massive vs massive x

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Quarantine - Massive X Presets

I already have massive. Is massive x worth buying?

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Massive X is a pretty good synth, the only thing missing is that you can't import wavetables. It might come in a later update, and they did include a lot to play around with, still think they really missed out not including it though

Pretty different synths.

I just wanted to say that there's a demo, but, obviously, there's no demo for Massive X. :o

Anyway. I never was a huge fan of the original Massive. The sound always left me kind of unexcited, and the wavetables aren't super top either. There are some things about the operation which the original Massive did pretty well. Apart from that, I hardly use it. Massive X is a completely different animal. Sound wise, I'd rather it in the top 3 of such "flagship" type synths. If you like analog modelled soft synths, and always felt like you'd like to have that in a synth which does unison and all that, I'd look no further. There are some downsides on the GUI and operation side, and, unfortunately, it doesn't have MIDI learn either (I guess they will add that at some point though), but, that doesn't hold me off from using it.

To not sound redundant, I'd say the difference is not miniscule.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I would highly recommend buying it for ethical reasons.
Natives Instruments is a small startup of natives of the germanium tribe in the berlinus range and they dearly need your help.
The are haunted by a kind of dementia basica that often befalls aging wizards of the IO kind.
Long after creating the "genre defining massive" - they can't remember what that's supposed to mean now - they tried to remember how they did that and do it again, but sadly on the way there they got abovementioned attack of dementia basica selloutica and while some advanced things seemed to work out well, weren't even able to remember how to create a preset browser and many other basic things they did a hundred times before very well.
So it's the humanitarian duty of every right-thinking person to support those poor beings.
They are a sad picture now, bloated beyond believe, forgetting their purpose and direction and just living in a world of dreams and the glorious past.
With your money, and your patience, these beings may be able over time, to remember something.
And if not, you made some poor devils live more bearable.

Cheers ;-)

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

You should really start a political coalition against NI. ;) Like, burn flags and stuff, in front of their HQ in Berlin. Burn the CEO's cars and stuff.

Nah. Just having fun with another behemoth going through the typical convulsions after the soul has left... ;-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Massive X has some unique features that I really like. Lots of sound sculpting options too. But the lack of a proper preset browser (especially for us third-party sound developer) is a massive facepalm. I just don't know what they are thinking! However, it is possible to get some unique sounds from it and in my opinion it leads to very different sounds than the original Massive.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:40 pm I would highly recommend buying it for ethical reasons.
Natives Instruments is a small startup of natives of the germanium tribe in the berlinus range and they dearly need your help.
The are haunted by a kind of dementia basica that often befalls aging wizards of the IO kind.
Long after creating the "genre defining massive" - they can't remember what that's supposed to mean now - they tried to remember how they did that and do it again, but sadly on the way there they got abovementioned attack of dementia basica selloutica and while some advanced things seemed to work out well, weren't even able to remember how to create a preset browser and many other basic things they did a hundred times before very well.
So it's the humanitarian duty of every right-thinking person to support those poor beings.
They are a sad picture now, bloated beyond believe, forgetting their purpose and direction and just living in a world of dreams and the glorious past.
With your money, and your patience, these beings may be able over time, to remember something.
And if not, you made some poor devils live more bearable.

Cheers ;-)

Tom
:lol:

Brilliant :clap:
No auto tune...

My bad then. The "Demo" button is simply missing on the German Massive X page.

No worries - it's not the first time Massive X has had some questionable documentation! ;)

Gorgeous synth IMO, and extremely deep for sound design... but certainly not without its idiosyncrasies, both in terms of documentation and layout. I definitely had to do some RTFM to figure out a few things, thus far.

They could have made the UI more user friendly as well, it looks pretty and all but is much less intuitive than you normally get on a modern synth. It sounds completely different from the original Massive though, and is certainly often overlooked compared to other high end synths

andrelafosse wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:44 am Gorgeous synth IMO, and extremely deep for sound design... but certainly not without its idiosyncrasies, both in terms of documentation and layout. I definitely had to do some RTFM to figure out a few things, thus far.
Yep, definitely. And, even with the manual, I have a bit of a hard time figuring some stuff out. :) It's not perfect, but then, none of our audio software really is.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”