The future of Geist 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vertibration wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:33 pm
Kinh wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:00 am
vertibration wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:51 pm
Kinh wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:16 pm i use uvi drum designer for sequencing beats. how is geist better besides more sounds?
Geist has a lot of crucial features packed into the plugin. Its really incomparable.
you dont put up a convincing argument "geist is better than ableton because....it is!"

Im yet to hear someone explain to me how geist is superior to drum rack, taking into account all the modular capabilities, m4l and effects + everything else ableton can do as a whole, including automation workflow, etc, etc.
Pretty obvious you havnt done your research on Geist, and come to an educated conclusion about pros and cons vs Ableton Drum racks.

To be fair, s/he's only been investigating it for at least 3 years...
Kinh wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:02 pm This interests me too and I'm-a-curious to know if it does anything ableton cant

It would seem there is an axe to grind. From the same thread...
Kinh wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:10 pmGeist who?

So yeah, let's rehash the whole thing again and compare Geist2 against Ableton + M4L which costs hundreds of dollars more. :roll:

telecharge wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:10 pm
Kinh wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:16 pm i use uvi drum designer for sequencing beats. how is geist better besides more sounds?
Geist has a lot of crucial features packed into the plugin. Its really incomparable.
you dont put up a convincing argument "geist is better than ableton because....it is!"

Im yet to hear someone explain to me how geist is superior to drum rack, taking into account all the modular capabilities, m4l and effects + everything else ableton can do as a whole, including automation workflow, etc, etc.
Pretty obvious you havnt done your research on Geist, and come to an educated conclusion about pros and cons vs Ableton Drum racks.

Kinh wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:02 pm This interests me too and I'm-a-curious to know if it does anything ableton cant

So yeah, let's rehash the whole thing again and compare Geist2 against Ableton + M4L which costs hundreds of dollars more. :roll:
I already have Ableton so it costs me 0. It's funny how whenever you genuinely try to get feedback on KVR forums you end up with a bunch of immature responses from people who presumably dont use the product enough or who naturally prefer hostility over discussion.

To ask a simple question like how an Ableton user could benefit from Geist seems way too much on KVR. It happens to be on sale atm, which is why I'm asking so I'm not knocking it, I'm just simply weighing up my options. If it's as great as people make it out to be, I'll invest my time in it. I dont buy things that are of no use to me.

No one here has convinced me of the benefits of Geist over drumrack, no video on youtube either and to simply say 'Geist is better because it is and if you dont like that then stuff you' is unhelpful and makes you out to be an idiot.

Geist who?
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Kinh wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:10 am
telecharge wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:10 pm

I already have Ableton so it costs me 0. It's funny how whenever you genuinely try to get feedback on KVR forums you end up with a bunch of immature responses from people who presumably dont use the product enough or who naturally prefer hostility over discussion.

To ask a simple question like how an Ableton user could benefit from Geist seems way too much on KVR. It happens to be on sale atm, which is why I'm asking so I'm not knocking it, I'm just simply weighing up my options. If it's as great as people make it out to be, I'll invest my time in it. I dont buy things that are of no use to me.

No one here has convinced me of the benefits of Geist over drumrack, no video on youtube either and to simply say 'Geist is better because it is and if you dont like that then stuff you' is unhelpful and makes you out to be an idiot.
Ok, so to be fair, I will answer your question. Ive been using Live since 8, Geist since V1. The reason I think Geist 2 benefits in Ableton is that you can set up polyrhythms in the Geist sequencer because each of the pads (not just 16, it can be way more), on the far right of the lane in the sequencer, you can drag the marker on each lane to any length you want, automatically creating polyrhythms. The swings in Geist are accurate to MPC (get them from goldbaby), the trans mod system lets you modulate effects and many parameters however you want. Each pad can be routed to Ableton, so in Live, you can set up bus tracks if you want to mix each pad separately. The sequencer has drag and drop midi, and will drag every single probability of you pattern if you do polyrhythms. If your polyrhythms are complicated, your midi clip will be really, really long, which is good, because you can cut it up and rearrange it any way you like. Geist 2 has an exceptional browser system to easily locate your samples, and saves favorites for you. It has an extremely comprehensive sample slicing mode, exceptional effects, exceptional pitch/stretch control, and lots more that I cant remember right now, whether you buy it or not is your choice.

