Is it safe to buy Logic Pro X today?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apologies for the weird title but have there been rumours of a major version update soon? Apple's Store has no grace period policy so I wouldn't want to buy Logic if there is an imminent update.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I think that the updates have been free for a while

v1o wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:03 am Apologies for the weird title but have there been rumours of a major version update soon? Apple's Store has no grace period policy so I wouldn't want to buy Logic if there is an imminent update.
All major updates have been free for years. The next one probably will be too. That is not possible to say with 100% certainty but it will most likely again be free.

Apple sells hardware and uses Logic/FCP to drive those sales. I would hazard that the updates will continue to be free, but will keep adding great features and continue to leave earlier OSes behind so that you have to buy new hardware if you want to keep up-to-date. Mac users are notorious for hanging onto their hardware as long as possible. I've had my MacBook Pro 2014 since they came out and the new M1-based Macs are the first that have tempted me to upgrade.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

the .x versions are free but i'd be surprised if a full version update is free.. so from 10.6.x to 11.0 will likely be paid update.

but 10 came out how long ago? years? i think 2013 is when logic pro X came out. and logic pro 9 came out 4 years before that which was then the longest period between version numbers.

so, who knows when logic pro 11 will come out? no one knows.

mac rumors is saying spatial audio tools is coming to logic later this year... but who knows if that's going to be V11 or 10.7 or whatever..

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/06/08/lo ... this-year/

there's a 90 day trial of logic pro for free so you could do that and hope the new version comes out before the trial is over?

Logic Pro X doesn’t exist anymore, it’s just Logc Pro and probably free for life updates.

What about that rumor from a few months ago that Apple was planning a subscription for its Pro apps? Source was on Mac news sites. It already sounded very concrete for Finalcut Pro - and for Logic (because also Pro App) some people got nervous.

EDIT: e.g. source here: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/02/24/fi ... scription/

Apple used to have some type of grace policy. Not exactly the same situation but similar. I had been using Logic express and decided to finally upgrade to Logic Pro. Bought in and a few months later Logic Pro came out. Contacted apple and they gave me Logic Pro for Free. Logic 9 continued to work also. I was a satisfied customer to say the least. Whether that would happen now is anyone's guess, but I really expect all versions to remain free updates. Be very surprised to see a change in their policy. Final Cut Pro has had major updates and remain free updates.
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

If they manage to pull off subscription based service on those 5 apps, than they are masters.

Crossinger wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:50 am What about that rumor from a few months ago that Apple was planning a subscription for its Pro apps? Source was on Mac news sites. It already sounded very concrete for Finalcut Pro - and for Logic (because also Pro App) some people got nervous.

Subscription is a tool companies use to ensure steady and equally distributed over time inflow of money, which is what previous / current business model is lacking, i.e. a peak around a release of new version every 2-3 years.

In that sense I'd imagine Apple is the last DAW developer that needs that from financial perspective, whereas it could potentially hurt their image quite a bit.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

200.gif
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Ok, so what do you like about the CURRENT version of Logic Pro? Is it worth 200 buck for you? If so, get it. You obvioulsy like the current version, otherwise you wouldn't be interested in buying it. Also, with Apple, the updates come when they are ready, usually without announcements. If you wait...well, there's always gonna be a better version, obviously.

Traditionally there is a Logic Update on/around the release of a new version of MacOS. We know Monterey is coming in September/ Fall. Yes they dropped the X, so you could bet on upgrades being “free” or not. Logic updates only support the current and previous version of OS. So if your Mac doesn’t support either of the two OS, you’ve either remain at your current level of Logic or buy new(er) hardware. They essentially have an upgrade program if staying up to date with the latest and greatest features is your thing. On the other hand if vNext of Logic is a paid upgrade that would sting if you bought it now.

If you can demo it (not sure that’s still available) do that until next version comes out if your conservative. But by all means the current version is the best value out there for all you get.

superscan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:10 pm Traditionally there is a Logic Update on/around the release of a new version of MacOS.
True, and they dropped the "X" from Logic Pro when Big Sur was released. That seems like an indication to me that there are no plans for an XI, just continued updates to LP. The last major update added so many great features (e.g., that killer step sequencer) that it would've be a paid upgrade by most other DAWs' standards. :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

antic604 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:37 pm
Crossinger wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:50 am What about that rumor from a few months ago that Apple was planning a subscription for its Pro apps? Source was on Mac news sites. It already sounded very concrete for Finalcut Pro - and for Logic (because also Pro App) some people got nervous.

Subscription is a tool companies use to ensure steady and equally distributed over time inflow of money, which is what previous / current business model is lacking, i.e. a peak around a release of new version every 2-3 years.

In that sense I'd imagine Apple is the last DAW developer that needs that from financial perspective, whereas it could potentially hurt their image quite a bit.
If most certainly would hurt them. I love Logic as my one and only DAW, but if they went subscription only, I would move to something else. I hate subs far more than I love Logic.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”