What do you prefer?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

even though I prefer mac as an OS I feel like 99% of plugins work on windows so it's a safe bet if you need to choose.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:33 pm New user. 2 posts.
He's back down back to 1 for some reason (mod intervention? )
Do you recall what was the other?
chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:33 pm I'll pass for now.
Ditto, very wise...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I find that Mac tends to be better in general for artistic ventures, similar to how PC holds the edge in gaming. I love using my Mac for production, and I know most of my producer friends prefer it too.

Mac or Windows? :nutter:
OS/2 Warp !!! :tantrum:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Windows, I have less time for Apple with each passing second.

Cockiemusic wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:23 amWhat do you guys prefer? Windows Vs. Mac for music production? And if so... which Pc/Mac do you use?
I don't have an OS preference, as such. What I do is look at all the software I want to use and I choose the OS that best supports it. If you do that, you will pretty much always choose Windows, unless you have a lot of experience invested in Logic or something like that. For many years, it was fait accompli for me, because most of the applications were Windows only - from 3DS Max to Synapse Audio's Orion to SynthEdit - but these days most of the tools I use are cross-platform. But if I look at Studio One as my host/DAW, it very clearly runs much more reliably on Windows than it does on Mac, so sticking with Windows makes a lot more sense to me. So that's what I do.

I have a laptop for all my work, both graphics and music. I recently got a really good deal on a used Asus Zenbook Duo (specs are in my signature) but before that I was using a Dell G7 gaming laptop. I like gaming laptops because they are user upgradeable. I bought the base spec version and added my own second SSD and extra RAM for a fraction of what Dell would have charged. It made it a bargain and I can fiddle with it and not void the warranty.

Another advantage of PCs is bang for your buck. Because I'm a cheapskate, I always wait for a bargain. I bought the G7 when Dell were having a sale and saved Au$700 on the normal price and I got my "new" one for Au$1140, when they are selling for Au$2500 in the shops. See what sort of MacBook you can get for US$835! It won't be anything close to a current model.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BBC Micro Model B

But the 64kb edition, NOT the 32kb. 💪

audiodave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:18 pm I tried both. But, I definitely prefer a good mac OS system. Also, audio routing in Windows is ... completely transparent and obvious.
There, I fixed that for you.
Dust_NL wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:31 pmI don’t think the OS matters, except for stability. The available vst’s matters most. Well… maybe I’m contradicting myself a little bit in my first sentence. I just stated the main reason why I chose a Mac.
I'm not following. Windows is way more stable than macOS in my experience, although Apple have caught up a lot in recent years. And if you're a Studio One user, you'll absolutely have way fewer problems on Windows.
riyakataria wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:40 pmI find that Mac tends to be better in general for artistic ventures
Pure speculation, I'm afraid. As a graphic artist with 25 years experience on both Windows and Mac, plus another 20 years or so as a computer-based performer/musician/producer, I can say without hesitation that Mac offers no advantages whatsoever over Windows when it comes to the creative arts. And in recent times Apple have priced themselves out of the market, with the outrageous amounts they are asking for the new MacPro. The company I work for had been on Mac for 25 or more years but when we moved to a new office at the end of last year, they replaced 40-odd Macs with Windows-based PCs because the fully loaded HP workstations we have now cost less than half as much as a MacPro with similar specs - Au$8.5k against Au$19.5k. That's an upfront saving of something like $440,000! We have one guy who has never touched a PC before but I'd say every other person here is just as happy on PC as they were on Mac. The 3D animators like it way more.

That said, MacBooks seemed to be priced far more competitively these days than they used to. They are still expensive but not as outrageously so as they were a few years ago.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Started on PCs, switched to Mac, Studio One works well for me.

I use a Clevo Laptop with a desktop processor in it. Not the most portable ever but can fit 4 internal SSD's, 2 of them being 3000mbps M.2s. So I can literally have all my sample libraries, backups and all storage in the one pc. Big projects too. Great in between portable and dedicated. It does have to be plugged in to get the power though.

I like Macs better, for general personal use, music production and my job.

Personal use:
I don't play games. Once you take that off the table, I think MacOS is superior to Windows. The quality of Apple hardware is definitely superior to that of any PC vendor.

Music production:
Logic is my preferred DAW, Apple laptops never have ground noise issues (unlike many PCs) and MacOS is far more stable than Windows.

My job:
I'm a software engineer. Excluding people that work at Microsoft or work specifically on Windows software, competent engineers virtually always use MacOS or Linux. Microsoft lost so much mindshare among engineers over the last 10 years that they resorted to embedding Linux inside Windows. It will never be the same as the real deal though.

You can often get better performance from a similarly priced PC, but I don't have high performance needs. I tend to put more value on things like stability, security, battery life, build quality, availability of firmware updates, trade in value and so on. Apple wins on all of those points, without a doubt. The new Apple processors are changing things though. I'm expecting the new MacBooks Pro to have great performance per dollar.

Atari 1040 STe with 4MB of RAM FTW :wheee:

I'm on Windows 10 with an i5 7600+16gb RAM PC with 500gb SSD and 2tb HDD storage.
Never had problems or missed something

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”