WTF Arturia?! 13.9GB and 670k files!!!?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

syntonica wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:03 am Oh, and the ability to Just Say No! to .nkis. The whole suite would be sleeker, perkier and come in under 1Gb for the whole package.
It also annoyed me that things I would never use were being installed, but I figured out that you can do a custom install if you disable the silent install option under preferences in the software center. The "ThirdParty Resources" component is what to disable for .nkis.

custom.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dozius wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:42 pm
syntonica wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:03 am Oh, and the ability to Just Say No! to .nkis. The whole suite would be sleeker, perkier and come in under 1Gb for the whole package.
It also annoyed me that things I would never use were being installed, but I figured out that you can do a custom install if you disable the silent install option under preferences in the software center. The "ThirdParty Resources" component is what to disable for .nkis.

custom.png
Cool! I'll have to see if this exists on the Mac side of things. I'm sure there's probably another 30Gb update waiting for me.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

We need to make a petition about this Bloatware. The installer should give an option what GUI sizes you need.
I hope their DSP coders are more professional than Gui designers because skins are a fat mess. I once tried to delete skin folders that are higher than 100%. That was a disaster. :) Half elements black. This means that even if you use only one size gui, the skin still uses elements from other sizes. :dog:

WasteLand wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:39 pm you can set in the arturia software center where the source files must be located...

preferences -> source files...

EDIT: indeed it is a sort of crazy solution.. althoughs knob-pictureres....... but o well... a 500Gb boot drive is necessary these days, although a 256Gb can hold a lot, mainly if it isn't a laptop...
Yeah, noticed that too. Problem is, I never EXPECTED for their stuff to take so much space. If it was a Kontakt library bank or something, then I could understand. But those are synths & effects, which are calculated realtime. It never crossed my mind that graphic assets would take 100x the size of plugins themselves.

I spent all evening yesterday uninstalling everything & installing again (junction link for some reason wasn't working) :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I just tried uninstalling the unneeded files for the 100% and above resolution. So I went to C:\ProgramData\Arturia\Buchla Easel V\resources\bitmap\bmp and deleteed the 200% folder. And after that the plugin shows an error on loading and doesn't open. This is really weird they don't even allow you to delete the files manually.

I couldn’t care less about Arturia’s install size because I have all my music related stuff on an external 1TB ssd.

u-he synths and Reaper hands down do the best resource management - everything is in one folder. That's it. That's how it should be, always. Huge bonus points for u-he for including the license files in there too - to need to re-register anything.

Windows' programs are insane with regards to where the data should be stored. There's My Documents, there's Program Files (both for x86 and x64), there's Common Files (in Program Files), ProgramData folder, AppData/Local and AppData/Roaming... plus the much loved registry. A lot of programs seem to crap randomly in a bunch of these folders, and then their uninstallers never clean their mess up. This never made any sense to me. How Windows deals with it's data management and file systems is quite a bit different than Linux. Why in the world would they even begin to bother to compartmentalize this stuff when even on Linux it never works out either, and it's built for it from the ground up.

I swear, music software is just the worst at it. VSTs especially are a stinking pile of garbage. I just want everything in ONE FOLDER. It's the only thing that makes any actual sense. It's the only thing that allows extremely easy and seamless hard drive and even OS transitions.

As for Arturia - last time I've tried their synths, all of the installers put broken shortcuts for the nonexistent standalone versions that I choose not to install. Great QA. Their UIs are also sluggish and janky, and for some reason the transition between presets in any synth takes way too long than it should. Seems like most of the money goes to their marketing department, as is the norm for bigger companies (don't even get me started on Steinberg's whole install process, it's an absolute joke... NI as well, Waves too, but everyone knows about Waves by now I think).

