Poll : Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Yes.
55%
No.
25%
I dont give a flying fish!
20%

Total votes: 116

RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:50 pm the main issue is mounting my "camera" as it's either my phone or the endoscope, but im sure i can knock something up...
Yeah, and there's tons of stands and clamps and crap for phones these days.

Though this one has an oddly dodgy brand name...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

:lol:

Imaginando VS was updated to v1.1.0 just a few days ago:
VS Updated with video export, Syphon and Spout support!
https://www.imaginando.pt/media/vs-upda ... ut-support

So if the Spout/Syphon support extends to the DAW plug-in version (and the announcement doesn’t say “standalone only” as it does for another recently added feature) that should nicely tie the DAW into the whole video making process, right? Maybe especially the DAW part of Davinci Resolve? Plus there’s the new video export option (I didn’t even know that was new when I mentioned it a couple days ago).

I guess what I’m wondering is if there’s a way to get all this video stuff into one place for combining into a cohesive project short of buying Resolume or the like?

If Davinci Resolve supported Spout directly then that would be it — done deal. Is there another audio/video DAW-like environment that supports Spout (or Syphon for the Mac crowd)?

I tried Resolve the other day, couldn't get it to play well with win 8. To me it was ridiculously bloated as well. Still amazing package for free. I prefer Vegas myself, much simpler. You can get that from the humble bundle occasionally for super cheap. Imaginando looks cool, personally I prefer Viz as it's programmable. Looks like a nice package for those who aren't interested in that definitely.

*Bloated in that it had a bunch of stuff in it that I don't particularly need. Mostly, I only want
the compositor. :shrug:

guitarzan wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:39 am Imaginando VS was updated to v1.1.0 just a few days ago:
FWIW, Ive just installed the new demo version, and the Spout plugin for OBS, and then tested the VST plugin version of I-VS from Bidule. Sends to the Spout2 Capture source in OBS perfectly.

So that's a start at least. I'd have to go through the Spout webpage to identify if anything free/easy can bring (multiple?) Spout feeds in and mix them, though.

pekbro wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:41 am I tried Resolve the other day, couldn't get it to play well with win 8. To me it was ridiculously bloated as well. Still amazing package for free…

*Bloated in that it had a bunch of stuff in it that I don't particularly need. Mostly, I only want
the compositor. :shrug:
I’ll be ultimately be working with raw video, so Davinci is kind of baked-in. The whole reason to go with raw video is to be able to push the colors in Davinci. Which kind of solves the problem I didn’t really even have to begin with…

I actually will need to either rear screen project or at least play back through a monitor good enough to serve as a budget video wall (mini). So I will need some kind of VJ-like mixing abilities.

Davinci will be for the final raw video processing of the projected performance captured by the “cinema camera” (plus whatever else is in front of the projector screen).

I’ll lose sharpness in projection, but that’s what I want, at least for the digital visualizer stuff, I’ll gain a more film-like look (according to the theory that exists only in my head). Especially if I mist the room. Projector mapping has a lot more possibilities than I thought at first too.

I want all my audio, no matter its source, to move through the air and be captured by good microphones. Likewise I want all of the visuals, no matter the source, to move through the air and be received by good optics. That’s analog enough for me.
Last edited by guitarzan on Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:26 am
guitarzan wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:39 am Imaginando VS was updated to v1.1.0 just a few days ago:
FWIW, Ive just installed the new demo version, and the Spout plugin for OBS, and then tested the VST plugin version of I-VS from Bidule. Sends to the Spout2 Capture source in OBS perfectly.

So that's a start at least. I'd have to go through the Spout webpage to identify if anything free/easy can bring (multiple?) Spout feeds in and mix them, though.
I was just going through the Spout webpage (I wish they had a printed list instead of all the cryptic logos) and Magic Performer seems like it might do the job for $79.95. Resolume would be total overkill for me.

https://magicmusicvisuals.com/features

Hmmm, useful; I can open two different instances of I-VS in Bidule, and they both generate independent Spout feeds.

Ive not done any video stuff in MAX/MSP before, but Ive been able to get it to take in two separate Spout feeds, mix them, and display in a new window.

Trying to work out how to send back out via Spout.

Hmm, while the Blackmagic stuff is certainly geared for pro level work, typically that also means pro level money. From what I've seen it's definitely designed to work in conjunction with the hardware, which is not all just fancy controllers and displays, e.g. hardware encoding, processing etc. in other words, a lot of cost. Of course you can use it minus that stuff, but a lot will be unavailable no doubt. I would think so anyway. :shrug:

*To me the biggest reason for us regular folks to use resolve over anything else, is that it's free.
Trying to use it for any projects of serious size, resolution and color depth, is going to suck without
the hardware I'd wager.

pekbro wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:13 pm Hmm, while the Blackmagic stuff is certainly geared for pro level work, typically that also means pro level money. From what I've seen it's definitely designed to work in conjunction with the hardware, which is not all just fancy controllers and displays, e.g. hardware encoding, processing etc. in other words, a lot of cost. Of course you can use it minus that stuff, but a lot will be unavailable no doubt. I would think so anyway. :shrug:

*To me the biggest reason for us regular folks to use resolve over anything else, is that it's free.
Trying to use it for any projects of serious size, resolution and color depth, is going to suck without
the hardware I'd wager.
Check out Zeek. on YouTube:
https://youtube.com/c/ZeekEOSZ

Here’s his latest video:

https://youtu.be/aJ4XL1k89OI

Continuous 2.5K+ raw video with a < $200 camera plus free Magic Lantern software. I got mine for $100.

guitarzan wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:01 pm
pekbro wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:13 pm Hmm, while the Blackmagic stuff is certainly geared for pro level work, typically that also means pro level money. From what I've seen it's definitely designed to work in conjunction with the hardware, which is not all just fancy controllers and displays, e.g. hardware encoding, processing etc. in other words, a lot of cost. Of course you can use it minus that stuff, but a lot will be unavailable no doubt. I would think so anyway. :shrug:

the hardware I'd wager.
Check out Zeek. on YouTube:
https://youtube.com/c/ZeekEOSZ

Here’s his latest video:

https://youtu.be/aJ4XL1k89OI

Continuous 2.5K+ raw video with a < $200 camera plus free Magic Lantern software. I got mine for $100.
That's cool, but I wasn't even thinking about the camera. Certainly my perspective is going to be
different than most having worked on some major productions, though no doubt things have
changed since then. In any event, I'll be interested to see what you come up with and how
it works out. :tu:

pekbro wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:13 pmFrom what I've seen it's definitely designed to work in conjunction with the hardware,
It kinda seems its also designed to not work with non-proprietary hardware, ie I couldnt see any way of capturing for a 'regular' windows video input as I can do easily in Vegas, just BMD cameras.

Davinci Resolve is best known for color grading raw video — it’s pretty much THE standard isn’t it?

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:49 pm
pekbro wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:13 pmFrom what I've seen it's definitely designed to work in conjunction with the hardware,
It kinda seems its also designed to not work with non-proprietary hardware, ie I couldnt see any way of capturing for a 'regular' windows video input as I can do easily in Vegas, just BMD cameras.
all i need is the timeline, mixer functions and colour masking.
so long as it can import from other sources?
otherwise i guess ill be investing in vegas or something.
i should get more organised and try some things, at least try and throw together an ident/intro :hihi:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”