DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

lucienz wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:41 am I had a challenge:
A B3 and its 9 sliders + separate bass on part of the keyboard + Percussion.
Only Dune allowed it to me.
Improvements that seem necessary to me:
1) You make a whole bunch of mods on a patch,
Then on the main window you switch to main,
you touch the mouse wheel.
All your mods are lost! you have changed the patch without any message to offer to save.
Ditto if you change the sound on your midi keyboard
There is undo feature in the menu for that.
Last edited by zyguli on Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

digitalboytn wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:54 am Thanks for the heads up Richard...

While you are digging around inside the guts of DUNE 3, do you think that you could tweak the polyphony and give us a minimum of 24 voices per layer ?
I'm looking into this- it is not as easy as it seems. The implementation as such is trivial, but making sure it does not increase resource usage too much in general is somewhat more tricky.
digitalboytn wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:54 am NKS...That's an NI product tied to the "Future of Sound" isn't it ?

An attempt by NI to have Kontrol over many elements of the music making process so that they can sell more proprietary products ?
Yeah I understand not everybody wants to move in this direction. I just think that a global browser for all presets from all installed plugins is a great feature of NKS. To me that is superior to having a preset browser just inside a single plugin. If you are looking for a specific sound for your musical project, then I cannot think of a better/faster way to find the desired sound :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard...while you are on the channel,how about entertaining the idea of a Special Edition of DUNE 1 with a few updates including resizable GUI,updated filters and WT import etc?

The workflow of the original DUNE is something special and it has a sound all of it's own...

It is still one of my favourite soft synths...

Thanks for that one...it is really appreciated...
No auto tune...

TBH, I'd rather see something like that for a completely new synth.

Richard_Synapse wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:38 am I'm looking into this- it is not as easy as it seems. The implementation as such is trivial, but making sure it does not increase resource usage too much in general is somewhat more tricky.
Richard
Increased Polyphony is something that can add to the sound of DUNE 3 by allowing large pads played with full fisted chords with long releases to "breathe" better. The note stealing in DUNE 3 is brilliant but having a bit of extra "headroom" would be very welcome.

I wouldn't worry too much about CPU demand. Recent releases like Pigments 3 and Vital are far more CPU intensive even with much simpler patches. Both offer 32 note poly but even when just using 16 note poly they can be far more demanding than D3 at 16.

DUNE 3 has always been one of lightest on CPU in my arsenal and I don't think that reputation would be hurt by adding optional increased Polyphony. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

To be honest... the only thing I find quite annoying is the wavetable "browser" and the preset browser. Drag & drop modulation would be nice but I don't think it's that important.

Well, as I see it it doesn't annoy me that people is asking for drag and drop and I consider the current modulation enough for me. I own the thing.

Considering dev time as precious might be a bad strategy. If D&D modulation and a better browser would really draw more people/revenue in and Dune became a big fat cash cow (if it isn't already), then a third dev could be added, then a fourth, etc. What remains to be seen is if adding these features would really draw more people in.

The sound is there, the CPU usage optimization is among the best.

On the other hand things like selecting audio files through native dialog click dances with no audio preview really annoys me. Ideally you'd have a patch/midi playing and just be able to navigate files (in this case wavetables) with the arrow keys while previewing the patch with the current sound.

I mean, for Dune is ok, it's not a sampler, but there is a lot of braindead sampler software out there not supporting a feature that even scream/fast/impulse tracker had.
Last edited by rafa1981 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

now I deleted some posts (again), you know whose posts were deleted...if I were you two I would stop now because here is a promise...the next one to continue it gets a 7 day suspension, if you both keep it up you both get suspended...no reason for adults to act like that and I am sick of temp locking because of this...I am not your babysitter...grow up.

My apologies Richard
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

digitalboytn wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:54 am.

While you are digging around inside the guts of DUNE 3, do you think that you could tweak the polyphony and give us a minimum of 24 voices per layer ?
Been asking for 32 note polyphony for years now, there really is no reason not to have it as an option

Teksonik wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:37 pm
Increased Polyphony is something that can add to the sound of DUNE 3 by allowing large pads played with full fisted chords with long releases to "breathe" better. The note stealing in DUNE 3 is brilliant but having a bit of extra "headroom" would be very welcome.

DUNE 3 has always been one of lightest on CPU in my arsenal and I don't think that reputation would be hurt by adding optional increased Polyphony. :tu:
This....
No auto tune...

Not my favorite color but what the heck Halloween is coming up. Only takes about ten minutes to do a new color now.

D3 Purple.png

Large Purple

-------
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

digitalboytn wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:54 am Richard...while you are on the channel,how about entertaining the idea of a Special Edition of DUNE 1 with a few updates including resizable GUI,updated filters and WT import etc?

The workflow of the original DUNE is something special and it has a sound all of it's own...

It is still one of my favourite soft synths...

Thanks for that one...it is really appreciated...
Since it's been brought up several times, I can elaborate on behalf of Richard (merely as a software developer in totally different area): it's a legacy product, and unlikely to be touched whatsoever.
Synapse are small, yet rolling out the amazing tools, so they must be quite busy.
They can't afford halting new stuff to do changes in the two-generations and 10+ years old software.
Changes you requested are quite considerable, the tools used for it's development might be pretty old, and it will be appreciated by few people without any ROI.

Just use Dune 3 (it's pretty much what you wanted), or use Dune 1 as is (I use it from time to time)
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Richard_Synapse wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:07 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:41 am Do you have an approximate release date for when these things will be available ?
Not yet. The drag+drop part is rather easy, so it largely depends on how long the patch browser takes, and that is difficult to forecast. Of course we can split this stuff into several updates if necessary, but generally it is more efficient for us to bundle new features into one larger update. Even more so with the raft of versions we need to maintain these days (VST2/VST3/AAX/AU, Win, Mac-Intel, Mac-M1, etc).

Richard
Thanks for the reply Richard, for me personally... Drag & Drop isn't something I've personally felt as being of a hindrance with there being a way to assign controls, but I see the benefits in making the GUI slicker in not having to bring up a long white menu if one doesn't want to.

I look forward to the browser update, I just hope patch name visibility at all times is one of the things included in some way, like I illustrated. I've used Hive for 6 years and Rapid for a few now too so for me and I imagine many others, this feature is above that of a big browser page of patches which does take a few more seconds to visually process and select things in any case.

In recent months I took some time to work on some skins for Dune 3, so if you're at all bored at looking at the existing ones you have, you can download a few here in this thread, which are partly modded versions of the existing skins. Currently working on a complete new reskinned design, I know how tedious it can be to do and particularly for different GUI sizes.

Look forward to the updates for when they arrive.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:05 am Currently working on a complete new reskinned design
You might want to hold off working with the current GUI as I'm sure there will be additions and probably changes due to the announced new preset browser and quite possibly with the drag and drop system as well.

I'd hate to see you put in a lot of work only to have to do it all over again when the new version drops.

That could be months at the very least, maybe over a year.....

Return to “Instruments”