Chrisk-K wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:24 amI couldn’t care less about Arturia’s install size because I have all my music related stuff on an external 1TB ssd
Bravo! You're so brave & smart! :clap: :party:
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:37 pmI started using computers seriously in early 90s and computers at the time could run a full music software, office suite or full game out of RAM footprint that nowadays wouldn't fit an application icon. Nowadays devs don't optimise anymore (not all, but many) because the user can always throw more & newer hardware at the "problem" :(
A few differences. In the 90s it would have cost more to store 1MB than it costs to store 1GB today, so it's a simple matter of perspective. Things may take up more space but that space is costing you less. In 1987 I paid $400 to double the RAM in my DSS-1 from 256kb to 512kb. That was the equivalent of $1600 per MB or $1.6million per GB!

Also, in the 90s it would have all been 16 and 32 bit software, so it didn't need to take up much space. 64 bit software seems to take up masses of space and require ridiculous specs to run. I am yet to experience any benefit in having moved from 32 bits to 64, it's largely felt like a waste of time to me. But storage these days is so cheap, why would developers worry about it if it improves the performance of their applications?
Chrisk-K wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:24 amI couldn’t care less about Arturia’s install size because I have all my music related stuff on an external 1TB ssd.
That's very inelegant. My content and project files all live on a 512GB microSD card inside my laptop. Much tidier. My laptop is 1TB NVMe SSD so I really don't care how much gets installed there but it's convenient to be able to pop out the card and pop it into another machine, I reckon it saved me 10 or more hours when I was setting up my new laptop last week.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

alberto_balsalm wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:24 am Windows' programs are insane with regards to where the data should be stored. There's My Documents, there's Program Files (both for x86 and x64), there's Common Files (in Program Files), ProgramData folder, AppData/Local and AppData/Roaming... plus the much loved registry. A lot of programs seem to crap randomly in a bunch of these folders, and then their uninstallers never clean their mess up. This never made any sense to me. How Windows deals with it's data management and file systems is quite a bit different than Linux. Why in the world would they even begin to bother to compartmentalize this stuff when even on Linux it never works out either, and it's built for it from the ground up.
I'll add one to the bunch. 32bit shared DLLs live in SysWOW64 folder and 64bit shared DLLs live in System32 folder. (No thats not a typo). Go figure.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

As for Arturia's use of the Windows Registry, have a look at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs

One entry for each preset ;) (Not even one per synth, which would make more sense to me)
Last edited by DarkStar on Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:38 amA few differences. In the 90s it would have cost more to store 1MB than it costs to store 1GB today, so it's a simple matter of perspective. Things may take up more space but that space is costing you less. In 1987 I paid $400 to double the RAM in my DSS-1 from 256kb to 512kb. That was the equivalent of $1600 per MB or $1.6million per GB!
No shit :dog: But you're missing one crucial element - we're talking about synths & FX here and the actual synthesis & sound processing code even if it grew 10x in size, would still be in the ballpark of couple of MBs tops. No matter the architecure (your ignorant 64-bit rant). The problem is devs - Arturia, in this case - went lazy with all the assets. It's not normal for a musical instrument or audio FX when 90%+ of its install are graphical assets.

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:38 am...But storage these days is so cheap, why would developers worry about it if it improves the performance of their applications?
The problem is it doesn't. They install long, they load up in the DAW long, they get sluggish easily. Compare them to e.g. U-He plugins or most plugins really. It's a shit show.
Music tech enthusiast

Maybe there’s a secret synth design competition based on the Arturia’s bitmap files. Frankensynth Challenge. They are just providing the material.
Han

ahmadfarihan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:10 pm Maybe there’s a secret synth design competition based on the Arturia’s bitmap files. Frankensynth Challenge. They are just providing the material.
Tonto-V!
Image Image Image Image

I would say to anyone that doesn't like to download large files to immediately stop doing so.
Go with a few lean vst's and learn them well.
Produce music rather than a wall of text which does nothing but prove a lack of talent.
Sorry but I hate it when talentless musicians whine.

Return to “Instruments”