WTF Arturia?! 13.9GB and 670k files!!!?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm one of those people who complains every time that I see a new plugin that I want and it turns out that the GUI is too tiny or not re-sizable released by various companies that are still stuck in the past, so I guess I don't have any right to complain about large file sizes if they're used for graphics assets, because those companies are merely doing what I wish.

I want my GUIs to be super large, super sharp and crystal clear at all sizes and if that means slightly larger file sizes, then I can live with that. If the entire Arturia collection takes 13.9 GB, I don't find that to be a whole lot.

There are probably sample libraries of farts for Kontakt that are larger than that.

It's not like SSDs are that expensive. I can only speak for myself, but I have terrabytes worth of free harddrive and SSD space. I aint got no time to worry about a measly 13.9 GB.

If Arturia can optimize their code and make the files a little smaller, then great. And if they can't or won't, then that's fine with me too.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:04 am I'm one of those people who complains every time that I see a new plugin that I want and it turns out that the GUI is too tiny or not re-sizable released by various companies that are still stuck in the past, so I guess I don't have any right to complain about large file sizes if they're used for graphics assets, because those companies are merely doing what I wish.

I want my GUIs to be super large, super sharp and crystal clear at all sizes and if that means slightly larger file sizes, then I can live with that. If the entire Arturia collection takes 13.9 GB, I don't find that to be a whole lot.

There are probably sample libraries of farts for Kontakt that are larger than that.

It's not like SSDs are that expensive. I can only speak for myself, but I have terrabytes worth of free harddrive and SSD space. I aint got no time to worry about a measly 13.9 GB.

If Arturia can optimize their code and make the files a little smaller, then great. And if they can't or won't, then that's fine with me too.
I think you have a fair point but it's just a personnal thing, really. Maybe I shouldn't, but it annoys me enough for me to not want to play it. And I don't like Arturia's sound, so, there's that as well.

I've noticed lately in my downloads folder Arturia will just pop up randomly. I wonder if it's auto-updating and dumping something in downloads and then moving it to another part of my system? It's weird...

Sinisterbr wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:31 am
I think you have a fair point but it's just a personnal thing, really. Maybe I shouldn't, but it annoys me enough for me to not want to play it. And I don't like Arturia's sound, so, there's that as well.
I agree that it's totally a personal thing, and musicians can be strange, and we all have our own preferences, needs and likes/dislikes. I definitely have my own personal ideas of what I like and don't like.

Luckily, we have so many choices these days, so if somebody really doesn't like the way a certain company does things, then I guess that there are other choices available.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:39 am
Sinisterbr wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:31 am
I agree that it's totally a personal thing, and musicians can be strange, and we all have our own preferences, needs and likes/dislikes. I definitely have my own personal ideas of what I like and don't like.

Luckily, we have so many choices these days, so if somebody really doesn't like the way a certain company does things, then I guess that there are other choices available.
Yes, exactly that. We have too many choices now, it's very different from a few years ago. If there weren't that many (and better choices, IMO), I probably would considerate it.
And yes, one may call it an excentricity, I think it fits, eheh :D

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:04 am I want my GUIs to be super large, super sharp and crystal clear at all sizes
Totally legit, and I completely support this. But they they can and definitely need to improve this. For starters, why not put all the GUI data in container files so that people don't have to deal with 670k files? They can also implement rescaling - store only the highest res data and then rescale to lower resolutions as needed, this is a very sensible solution that isn't complicated to implement.

It's just shoddy work, that's the problem, and it's incredibly weird. Their plugins are mostly great, but stuff like this is amateur hour. For example, Synthmaster does this as well, but Synthmaster is made by a very small company, it's in overall a bit janky, and it's priced accordingly, so not much to complain about I guess. But Arturia isn't exactly a tiny Turkish company, so they have no excuses for something as ridiculous as this :lol:

To all those confusing dev laziness (or maybe "carelesness" is a better word) with musical usefulness of their plugins - don't.

