Validating yourself as a musician in the land of likes and streams

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Paris Hilton gets over 724,000 Spotify streams per month. So I guess she is one of the most "validated" "musicians" in the world?

deltadio wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:24 pm
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:30 pm Been wrestling with this a bit lately. Fortunately I am at a place in my path that I don't require external validation.

I have begged folk to download free tracks. I have had the same tracks generate almost 2 million streams from god knows where. We are at a point in history where supply far out weighs demand. Alot of other distractions.

My latest take is this.....my own version of NFT if you will. I upload a track to gdrive......to hell with distribution. Put up a video of the track on youtube. Tell the few friends and family I have that the track is available to watch or download untill 10 people get it or see it. Then I remove the track. Put it in a folder. Encrypt it with a auto generated key that I don't save or look at. After a year I delete the folder. In the meantime I write, play, record and learn more music......rinse and repeat.
Intriguing answer! Could one argue there is some still a qualified need of validation/appreciation* but the threshold is the modest number of 10 after which the track essentially vaporizes making your fanbase one of the most exclusive clubs in this domain. I like the philosophical stance that this approach suggests, almost want it featured in a (mini) documentary (not joking!).
* or is it a case of beneficence, allowing mere mortals an experience of the sublime?

Ooooo I would agree there is need for external validation it seems.....and it seems it is 10 units of family and friends in this case. Oh my! What would happen if some random people showed up and stole the opportunity from my beloved friends and family.

I chose an arbitrary number for this example but I am at this moment trying to share a recent collaboration between an old band mate and myself with select group of past fans that really want to hear it......or so they say. Which presented me with the idea that formed the previous comment. I don't want to exclude anyone. And I do believe it has merrit.

I myself am burt out on "like me" "subscribe to me" no need to ask. I will subscribe if I want to see more....but I have vast interests and limited time so I might not make it back......sorry.

My band "x" is going to put up some music for a limited time ....then it disappears. Enjoy it while it is there......or not. No time to promote gotta make more music.

I also like the idea of live videos that get taken down following the presentation. Sign up....and you get to see it.....because it's good and you don't want to miss it. It might be worth your valuable time.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Patreon
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Frantz wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:02 am Paris Hilton gets over 724,000 Spotify streams per month. So I guess she is one of the most "validated" "musicians" in the world?

Paris is the single greatest example of being famous for being famous. Never knew she sang.....actually never knew she talked.

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:07 am
Frantz wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:02 am Paris Hilton gets over 724,000 Spotify streams per month. So I guess she is one of the most "validated" "musicians" in the world?

Paris is the single greatest example of being famous for being famous. Never knew she sang.....actually never knew she talked.
not when she's got a mouthful of 🐔!

Hey Vurt
...I actually had to Google her......she doesn't suck.....I was impressed.

Pretty sure she suck. :hihi:

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

deltadio wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:39 pm
Hink wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:10 pm I play music to soothe my heart and soul, I got my first guitar fifty years ago and music has been there through the ups and downs. The gift to me is what music has brought my life, that's the only validation I need...validation from strangers is indeed a foreign concept to me.

I surely understand those wishing to monetize their craft having a need for such validation...as a whole, money is a piss poor motivator for me, time is a great motivator...to those who know me, that really goes without saying so my validation is truly internal and always has. In the case of my music, it's about the moment, I really enjoy playing my guitar, and I really enjoy my peaceful time alone doing so. I consider it a gift, and you know my keeping it to myself? You might too :shrug:

ftr in the three years I have been with Holly, despite her asking...I have never played for her...not my style :shrug:
Powerful words. In this phase of life (or possibly a fair bit earlier than that) you are the musical equivalent of the lone wolf, the lone bard. If you are that autonomous and self-possessed you would think you could share your music (to some extent) without any ramification for your poise whether any feedback is absent, negative or positive. I hope Holly isn’t at times thinking “Oh, I bet you played for that nasty b*tch” referring to one of your more significant exes!
that's an odd assumption to make. My late wife passed away suddenly almost five years ago, Holly is a widow, we are both in our golden years and we are not competing with ghosts.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Chapelle wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:10 am Your music sucks if it has less views than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqZsoesa55w
Occam's Razor!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

melomood wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:34 pm Thank you
I will have the pastrami sandwich with spicy mustard
and a coke
Just blow your nose hard, it seems your brain matter has already turned to a greenish pastrami :party:

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:04 am
deltadio wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:24 pm
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:30 pm Been wrestling with this a bit lately. Fortunately I am at a place in my path that I don't require external validation.

