Poll : Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Yes.
55%
No.
25%
I dont give a flying fish!
20%

Total votes: 116

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shabdahbriah wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:20 am iow: look what I managed to come up with spending every waking hour for several days (to a week or more), that someone who knows what they are doing could have done in 5-10 minutes average, with stuff they use everyday. :D
Yup, pretty much fits here.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:13 pm Aaaand now I have a cobbled-together wee standalone application made in MAX/MSP that will mix 3 Spout input streams and a video camera input stream, each with a 0-100% fader, into a new Spout output stream.
Anyone want a copy? Not sure if I'll do much more with it for a while; a proof of concept basically, so no support...
You know, your mixer is starting to seem like a very good solution to me. I was thinking more would be needed (ways to manipulate images, automated fade effects, etc) but this little standalone mixer idea could pull a lot of things together without involving a whole complex VJ mixer app. I don’t really need it yet, but I hope you keep it handy. Good thinking!

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:22 am
Shabdahbriah wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:20 am iow: look what I managed to come up with spending every waking hour for several days (to a week or more), that someone who knows what they are doing could have done in 5-10 minutes average, with stuff they use everyday. :D
Yup, pretty much fits here.
i doubt mine will be that good! :lol:
lots of overusing time stretching and crappy looking green screen :lol:

for those interested, when we used to put on the parties outdoors, projection and weather can make some nice fx.
particularly snow falling or mist/fog.

vurt wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:10 pm for those interested, when we used to put on the parties outdoors, projection and weather can make some nice fx.
particularly snow falling or mist/fog.
Yeah, I think I want to involve projection even though I hate the idea of all the extra cost and complexity. Small fog machines are cheap so I was already planning on getting one, and I’ve read that running the fog through fans can chop it up into a serviceable mist, but indoor snow is out of my league. I do have the two high speed cameras though, so maybe I could manage “rain” or something to look cool in slo-mo. The liquid light stuff should be great in slo-mo.

This Magic visualizer software seems like it ticks a lot of boxes:

https://magicmusicvisuals.com/features

The Performer package seems worth the extra $35 ($79.95) even though it is more of a VJ version… adds Spout in & out, midi control, multiple camera input, OSC input, no internet connection needed after initial authorization, etc.

Any opinions or observations?

guitarzan wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:44 pm This Magic visualizer software seems like it ticks a lot of boxes:

https://magicmusicvisuals.com/features

The Performer package seems worth the extra $35 ($79.95) even though it is more of a VJ version… adds Spout in & out, midi control, multiple camera input, OSC input, no internet connection needed after initial authorization, etc.

Any opinions or observations?
Looks good, node based and everything. It's hard to believe the Vj thing is a real thing. Dj's
have it rough these days I guess, having to keep up with all the tech. Good thing they don't
actually have to write any music. :o

Speaking of projectors… since what I want to do is all layered rather abstract imagery, can rear screen projection be combined with front screen projection? If multiple lower res projectors are used but each covering a smaller portion of the screen, that would be just like having higher res, right? Projector mapping: too cool or too much hassle? If I’m projecting in a small totally darkened room can I get good strong images out of lower powered projectors? To summarize; how do I do this cheap without looking cheap on camera? Remember, the captured projected stuff will all be raw video, so the color and exposure can all be pushed hard in post.

Like old school film or slide projectors? So long as you can aim the thing and control the zoom (I guess) and you can fit it on the screen somewhere, there shouldn't be any problems. Where ever the images overlap the colors will be multiplied pretty much. You wont have much control over that if youre just projecting light. It will come down to which ever unit is the brightest a bit more than the actual color I would think. In any event it's not going to work as well as it would in software as you cannot control the blending modes and opacity really.
Last edited by pekbro on Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Digital projectors — the reason I want to do this is that the light show is first and foremost for me, the “also makes videos” part was an add on because, why not? I have to buy the cameras anyway to capture the old school psychedelic light show stuff and that’s where I began — plus I want to add real mist, fog, and moving lumia to the show, and also set up shots to include stuff in front of the screen (like pan across the desk showing the dancing db meters or whatever, light show going full tilt in the background, real reflections off the surfaces, stuff like that.

Oh, almost forgot, I also want to figure out how to trigger controlled anamorphic flaring, the cool blue streaks, maybe have laxer pointers shine through the rear screen or something… must be a way?
Last edited by guitarzan on Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

sry: *It seems like youre asking for trouble honestly, how are you going to film that? If the room is dark
enough to see everything well, to film that you are going to need some decent exposure control,
which will increase the exposure times and lead to artefacts. Which could be cool I suppose, but
also problematic.

Raw video. Never mind.

Yeah I dunno, my experience is not with digital photography so I dunno what you can accomplish with CCDs these days. Anyway it sounds like quite a production. I would do it with software if it were me, but I'm lazy. :)

I think there's a place for it.

pekbro wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:29 am sry: *It seems like youre asking for trouble honestly, how are you going to film that? If the room is dark
enough to see everything well, to film that you are going to need some decent exposure control,
which will increase the exposure times and lead to artefacts. Which could be cool I suppose, but
also problematic.
I do video and photography. I do a lot of bands, so I'm getting pretty good at filming in pretty dark places. If you've got a good camera it's ok. A cheap camera will just be all noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-9xV6DGS-s

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”