This thread is not to suggest that Arturia's instruments or FX are bad; they're far, FAR from it. And while I actually appreciate their GUIs and - to me - they constitute big part of their appeal; no one's gonna convince me that few synths & FX taking up 14GB in 700k files is normal, optimal and smart. Perhaps instead they should've kept only the high-res textures and 3D mesh and simply render them on the fly (or pre-render just that version that given user uses)? It should be a piece of cake even for embedded GPUs nowadays? Or like Reason 12 does, maintain the highest res version and downsample for lower zoom levels? I highly doubt they separately rended every zoom level anyway.

And it doesn't matter how big or cheap the SDDs are nowadays. What they do is wasteful & unnecessary. Regardless of how well they sound or how (un)talented I am to use them to their full potential.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

My concern is the sheer number of GBs I have to download on a regular basis. Sometimes, I have monthly data limits and one update of 20+GBs would more than break that limit, making it essentially impossible to update.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

antic604 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:17 amPerhaps instead they should've kept only the high-res textures and 3D mesh and simply render them on the fly (or pre-render just that version that given user uses)? It should be a piece of cake even for embedded GPUs nowadays?
Nope. Given the tools basically used to create a lot of those 3d meshes (ie Maya, 3dsMax, then render in Arnold or Vray or whatever) you're basically expecting a plugin to contain the equivalent of some very sophisticated and expensive render engines.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:27 am
antic604 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:17 amPerhaps instead they should've kept only the high-res textures and 3D mesh and simply render them on the fly (or pre-render just that version that given user uses)? It should be a piece of cake even for embedded GPUs nowadays?
Nope. Given the tools basically used to create a lot of those 3d meshes (ie Maya, 3dsMax, then render in Arnold or Vray or whatever) you're basically expecting a plugin to contain the equivalent of some very sophisticated and expensive render engines.
It doesn't have to be photorealistic or anything.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:05 pm It doesn't have to be photorealistic or anything.
No, not in the case of things where it was 3D but wasnt photorealistic. But then, those probably arent the ones taking up huge amounts of space for their images.

And it does tend to be the case that most 3D-style UIs are trying to be fairly photorealistic in the first place, hence the use of 3D.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

alberto_balsalm wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:29 am Arturia isn't exactly a tiny Turkish company, so they have no excuses for something as ridiculous as this :lol:
That "tiny Turkish company" has created an absolute killer synth with SynthMaster 2....

I was always a little critical of the GUI until v2.9.98,but the sound has always been top shelf since v2...

It doesn't matter where a company is located...

What matters is the intellectual capacity of the coders :tu:
No auto tune...

syntonica wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:05 am My concern is the sheer number of GBs I have to download on a regular basis. Sometimes, I have monthly data limits and one update of 20+GBs would more than break that limit, making it essentially impossible to update.
I would be concerned and upset too if I had a data limit on my home internet.

I can understand having data limits on a mobile line. I think that my phone has 4GB per month to use, I don't need or use anymore than that. A data limit on a home line is just unacceptable.

It sounds like a shitty situation to be in. Having a data limit doesn't just affect music software downloads, but it would affect your entire internet experience, browsing, streaming music, streaming 4k movies, playing games etc.

But I don't feel that a software company should take data caps under consideration when making software.

Your situation with a shitty internet provider and data caps is not the norm for most people I think.

When a new restaurant opens up, they don't take into consideration people starving in Africa. You are basically a starving person in Africa, as far as your internet situation is concerned.
Last edited by Synth Master Jedi on Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

digitalboytn wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:47 pm
It doesn't matter where a company is located...
I agree that it doesn't matter where a company is located for the most part.

I think the other poster was pointing out the difference in resources between the 2 companies. Arturia is a large company with many employees while the other company is a tiny operation with only a few people I think.

delete......

Return to “Instruments”