2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"I'm after an analog mono synth"

What about an x or a y or a z?

"No thanks, think I've found the perfect digital polysynth I wanted"

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Well now I own a new Hydrasynth (desktop version) and that more or less completes my core desktop setup (Novation Peak, Elektron Analog Four mkII, Korg Minilogue XD Desktop, Behringer DeepMind 12D). Everything else is basically fluff! Of course that will all change when my GAS triggers off again.
<List your stupid gear here>

With my Moog little phatty sold and a new Sequential Pro3 on the way my studio will be very different than it was a few years ago.

@Shabdahbriah, thanks for the push... Dynamix is a beast. I'm loving the little extra bit of saturation. This isn't on 0-Coast, so this is a nice pick-up!

I've decided to GTHO of Eurorack. I'm too crap at it for words so I've sold a bunch. Still a few high end oscillators and bits and pieces...
I found a brand new DSI Pro 2 about a thousand kilometres away...Unfortunately, it's right next to a Waldorf Iridium and I'm in that god awful spot where I have to make a choice...I need another Keyboard about as much as another Liver so the Iridium is pulling ahead slightly. The Pro 2 is Mad but so is the Iridium...Manual skimming night tonight...
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:29 am I've decided to GTHO of Eurorack.
Good name for a module...or a modular trading site.
I found a brand new DSI Pro 2 about a thousand kilometres away...Unfortunately, it's right next to a Waldorf Iridium and I'm in that god awful spot where I have to make a choice...I need another Keyboard about as much as another Liver so the Iridium is pulling ahead slightly. The Pro 2 is Mad but so is the Iridium...Manual skimming night tonight...
The Pro 2 is great but the Iridium/Quantum is one of the most amazing synths ever created. Oddly, the added FM functionality isn't that special but the rest of it was already fantastic. It goes way beyond features (which it has in abundance), the sound itself is really something special.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:00 am
The Pro 2 is great but the Iridium/Quantum is one of the most amazing synths ever created. Oddly, the added FM functionality isn't that special but the rest of it was already fantastic. It goes way beyond features (which it has in abundance), the sound itself is really something special.
Oh Wow! Thanks for that Eric!
The QC issues and the silly decision to have no velocity on the pads is what is holding me back...
I'm hoping that maybe velocity is there in a physical sense but it's lacking code...weirder things have been known to occur...

werp wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:15 am
The QC issues and the silly decision to have no velocity on the pads is what is holding me back...
I'm hoping that maybe velocity is there in a physical sense but it's lacking code...weirder things have been known to occur...
I was checking out the Quantum at my local used music store last week. I spent most of my time with the resonator synth engine and it blew my mind. The fact that it has 5 synth 'engines' is mind boggling, it becomes hard to know where to start. The VA is the weakest part, mono analog filter along with it, but the wavetable is awesome -probably the best there is and the resonator is unique enough it is probably worth the price by itself if you love sound design.

Constructed Identity wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:08 am
werp wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:15 am
I was checking out the Quantum at my local used music store last week. I spent most of my time with the resonator synth engine and it blew my mind. The fact that it has 5 synth 'engines' is mind boggling, it becomes hard to know where to start. The VA is the weakest part, mono analog filter along with it, but the wavetable is awesome -probably the best there is and the resonator is unique enough it is probably worth the price by itself if you love sound design.
I'm sorry I'm taking up so much room everyone, I'm not sure how to edit a post without completely destroying it!

Replying to Constructed Identity. Thanks for your input as well. I squeezed the trigger on the Iridium. Even my wife said "that one sounds amazing, buy that!"

Who am I to refuse my wifes wishes?
I continue to do so whenever she mentions gardening and my plans for the weekend though.

It's my personal opinion that ALL gardening should be done with a Skid steer loader.

The Quantum is definitely my favorite fixed architecture synth. I got mine when the firmware was still in beta and it's been amazing to watch it grow. It's so easy to get brain melting sounds out of it without even getting very deep into it's menus. Considering how much it can do, it's surprisingly immediate. The way modulation is handled is particularly nice.
I spend a lot of time with the Granular engine and the Kernel engine. While it take more time to setup those kinds of patches, it's really rewarding. Using FM with wavetables is something I do a lot in my modular so it's nice to be able to do that polyphonically.

werp wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:46 am Even my wife said "that one sounds amazing, buy that!"
She’s a keeper. KVR-approved.

I stupidly tried to order a jaspers keyboard stand from dv247. Two weeks after I paid for it and still nothing about a delivery date I get an email from MUSIC STORE with the subject line Received Return...
--------------------
Dear Customer,

Listed below are the items from RMAxxxxxx which we have received:

1x KEY0003509-000 4D-145B Keyboard Stand

A review will follow to examine completeness and function.
--------------------
ffs what a bunch of muppets

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Spent the last month or so totally rebuilding my studio, out with some old stuff, in with the following new stuff:
- UAD Apollo X4
- Genelec 8020d monitors
- Genelec 7040a sub
- DSI Prophet Rev2 (8 voice) desktop
- Moog Slim Phatty
- Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre
- Novation Remote SLmk2 (dedicated/customized templates for the Prophet and Slim Phatty)
- Custom-built GearHive cherry wood racks and matching desktop monitor stands
Last edited by cryophonik on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

cryophonik wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:49 pm Spent the last month or so totally rebuilding my studio, out with some old stuff, in with the following new stuff:
- UAD Apollo X4
- Genelec 8020d monitors
- Genelec 7040a sub
- DSI Prophet Rev2 (8 voice) desktop
- Moog Slim Phatty
- Novation Remote SLmk2 (dedicated/customized templates for the Prophet and Slim Phatty)
- Custom-built GearHive cherry wood racks and matching desktop monitor stands
Very nice, especially the Novation Remote control of the Slim Phatty. When I was using a friend's Moog One, it really made me appreciate the Phatty's because the sound is basically the same. The main improvement (which is easily fixed with a plugin or pedal) is the One's internal Eventide reverb.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:47 pm The main improvement (which is easily fixed with a plugin or pedal) is the One's internal Eventide reverb.
It's funny you mention that, because lately I've been craving Valhalla Shimmer for the LP. I already own most Valhalla reverbs and Delay, but Shimmer never really jumped out at me until a few days ago when I watched Sean's video overview where he's playing a Moog through it... got me kinda drooling TBH. :hyper: :lol:

I'd also use it for the Prophet Rev2. The onboard reverb is certainly the weakest part of that synth.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”