Airwindows TapeDelay2: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSdPab4Tyk0

TL;DW: TapeDelay2 is a new implementation of a flexible tape echo.

TapeDelay2.zip(618k)

Woot! This ought to come in handy.

TapeDelay2 gives you substantial changes over my original TapeDelay. It's no longer trying to do the 'Iron Oxide' style tone shaping the original one did. In fact, it's not even a delay in the same sense as its predecessor.

Instead, it's a brand new, undersampled, Airwindows-bandpassed monster ready to make a whole pile of very convincing sounds. As plugin delays go, this covers a big range of purposes.

You've got a nice long delay time that's still available at higher sample rates, thanks to the undersampling techniques. The delay line (and the regeneration) makes use of Airwindows bandpasses, but only on the undersampled content: meaning that if you've got it set to very nearly full range (resonance of zero) it'll give the same subtle highpassing and lowpassing no matter what sample rate you're at (a normal bandpass would have to roll off closer to the sample rate's Nyquist frequency, in other words it would let through too many highs to do a proper tape emulation). You can tighten the bandwidth by increasing resonance. You can adjust the region you're highlighting. And you can still adjust the frequency control even when set to full wide, which gives you more of a tilt EQ. It really turned out to have a lot of flexibility, and there's two separate bandpasses so that you can shape the overall tone and also focus in on the regenerations if you like. Vintage sounds in the classic Airwindows way, meaning 'no overprocessing, just high fidelity clean and simple processing'. Also, the dry/wet operates like my recent reverbs: 50% means full dry AND full wet, so you can bring in subtle echoes without altering the gain of your underlying track. Use it like a kind of reverb, with whatever tone and resonance works for you!

And lastly, just to top it off, Tape Flutter. This is a new implementation that I've never tried before. Instead of a simple vibrato, in TapeDelay2 the flutter keys off the amplitude of the underlying track, making it a lot more wavery and irregular. Subtle effects are easily achieved in most settings, and crank it up for more of a warbly dirty-tape quality. It should be irregular enough to sound like real tape wobble. It's done by modulating the tape speed… because unlike any previous Airwindows tape effect, TapeDelay2 works by taking a full-length tape loop and literally speeding it up, rather than trying to change the length of the delay in any way. So both the warble, and any manipulations you make to the delay time, act like messing with the pitch of a physical tape machine with a set record and playback head… which turns out to be the best way to do this :D

This is one of the good ones. Hope ya like it!

download 64 Bit Windows VSTs.zip
download Signed M1/Intel Mac AUs.dmg
download Signed M1/Intel Mac VSTs.dmg
download LinuxVSTs.zip
download Retro 32 Bit Windows VSTs.zip
download Retro PPC/32/64 Mac AUs.zip
download Retro PPC/32/64 Mac VSTs.zip
Mediafire Backup of all downloads
All this is free and open source under the MIT license, brought to you by my Patreon.

:love:
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Sooooo good :o

My goodness, I'm hooked! :love:

I downloaded the pack and there are so many to try out. I've only tried a few so far but there are some pretty extreme effects in there. I really like Galactic. :tu: :tu: :tu:

This dude is a DSP genius. I just struggle with the lack of GUI.

Can you hear a GUI ?
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

fantastic!
thank you Chris!!!!

Kazi7 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:01 am This dude is a DSP genius. I just struggle with the lack of GUI.
I can get by without a GUI but timings would be good, doesn't have to have tempo sync just an indication of the delay in ms would do.

Besides that, sounds really good.

Same, temp sync not needed but ms display would be very helpful.

Hi, it sounds wonderful. Good job on this one, sound wise a new fav.
I do miss being able to set delay in ms atleast. Sync is nice (including T and D option) to dial it in faster ofcourse but displaying/setting delay in milliseconds is almost a must for it to be fast to work with. So those are feature requests. :)

Would love builtin LFOs/modulators for delay and filter/reso/regen/pitch aswell.. would be a killer tapedelay. Cubase and other hosts lacks modulators..... No problem in Bitwig though.

amazing!

Chris's plugins are really cool, I think it's time for these plugins to add a GUI

gui's take up coding time, and I'm guessing that dsp coders might not consider such tasks as a :party:

But being open-source, if someone who thrives on gui coding (Lime-Flavor ? ) were interested, that would be

https://youtu.be/krD4hdGvGHM

I chose settings I like, and added Bluecat's free stereo chorus after it, and on a second track, added just BlueCat's default Free-Amp, and blended the track volumes. Very versatile and nuanced for clean guitar tones :hyper:

Return to “Effects”