WTF Arturia?! 13.9GB and 670k files!!!?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Norqa wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:25 pm I would say to anyone that doesn't like to download large files to immediately stop doing so.
Go with a few lean vst's and learn them well.
Produce music rather than a wall of text which does nothing but prove a lack of talent.
Sorry but I hate it when talentless musicians whine.
Self-awareness fail :dog:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Norqa wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:25 pm I would say to anyone that doesn't like to download large files to immediately stop doing so.
Produce music rather than a wall of text which does nothing but prove a lack of talent.
Is whining about whining self-aware, or it's still evolving?
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Dencheg wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:54 pm

Is whining about whining self-aware, or it's still evolving?
Self aware and evolving I think unless you take the Churchland approach?
Eliminative Materialism :)

^ This statement clearly indicates mastery and talent…
Han

ahmadfarihan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:17 pm

^ This statement clearly indicates mastery and talent…
Advice doesn't imply talent.
A good set of ears never hurt a production.

Guys, it's just a childish troll. Just ignore or block him.

Back to topic: I tried https://imageoptim.com/mac and set the options to 90% PNG and EXTRA in the optimize page. Just did it for the 100% folder of ARP 2600 V3 and the software took a very, very long time to do its magic. But the folder was half the size and I can't see a difference in the UI. Did anybody test software like these to reduce the size of these images?

antic604 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:40 amBut you're missing one crucial element - we're talking about synths & FX here and the actual synthesis & sound processing code even if it grew 10x in size, would still be in the ballpark of couple of MBs tops.
You're missing one crucial element. The synths and effects have grown in quality and sophistication by at least another 10x. They are far more sophisticated than they were and that means lots more code. The obvious example being resizable GUIs that weren't required in them olden days.
The problem is devs - Arturia, in this case - went lazy with all the assets.
Would you prefer they spent less time making their instruments sound good and more time making them take up less space? Because their resources are limited and those are choices that need to be made. I assume they've probably made the right ones for their business, having a much better idea than you or I as to what improves their sales. After all, how long have you been using their products without having the slightest clue how much space they were taking up?
It's not normal for a musical instrument or audio FX when 90%+ of its install are graphical assets.
So what? Maybe Arturia are ahead of the curve? And what difference does it make to you or anyone else? You're tilting at windmills.
The problem is it doesn't. They install long, they load up in the DAW long, they get sluggish easily. Compare them to e.g. U-He plugins or most plugins really. It's a shit show.
Says you. It's not something I've noticed and in the context of even a modest Kontakt instrument, it hardly matters at all, does it? It's not like you need to load the instrument up after every note you play. It's largely irrelevant. Anyway, I just loaded Analog Lab and a few other VSTi and AL wasn't noticeably slower than most of the others. Yes, RePro 5 and The Legend were pretty much instantaneous but they were very much the exceptions and that fact doesn't make me any more likely to choose to use them over AL or any of the other laggards.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

antic604 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:40 am The problem is it doesn't. They install long, they load up in the DAW long, they get sluggish easily. Compare them to e.g. U-He plugins or most plugins really. It's a shit show.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Bloated GUI's, insanely long automation parameter lists (literally over 1,000 parameters), f*cking 50 desktop icons that reappear after every major update, and long ass load times. It's just sloppy craftmanship that leads to a poorer customer experience with what benefit? So they can put their virtual commodore 64 in a virtual room, requiring an edit view just to get anything done, then do all that using 5 different bitmap sizes combined with a poor MPE implementation?

Like, the plugins are ok, some are even good, but for such a large company it's such shoddy work IMO. If they want people to pony up $200 bucks every year for updates or $300 if you skip one, then they should tighten this stuff up.

Y'all want your faux wood and shiny fake knobs for your cinematic displays , arturia got you covered :hihi:
Hail Talmod and co for embedded vector graphics :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

BONES wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:17 am Says you.
Says you too.

He's got an opinion (he doesn't like it). You've got one (you can tolerate it). We're here to talk about things. That's what we're doing. So don't throw "says you" out there like a differing opinion is any more valid than yours.

Nothing ever improves by accepting the current-state as ideal. I'd like to see Arturia address some of these [IMO very valid] complaints and get all of us a better product in the end. Using more disk space, slowing down load times, not having an option in ASC to not create desktop icons...none of that benefits anybody. So if tomorrow Arturia said, "hey, we fixed all that stuff" the same people saying "it doesn't bother me" today would still benefit. You'd have every right to say, "No! I love the version that uses more disk space and loads slower and clutters my desktop with shortcuts." But I think you'd actually say, "oh, this is better, it's snappier now."

A long time ago I worked out that most of the bulk in Arturia installers is the GUI component...

Photo realistic BS...

That's not my focus in putting the music together,so I made a decision and walked away...

Arturia have never been on my radar ever again....

There are plenty of great alternatives available that don't clog up my hard drives with garbage :wink:
No auto tune...

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:19 amHe's got an opinion (he doesn't like it). You've got one (you can tolerate it). We're here to talk about things. That's what we're doing. So don't throw "says you" out there like a differing opinion is any more valid than yours.
My point is everyone has to pick their battles and Arturia clearly put their effort into other areas, which should be fine with everyone because it has little or no impact on them. Seriously, what does it hurt if a plugin takes 7 seconds to load instead of 2 seconds? It's irrelevant and Arturia have probably determined that it's not worth the time or effort to address. Ditto for how much drive space their stuff takes up when you can buy an 8TB HDD for $250.
Using more disk space, slowing down load times, not having an option in ASC to not create desktop icons...none of that benefits anybody.
Neither does it hurt anybody or affect anything. Compare the number of complaints about this sort of stuff to the number of complaints about blurry GUI graphics or GUIs that are too small or hard to read and it's obvious where a dev should be focusing their efforts.
So if tomorrow Arturia said, "hey, we fixed all that stuff" the same people saying "it doesn't bother me" today would still benefit. You'd have every right to say, "No! I love the version that uses more disk space and loads slower and clutters my desktop with shortcuts." But I think you'd actually say, "oh, this is better, it's snappier now."
But what if they said "we fixed all that stuff and, as a result, we have nothing new to offer you this year and all the improvements in sound quality of our existing products we had planned have been pushed back 12 months." Would that be OK? I think Arturia would see it as a disaster for their revenue. After all, as I pointed out, how long has this been going on without anyone so much as noticing? It's all about priorities and things nobody notices is never going to be one. If you don't like it, vote with your feet/wallet. Simple, really.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Just to say I agree with the OP. It may be a personnal thing, but the way they handle this subject feels really lazy, outdated and amateurish. I don't own any Arturia synth, and this is one of the reasons for me as well.

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:14 pm We learned to use every part of the buffalo. It’s still a good way to live.
:clap: :tu:
T-CM11 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:37 pm I was just watching some Oberheim Xpander videos... that thing is huge! The (cost of the) physical space that synths took up in the 70s/80s/90s vs. a few gigabytes of SSD... well: perspective / first world problems /etc. ;-)
When I think about "the good old days", the word "unobtainium" comes to mind. :(
The Xpander was quite small compared to an OB8...

You should check out the size of a Linn 9000...

And if you wanted to move that gear around safely,you needed a few Anvil cases...

Thank God for software :wink:
No auto tune...

Return to “Instruments”