Which guitar brands actually make own necks - or just get from Warmoth?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I get the feeling a lot of smaller brands just buy and assemble Warmoth and make own finish, more or less.
- but they charge for custom made guitars in the hi end

Nothing wrong with Warmoth as such, but hardly $4000+ material and knowhow and individual choice of woods etc.

A guy like Chapman, what is the story?
Maybe not seen $4000 ones, but up there in middle range Gibson/Fender prices.

Musicman?
Tom Anderson?

Just curious. :)

Warmoth make great necks...

I've been using them for many years with no issues...

There's an awful lot of BS in the boutique guitar world...

Leo had the right idea from the get go...

Keep it simple :)
No auto tune...

I had both american, mex and whatever squier is - and guess the choice of wood in american makes a difference compared to massproduction in budget range, I mean.

And had Epiphone and Gibson and apart from body still necks are something about in the higher end pricing.

From what I read about Gibson is that body may be onepiece, and harder to find etc - or in lower range multipiece body.

Just apply the same thinking in choice of wood for neck matters. Enough long piece that will make a great neck is harder to find, if picky. Fast growing wood or slower growing and whatever difference it might make. More dense treerings or not and such.

Fairly long piece of wood for a neck, and guess no branches allowed.

My Squier Tele is great, but something about the american one.
Also had mex precision bass and american, same thing.

I'm not sure you really have a great grasp on what makes a good neck from what you write, I am also a huge fan of Warmoth necks...the double truss rod means you'll likely never touch it. One of mine is a birdseye maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard and a wizard profile...sweetest neck I have ever played...that neck is not on a smaller brand guitar, the neck cost more than the smaller brand guitar :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

You talk about
- how truss rod is designed
- what fingerboard it is
and the last technical part would be neck shape that we all prefer different ones.
Other things could be fretwire profiles.
I'm sure that is all good on Warmoth.

I was solely talking about what makes the better sound of an american fender or mex or Squier if indonesia or something. It's something about knowhow and what piece of wood works better than the other.

Some may think you can just pimp electronics like pups, but that is not my experience.

I would suggest you look to neck profiles, to frets and to the truss rod design before you look to sound from you neck...it might not be your experience but common sense seems to suggest various parts each have their own priorities. Your experience may differ but for me the feel of the neck is far more important than the tone, the body and the electronics where tone is defined is where I address tone. :shrug:

btw, trussrod design is quite important.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-truss-rod

Both my strat and baritone are double truss rods :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Never once looked at what kind of truss rod there is, only that there is one.
Especally on a nylon acoustic since not always there, Cordoba is one that has it. So being in nordic country this is essential.

Neck profile - not sensitive to me
Fretboard radius - considered
Fretwires height and width - considered

What I expect is better tone, acousticly to start with.
Good foundation for the rest.

I also seing the incredible result on a couple of Gibsons just having less weight in headstock, moving from Grover to Schaller Keystone tuners - this indicate importance of neck.

To describe american guitars in comparison with budget same models is a sturdy steady firmness in tone acoustically.

I looked around yesterday and found this about woods and necks

Some place said that necks should be as transparent as possible and not take energy from strings. So that max is transferred to bridge and body.

Another place said necks contribute to resonance. Not sure if contradictory to above or not.

https://www.electricherald.com/wood-sel ... ts-grains/

This buyers guide to used guitars is cool(neck stuff too)
https://www.electricherald.com/buying-u ... ars-guide/

How to spot aging of necks that were not completely dry at manufacturing and look for patterns that reveal that, kind of interesting.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/tonew ... -tonewoods

i dont need another place to tell me, I've got decades of experience...have a good night :)

Hink wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:52 am i dont need another place to tell me, I've got decades of experience...have a good night :)
Are you talking to me, because I am not talking to you ;)

Just a thread with an alternative to "what will you get ....." , the only thing happening here....takes weeks to get to second page, kind of.....

no actually you're talking but not listening, I never said neck wood didnt make a difference, I said you should worry about tone where tone is defined. But then you keep moving the goal posts, first it's about Warmoth but when you are challenged on your inaccurate points not only to you back away from that but you bring up nylon string acoustic :shrug:

What happened to those necks Hink ?

Did they get burnt in a bushfire ? :)
No auto tune...

637usd

what about neck-thru or set-in constructions? while the first one is surely hard to manage for us lower townfolks, the second one is more likely to be managable by a private peasant.
does warmoth have set-in necks?

Friend of mine just bought, and is extremely pleased with, a custom built tele from Mike Smith http://www.mikesmithguitars.com/guitars.html based in Southport, UK - he makes neck and body from scratch.

My mate lives in Southport so was able to take along a couple of examples of what he was after neck-wise, and was able to pop in and see progress along the way - and, like an antenatal father at an ultrasound, he bonded with that guitar before it was even a guitar.

Mike's bread and butter seems to be building Status Quo models, but don't hold that against him. His prices are very, very keen, but there is a waiting list. He's highly rated.

Return to “Guitars”