

lfm
KVRAF
5745 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:36 pm

bungle wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:15 pm
So no comparison then, thought so.
For some not even the new Nautilus compares to Kronos
- less physical panel controls
- hammond drawbars only on touchscreen

etc

I think apoclypse nailed it in his comment....

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”