Updates on Laras Composition

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Laras Composition

I'm glad that you find LARAS useful, Gary :)

larascomposition wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:10 am Hi All
Sorry for not replying earlier.
In the last three weeks, I was in deep grieved as several colleagues and close friends of mine passed away because of this pandemic. I just upload a video on Youtube, https://youtu.be/sNX9I6qWVQo
Sorry mate. My best wishes for you.

LARAS is great.

Thank you!

larascomposition wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:22 pm I'm glad that you find LARAS useful, Gary :)
Seems like a great tool. Currently trying it out.

May I suggest something:
Bitwig GUI runs with Java as well. But Bitwig comse with a suiteable JRE in the installer.
Laras in contrast does rely on users having installed a working/suiteable JRE on their own...
Would it be possible to add a JRE with Laras?

1.) I have copied the JRE from Bitwig 4.0.1 into the Laras dir under "jre"
2.) I have changed laras.bat too

Code: Select all

pushd "%~dp0"
start .\jre\bin\javaw -jar Laras.jar
popd

Hi Gary
Thanks for mentioning Bitwig and how it handles the runtime, I'll have a look, I believe they provide trial version so I can investigate. When I finished developing LARAS to be included in the challenge, I haven't decided what would be the final method of delivery to user. There are some scenarios and utilities I can use that I'm still investigating. Hope in the future user experience will be better. Thanks again.

Edit: I listened to songs in your soundcloud. Great tunes!!! :tu:

larascomposition wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:05 pm Hi Gary
Thanks for mentioning Bitwig and how it handles the runtime, I'll have a look, I believe they provide trial version so I can investigate. When I finished developing LARAS to be included in the challenge, I haven't decided what would be the final method of delivery to user. There are some scenarios and utilities I can use that I'm still investigating. Hope in the future user experience will be better. Thanks again.

Edit: I listened to songs in your soundcloud. Great tunes!!! :tu:
Hey it's Peter here ...not Gary ;-)

Bitwig was only meant as an example of an application that brings a JRE packaged with it.
I didn't want to say "please use exactly the JRE that comes with Bitwig". hope that was clear from my initial post.

Just use any OpenJDK JRE that is suitable for Laras and simply add it into the Release zip ... and ... adjust the .bat file as I have shown in my initial post. That's what I wanted to suggest.

I like your app. looking forward to playing with it a little more.

And many thanks for your nice feedback to my soundcloud!

Cheers
Peter.

Ooops, so sorry Peter ... :dog:

Yup, got it. Just curious about Bitwig's method.
Best regards

Heri

Hi All
The result of this year Challenge is announced. LARAS is at 5th place. Thank you very much for the support from all of you. I hope this little tool is useful.

Warmest regards,
Heri

Well deserved (I actually voted you higher :))

i voted it first place.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Hi Gary and Harry
Thanks for the vote, Glad that you find this little tool is worth to pick.

Hello,
I´m on Monterey but can´t get it run here. The terminal says this:
Warning: the font "Times" is not available, so "Lucida Bright" has been substituted, but may have unexpected appearance or behavor. Re-enable the "Times" font to remove this warning.
MIDI Directory is created!
Composition Directory is created!
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 2 >= 0
at java.util.Vector.elementAt(Vector.java:479)
at javax.swing.table.DefaultTableColumnModel.getColumn(DefaultTableColumnModel.java:294)
at laras.MainLaras.prepareSupportingFilesScales(MainLaras.java:952)
at laras.MainLaras.<init>(MainLaras.java:340)
at laras.MainLaras.lambda$main$0(MainLaras.java:12056)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

However I get 2 windows on start, saying File Patterns.dat and File Scales.dat are not available. In fact they are in the folder.... Don´t know what to do here.

Hi hallygally

I don't have access to Monterey so I can't recreate the problem, I tested it on Catalina.
I read the message from the terminal of yours saying "MIDI Directory is created!", meaning Laras had successfully run, but then it hit errors.

Tguyfr, a user, in his comment in the main page of Laras, saying that he successfully run Laras after placing it in the App folders of Big Sur. It has something to do with security/restriction of BigSur.

Many other music software/plugins has problems when user moved to Catalina/BigSur.

At this point this is what I can answer, as I don't have access to Monterey to investigate. Maybe you might want to investigate problems related to Java in Monterey, if we google "java problems in monterey", there are still a lot of problems.

Heri

Thank you @larascomposition for offering this superb tool to the world.
Happy to help if you want to discuss UI/UX topics at some point.
Take care, and keep up the great work on this !

This application seems to be truly awesome, but sadly it doesn't work for me. I am on Linux.

Code: Select all

$ java -jar Laras.jar
MIDI Directory is created!
Composition Directory is created!
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-1" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at laras.MIDICore.changeDev(MIDICore.java:91)
	at laras.MainLaras.setupMIDI(MainLaras.java:387)
	at laras.MainLaras.<init>(MainLaras.java:349)
	at laras.MainLaras.lambda$main$0(MainLaras.java:12056)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
	at org.GNOME.Accessibility.AtkWrapper$5.dispatchEvent(AtkWrapper.java:700)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)
Then it hangs, nothing happens. No screens, nothing.

Thank you for this program.

When I start new music I begin with melody. Then follows finding suitable chords and progressions. For this I use the minor and major progression schemes. To have them in LARAS is very handy, as is the virtual midi cable. I found that MuseScore and LARAS work together via the virtual midi.

I have one suggestion too if you are developing this program further. Imagine that the LARAS could show a horizontal melody staff line below the chords.It would scroll horizontally and in sync with the chords above. The idea is that LARAS reads the melody.mid from disk and writes a (melody + chords).mid to disk.

The attachment shows a rude sketch how it would look.

LARAS_UI.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”