I have begged folk to download free tracks. I have had the same tracks generate almost 2 million streams from god knows where. We are at a point in history where supply far out weighs demand. Alot of other distractions.

My latest take is this.....my own version of NFT if you will. I upload a track to gdrive......to hell with distribution. Put up a video of the track on youtube. Tell the few friends and family I have that the track is available to watch or download untill 10 people get it or see it. Then I remove the track. Put it in a folder. Encrypt it with a auto generated key that I don't save or look at. After a year I delete the folder. In the meantime I write, play, record and learn more music......rinse and repeat.
Intriguing answer! Could one argue there is some still a qualified need of validation/appreciation* but the threshold is the modest number of 10 after which the track essentially vaporizes making your fanbase one of the most exclusive clubs in this domain. I like the philosophical stance that this approach suggests, almost want it featured in a (mini) documentary (not joking!).
* or is it a case of beneficence, allowing mere mortals an experience of the sublime?

Ooooo I would agree there is need for external validation it seems.....and it seems it is 10 units of family and friends in this case. Oh my! What would happen if some random people showed up and stole the opportunity from my beloved friends and family.

I chose an arbitrary number for this example but I am at this moment trying to share a recent collaboration between an old band mate and myself with select group of past fans that really want to hear it......or so they say. Which presented me with the idea that formed the previous comment. I don't want to exclude anyone. And I do believe it has merrit.

I myself am burt out on "like me" "subscribe to me" no need to ask. I will subscribe if I want to see more....but I have vast interests and limited time so I might not make it back......sorry.

My band "x" is going to put up some music for a limited time ....then it disappears. Enjoy it while it is there......or not. No time to promote gotta make more music.

I also like the idea of live videos that get taken down following the presentation. Sign up....and you get to see it.....because it's good and you don't want to miss it. It might be worth your valuable time.
My original post was quickly hijacked by some very sour lowbrow keyboard warriors trolling the forum but I very much liked your contributions, they give me something to think about, maybe art should be ephemeral or at least not strive for permanence beyond the moment; such artistry requires courage and a complex ‘engaged detachedness’ (engaged in the bringing-forth, detached in the need for affirmation).

jancivil wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:23 pm "Only way to validate yourself as a musician is to feel you do not have to validate yourself to anyone as such."

Well, I think it can be enlightening to place oneself in a milieu where people are just not buying it.
my guitar coach ("professor") told me I wasn't cut out to be a classical soloist, I should become one of those studio cats like Lee Ritenour instead.
And by this point I thought, well that overrates me some, doesn't it.
It is more easy to follow my dictum if you are a hobbyist for sure. In any professional context, you may ignore other's validation or lack thereof, but it may have consequences as to making music a profession. However, in any pro context, the final validation seems to come with the money. Like in the 90s, Denmark made a lot of Eurodance crap (e.g. Aqua) that went straight to the charts. Everyone said; this is bubble gum pop, does not have anything to do with music. And they were like "yeah, but we are touring the world, having a lot of fun and make a lot of money", therefore "musicans". :lol:
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Hink wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:15 am
deltadio wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:39 pm
Hink wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:10 pm I play music to soothe my heart and soul, I got my first guitar fifty years ago and music has been there through the ups and downs. The gift to me is what music has brought my life, that's the only validation I need...validation from strangers is indeed a foreign concept to me.

I surely understand those wishing to monetize their craft having a need for such validation...as a whole, money is a piss poor motivator for me, time is a great motivator...to those who know me, that really goes without saying so my validation is truly internal and always has. In the case of my music, it's about the moment, I really enjoy playing my guitar, and I really enjoy my peaceful time alone doing so. I consider it a gift, and you know my keeping it to myself? You might too :shrug:

ftr in the three years I have been with Holly, despite her asking...I have never played for her...not my style :shrug:
Powerful words. In this phase of life (or possibly a fair bit earlier than that) you are the musical equivalent of the lone wolf, the lone bard. If you are that autonomous and self-possessed you would think you could share your music (to some extent) without any ramification for your poise whether any feedback is absent, negative or positive. I hope Holly isn’t at times thinking “Oh, I bet you played for that nasty b*tch” referring to one of your more significant exes!
that's an odd assumption to make. My late wife passed away suddenly almost five years ago, Holly is a widow, we are both in our golden years and we are not competing with ghosts.
Sorry to have upset you. It wasn’t an assumption hence the use of the verb ‘hope’ and the obvious backdrop of innocuous merriment. It is fantastic that you both reached a state of mind characterized by harmony, placidity and acceptance. In my experience maturity does not always preclude petty nastiness in matters of the heart but I am glad your life is free from that.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”