Why don't more people use Tracktion Waveform?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:06 am
JamelaBanderson wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:50 pmI find the session view in Ableton indispensable. For me, any DAW that hopes to compete with it should have a comparable feature.
Really? I look at it and can't for the life of me see why I would want to use it.
you've never wanted to experiment with your arrangement without having to constantly cut/copy paste and start/stop the playhead?...you've never wanted to experiment with mixing and combining different compositional ideas and differing motifs that didn't evolve linearly from a single theme or event?...have you tried it?...the first time I tried it when ableton first dropped I found it fun and gratifying and immediately saw the appeal and potential....I think if you have ever DJed especially with vinyl, you instinctively got it
BONES wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:06 am It would make more sense to me if it was horizontal, rather than vertical, I think.
sure...your not the only one...I've heard others say the same thing and I'm surprised more of the similar tools utilizing the composition as a spreadsheet concept haven't rotated the session view 90deg...it's an interesting human factors question...the cognitive performance of orienting the time domain as left to right as opposed to top to bottom...but lots of people love trackers which orient like scenes in session view
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

bermudagold wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:21 amyou've never wanted to experiment with your arrangement without having to constantly cut/copy paste and start/stop the playhead?...you've never wanted to experiment with mixing and combining different compositional ideas and differing motifs that didn't evolve linearly from a single theme or event?
I don't really think like that while I'm working, my process is far more organic, but this workflow pales in comparison to Orion's proper pattern/song mode workflow, which makes those things so simple that it all seems to just happen. Of course, that's gone now that we've moved on from Orion so it will be interesting to see how our next album goes without it but so far it's not been anything I miss. But I don't find moving stuff around on Studio One's timeline to be a hassle at all and the tools it has for working on arrangements seem to me to be way more useful than Session view.
tools utilizing the composition as a spreadsheet concept
There you go, do you really see music as something you can improve with the use of a spreadsheet?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:23 am I don't really think like that while I'm working, my process is far more organic, but this workflow pales in comparison to Orion's proper pattern/song mode workflow, which makes those things so simple that it all seems to just happen. Of course, that's gone now that we've moved on from Orion so it will be interesting to see how our next album goes without it but so far it's not been anything I miss. But I don't find moving stuff around on Studio One's timeline to be a hassle at all and the tools it has for working on arrangements seem to me to be way more useful than Session view.
Fair enough...never got to try Orion but heard good things...reminds me in some ways of MuLab
BONES wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:23 am There you go, do you really see music as something you can improve with the use of a spreadsheet?
lol...its just another abstraction....a way to represent information and data like any other...it has its utility....but ur right, the similarities to a spreadsheet plus the utilitarian interface of Live's implementation turn plenty of people off...I had a collaborator who utterly despised looking at ableton lol
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

hoxclab wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:00 pm It's horribly designed and it's not intuitive. It might possibly we the worst DAW out currently.
You’ve clearly never used Reaper!

Waveform is the most logical, simplest DAW to do the basics in. It’s a flow from left to right. Dead simple. Drag and drop. Inputs on the left. Outputs on the right. Music in the middle. Super fast and brilliant.

Move away from the basics and things can get a bit more convoluted, but that’s true of Studio One as well, for example. Once you start pushing the design metaphor each DAW adapts (or lack of one, in the case of Reaper), things get squishy.

I also am very happy to have a DAW with no plugins included. I took the money I saved and bought the ones that were better and that I wanted. I use maybe one or two plugins from Studio One, and only sometimes. Talk about a waste of space and code I had to pay for (the plugins).

Plugin scanning: it’s not slow. I’d call it medium. Ever use Mixbus32C? That’s slow! But getting better. And the ability in Waveform to organize your plugins how you want, named what you want, is something every DAW should have. I miss that a lot in Studio One. Studio One can’t even seem to tell you what version the plugin is (or I’ve not yet discovered that).

Is it more stable now?

I tried Tracktion 7, and it was a nightmare, with lots of random crashes, and plugins not opening.

Giova942 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:15 pm Is it more stable now?

I tried Tracktion 7, and it was a nightmare, with lots of random crashes, and plugins not opening.
There are a number of plugins it doesn't read but it's pretty stable these days.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:36 am Move away from the basics and things can get a bit more convoluted, but that’s true of Studio One as well, for example. Once you start pushing the design metaphor each DAW adapts (or lack of one, in the case of Reaper), things get squishy.
Very wisely said.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

I find Waveform interesting, but inefficient, though I don't think it looks unprofessional. I wonder if they've ever tracked recognition time, mouse mileage, clicks, and steps? I sometimes wonder if anyone has.

I love it. More powerful than people realize.

Hard to say, since every system is different. T7 was one of the most stable versions for me. I’m not using it as much now, but they skipped going to v12 and did an 11.5 instead, focusing on quality over new features this time. You’d have to try it. I can say that Studio One has been less stable for me than 11/11.5, but that doesn’t mean anything for your system.

Erisian wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:17 pm

There are a number of plugins it doesn't read but it's pretty stable these days.
I have hundreds of plugins and it seems to read them just fine. Which ones are causing you trouble, and have you contacted them about it? No different than Studio One Pro for me - but Waveform has a far more usable plugin management Ux.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:15 pm
Erisian wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:17 pm

I have hundreds of plugins and it seems to read them just fine. Which ones are causing you trouble, and have you contacted them about it? No different than Studio One Pro for me - but Waveform has a far more usable plugin management Ux.
I think its just the 32 bit ones. I'm not fussed - all my favourites work.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”