Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Unify (Standard Edition)

Shane, are there any plans to integrate the ShowMidi keyboard into Unify (with the ability for the user to hide it) so that, in the end, Unify's GUI would look like in John's livestreams? I think this would be a nice feature.
I know that there already is a keyboard; I am only thinking of placing it below the GUI (so you could see and use the CC knobs or transport controls at the same time). [Sorry if this has already been asked before.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Any chance, Plugin Guru, you can address AU? AUs still do not scan properly which limits my use of Plugin Guru. I really need you to fix this in order for Plugin Guru itself to match the features advertised on your site for which I made the purchase decision. If you aren't going to fix it, can I get a refund? I've brought this up from the beginning numerous times and have been told "it will be fixed" but it has not. I'd prefer not to be led on.

Waiting for AU as well, and for Unify to run M1 native. But I know PlugInGuru and Shane have a lot on their plate, so I’m patient. Unify is already incredible and will be even more so in the future. Kudos to both devs!

e-musician wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:04 am Shane, are there any plans to integrate the ShowMidi keyboard into Unify...?
The existing MIDI keyboard view essentially IS ShowMIDI; it's the same code. What specific feature of the ShowMIDI plug-in are you missing?

plexuss wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:49 pm Any chance, Plugin Guru, you can address AU? AUs still do not scan properly which limits my use of Plugin Guru. I really need you to fix this in order for Plugin Guru itself to match the features advertised on your site for which I made the purchase decision. If you aren't going to fix it, can I get a refund? I've brought this up from the beginning numerous times and have been told "it will be fixed" but it has not. I'd prefer not to be led on.
Please email UnifySupport@PlugInGuru.com and request a refund. I have alerted John so he will know to watch out for your email.

Unify's automated plug-in scanning is not perfect, but I'm sorry to hear that you're prepared to give up on Unify entirely because of it. I usually advise people to register plug-ins individually by dragging them into the Known Plug-Ins list view, each time you need a new one. That's what I do myself.

If this is unacceptable, please email John and Taylor at UnifySupport@PlugInGuru.com and request a refund. I have alerted John about this.

Amazing support :tu:

Fleer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:00 am Waiting for AU as well, and for Unify to run M1 native. But I know PlugInGuru and Shane have a lot on their plate, so I’m patient. Unify is already incredible and will be even more so in the future. Kudos to both devs!
Thank you for the kind words. M1 support is not hard; Intel/ARM bridging is the hard part. I have built ARM versions of Unify in-house for some time. They can run all Audio Unit plug-ins (both Intel-only and ARM-ready), but can only run ARM-ready VST/VST3 plug-ins. Apple built bridging support for AUs into macOS, but host-program vendors will each have to roll their own for VST/VST3. I can tell you from experience that this is very difficult.

I'm very interested in Mac users' thoughts on this issue: Would a version of Unify that can only run ARM-ready VST/VST3 plug-ins be useful?

Most apps and plug-ins can be built as "universal binaries" (with both ARM and Intel versions in a single file), but this wouldn't work so well for Unify, because macOS doesn't provide an easy way to run the Intel version (using Rosetta 2) whenever you might need it. I would probably have to make separate "Unify" and "Unify-ARM" builds of the stand-alone, VST, VST3, and AU plug-ins--eight separate executables instead of four. On an M-series Mac, you would then choose the Intel version only if you need to load or create patches with at least one Intel-only VST or VST3 plug-in. Over time, as more and more companies update their plug-ins, you might do this less often, but for many people, there would always be one or two that you can't do without, and even one in a patch would mean you have to run in Intel/Rosetta mode.

My guess is this would get tiresome really quickly. What do folks think?

I’m planning on only running M1 native. Call it a way to weed through my overgrown garden of plug-ins. But essentially this will be my way to run a clean setup with as few hiccups as possible. So, for me, I would love an “ARM only” version of Unify.

getdunne wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:02 pm
e-musician wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:04 am Shane, are there any plans to integrate the ShowMidi keyboard into Unify...?
The existing MIDI keyboard view essentially IS ShowMIDI; it's the same code. What specific feature of the ShowMIDI plug-in are you missing?
As I said above: To make it possible for the user to place/attach it below the GUI (so you could see and use the CC knobs or transport controls AND Show Midi at the same time), just like John does in every livestream (see the picture above). At the moment you would have to sacrifice the CC knobs mode view if you wanted to see the keyboard. To put in a very simple way: Could you make Unify look like in the picture above,or would that be too difficult to do?

e-musician wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:23 pm As I said above: To make it possible for the user to place/attach it below the GUI (so you could see and use the CC knobs or transport controls AND Show Midi at the same time)...
Thanks for clarifying. This has been requested before, and is on our long-term to-do list.

An ARM only version of Unify is useless for me. Ableton does not support M1 native. Bitwig does not support AU. These are my preferred DAWS.

FotoxBr wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:57 pm An ARM only version of Unify is useless for me. Ableton does not support M1 native.
I would give Ableton some breathing room. I imagine that their devs are working on it... they might be slow at times, but they eventually get it right!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

FotoxBr wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:57 pm An ARM only version of Unify is useless for me. Ableton does not support M1 native. Bitwig does not support AU. These are my preferred DAWS.
Well, maybe I have to correct myself and say that at this point in time an ARM only Unify VST could have some use when used in Bitwig. But when I would have to choose from different copies of Unify each time it would not be a "universal" plugin :-)

Re Unify and M1/ARM support, if anyone is interested, I wrote a detailed post about this on our Forum some time back: https://forums.pluginguru.com/questions ... e-silicon/

I sometimes think that an ARM version of Unify might attract the Apple in-crowd and related press attention. Not that this necessarily is a good thing ;)

Return to “Instruments”