Gribs wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:07 pm For $50 (US) it was a great deal.
Hmm I paid a bit more than that, perhaps I didn't do my research well enough. Nevertheless, I feel I am getting value for money as I'm really using it.

Gribs wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:07 pm
wintoid wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:15 pm I bought Geist2 in the black friday sales, and am really enjoying it. I'm using Bitwig, and I love how easy it is to sample hihats I make in the Grid and assign them to pads. Perhaps there's already a way I could be doing this in Bitwig, but I doubt it would be as seamless.

Also, I know this is just anecdotal, but everything seems to sound really good and really tight. Perhaps I'm just imagining it.
For $50 (US) it was a great deal.

AFAIK Cypher2 and Strobe2, two excellent plugins, were also on sale. I have licensed those since the first versions in DCAM Synth Squad.
I'm sure it was $99. $50 was the upgrade price from Geist 1.

I would get it at $50. But 100 bucks is too much for what is abandonware.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:16 am
Gribs wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:07 pm
wintoid wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:15 pm I bought Geist2 in the black friday sales, and am really enjoying it. I'm using Bitwig, and I love how easy it is to sample hihats I make in the Grid and assign them to pads. Perhaps there's already a way I could be doing this in Bitwig, but I doubt it would be as seamless.

Also, I know this is just anecdotal, but everything seems to sound really good and really tight. Perhaps I'm just imagining it.
For $50 (US) it was a great deal.

AFAIK Cypher2 and Strobe2, two excellent plugins, were also on sale. I have licensed those since the first versions in DCAM Synth Squad.
I'm sure it was $99. $50 was the upgrade price from Geist 1.

I would get it at $50. But 100 bucks is too much for what is abandonware.
Oh yes, you are right. My bad.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

$84.15 at JRRShop.com -- I thought I was done with Holiday sales, but wanted to give this a go. Just wanted to try something other than drum racks and my usual tools.

Not sure I'd classify something updated earlier this year as 'abandonware', but I get that people might not be happy with features that never made it or lingering bugs -- totally understandable. I've barely gotten into it, but no crashes so far in BitWig or Studio One for several hours. I really don't know the whole backstory or what not, but for that price, it is what it is and I won't be heartbroken if there's no updates or v3. Assuming it works for my needs it should be usable for some time to come (at least on Windows).

still on geist 1, using it sometimes. never found a clear reason to upgrade. any recommendations from you? is it worth it the upgrade to geist 2?

TrekStar wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:53 pm still on geist 1, using it sometimes. never found a clear reason to upgrade. any recommendations from you? is it worth it the upgrade to geist 2?
Yes, polyrhythms

That said, there are some other good plugins that do polyrhythms now like Sugar Bytes Drumcomputer and Wave Alchemy's Drumvolution. Drumvolution is a Kontakt Player instrument, but it is very complex and besides polyrhythms has a feature like Elektron's "parameter locks" which Wave Alchemy calls "step locks."
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Has anyone used Geist2 on an Apple M1 yet?

wintoid wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:54 pm Has anyone used Geist2 on an Apple M1 yet?
I'm sure at this point many people are using it on M1 computers (though of course, via Rosetta2, like most other things)

Does anyone have contact at FXpansion who will give them an honest answer about current status of Geist2 as opposed to some generic copy/paste of non-response that Roli support is likely to offer.

I'm gonna begin transitioning to a different drum programming software to lessen the inevitable blow if it gets left in the dust, ultimately making hundreds of old projects not playback on current systems in the not-too-distant future :/

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better drum machine. Geist is in a league of its own. Keep an eye on FORS if you use Ableton, he may consider doing a drum machine in the future. He helped develop Digitone for Elektron

Return to “Instruments”