What do you guys think of Replika Shimmer compared to Valhalla Shimmer?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRian
759 posts since 29 Oct, 2015 from Jupiter 8

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:14 am

there's a demo i think.
It's always a personal thing and in the end, only you will know what you prefer.
It doesn't help if the majority says “thing a“ is the best sounding thing ever, while you actually prefer “thing b“.
You also might end up the slutty spacey way and get both because they offer different enough flavors
There's no Logic to Windows

User avatar
KVRian
1332 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:16 am

There is also another really good one called: Irid (Tritik)

User avatar
KVRAF
6586 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Darkest Kent, UK

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:23 am

I think tritiks irid is worth demoing, has a particularly rich shimmer, better than xenoverbs and Valhalla's in my opinion.

It's frequency shifter adds more possibilities than just straight, dare I say clichéd shimmer sounds, though you can do that with replica xt too.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

User avatar
KVRAF
32657 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:40 am

I like the Eventide one best but not compared it to Irid

KVRAF
1692 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:01 am

3ptguitarist wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:24 pm
Kinh wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:46 am
Did an AB comparison a few years ago. My findings were:
Replika had more resonant frequencies, slightly warmer tone, brighter in a mix. Shimmer was slightly smoother, less grain but a little dull, wasn't as sharp in a mix.
Because the differences were so subtle I didnt end up buying Shimmer. The tail is just as long. Replika to my ears seems more musical, especially with resonant ringing instruments like piano and guitar and its diffusion has more options
Which replika did you use? Replika XT or Replika Shimmer, because I think Shimmer just came out last year when Komplete 13 came out.

Anyways, I was thinking about buying Valhalla Shimmer, but after discovering Replika Shimmer in my Komplete 13 Ultimate package, I may just stick with Replika.
What is replika shimmer?

KVRAF
29235 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:08 am

Seems to be an algorithm ripped out of Replika XT, and put into Guitar Rig.

Never heard of it, but, I think Echoes in the Attic was right about it:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:58 am
Is this basically Replika XT in diffusion mode with the pitch shift modulation?
Just found this: viewtopic.php?p=7970618#p7970618
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF
32657 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:17 am

Kinh wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:01 am
3ptguitarist wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:24 pm
Kinh wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:46 am
Did an AB comparison a few years ago. My findings were:
Replika had more resonant frequencies, slightly warmer tone, brighter in a mix. Shimmer was slightly smoother, less grain but a little dull, wasn't as sharp in a mix.
Because the differences were so subtle I didnt end up buying Shimmer. The tail is just as long. Replika to my ears seems more musical, especially with resonant ringing instruments like piano and guitar and its diffusion has more options
Which replika did you use? Replika XT or Replika Shimmer, because I think Shimmer just came out last year when Komplete 13 came out.

Anyways, I was thinking about buying Valhalla Shimmer, but after discovering Replika Shimmer in my Komplete 13 Ultimate package, I may just stick with Replika.
What is replika shimmer?
I think what they have done with Guitar Rig is take much of the functionality that is in Replica XT but split it into 2 more focused modules, one of which is the new shimmer and the other a delay unit. So sonically your comparison is probably still valid.

KVRAF
1692 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:19 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:17 am
Kinh wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:01 am
3ptguitarist wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:24 pm
Kinh wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:46 am
Did an AB comparison a few years ago. My findings were:
Replika had more resonant frequencies, slightly warmer tone, brighter in a mix. Shimmer was slightly smoother, less grain but a little dull, wasn't as sharp in a mix.
Because the differences were so subtle I didnt end up buying Shimmer. The tail is just as long. Replika to my ears seems more musical, especially with resonant ringing instruments like piano and guitar and its diffusion has more options
Which replika did you use? Replika XT or Replika Shimmer, because I think Shimmer just came out last year when Komplete 13 came out.

Anyways, I was thinking about buying Valhalla Shimmer, but after discovering Replika Shimmer in my Komplete 13 Ultimate package, I may just stick with Replika.
What is replika shimmer?
I think what they have done with Guitar Rig is take much of the functionality that is in Replica XT but split it into 2 more focused modules, one of which is the new shimmer and the other a delay unit. So sonically your comparison is probably still valid.
so is the shimmer module just the diffusion of xt?

KVRist

Topic Starter

369 posts since 14 Oct, 2006

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:51 am

Kinh wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:01 am
3ptguitarist wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:24 pm
Kinh wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:46 am
Did an AB comparison a few years ago. My findings were:
Replika had more resonant frequencies, slightly warmer tone, brighter in a mix. Shimmer was slightly smoother, less grain but a little dull, wasn't as sharp in a mix.
Because the differences were so subtle I didnt end up buying Shimmer. The tail is just as long. Replika to my ears seems more musical, especially with resonant ringing instruments like piano and guitar and its diffusion has more options
Which replika did you use? Replika XT or Replika Shimmer, because I think Shimmer just came out last year when Komplete 13 came out.

Anyways, I was thinking about buying Valhalla Shimmer, but after discovering Replika Shimmer in my Komplete 13 Ultimate package, I may just stick with Replika.
What is replika shimmer?
It's a new effects module in guitar rig 6. They may have taken parts of replica xt and made a new module out of it. That's what I'm using in the video.

KVRAF
29235 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:54 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:40 am
I like the Eventide one best but not compared it to Irid
I love the other Eventide stuff, but, the Shimmer was a bit of a disappointment to me... I wished it sounded a bt more defined and clear, but, it's pretty mushy for me most of the time. Which is surprising for me, as I find their other stuff pretty pristine and brilliant sounding.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Return to “Effects”