Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

Fornicras wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:45 amSo, we still have a year and a half for 6? I couldn't find any info, how much does the upgrade cost from a major version to another major version?

Hope 5.5 comes before the end of the summer, though.
Yeah, I'd say 12-18 months to v6. The upgrade is usually between $100-150, you can probably find a better deal via JRR Shop or Audiodeluxe. I wouldn't expect 5.5 soon, as the current 5.3 was released just a bit over a month ago (end of June '21), so I'd expect a next version - maybe 5.5, maybe 5.4 - not earlier than by the end of the year.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Fornicras wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:34 am Yes, I noticed that too, but just trying to figure out what 50% on FL corresponds in S1, because I tried every dB level, it doesn't sound the same to my ears. It's either always too much or too little, can't find the sweet spot for the vocals....
But that´s quite easy to do...

In the newer 20.9 betas there is already a readout for the send volume... 50% equals to -12.7db

to test or if you don´t use the betas:

- Insert a sample (i.e. a kick) into the playlist and route it to a mixer channel
- open the audio generator and enable "Normalize" to get a 0db output
- make your send to another channel with this 50% like you would do for your vocals
- on the receiving channel insert a metering plugin (i.e. SPAN) and play the sample in the playlist...

The metering plugin shows you know how much of these original 0db entering the receiving channel where normally your reverb would live on...

Here on my side SPAN shows me the same -12.7db FLS already told me before in the hint bar so this is your value...

Setting the send in S1 to -12.7db should give you the same reverb portion like it did in FLS with your 50% setting...

Trancit wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:58 pm
Fornicras wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:34 am Yes, I noticed that too, but just trying to figure out what 50% on FL corresponds in S1, because I tried every dB level, it doesn't sound the same to my ears. It's either always too much or too little, can't find the sweet spot for the vocals....
But that´s quite easy to do...

In the newer 20.9 betas there is already a readout for the send volume... 50% equals to -12.7db

to test or if you don´t use the betas:

- Insert a sample (i.e. a kick) into the playlist and route it to a mixer channel
- open the audio generator and enable "Normalize" to get a 0db output
- make your send to another channel with this 50% like you would do for your vocals
- on the receiving channel insert a metering plugin (i.e. SPAN) and play the sample in the playlist...

The metering plugin shows you know how much of these original 0db entering the receiving channel where normally your reverb would live on...

Here on my side SPAN shows me the same -12.7db FLS already told me before in the hint bar so this is your value...

Setting the send in S1 to -12.7db should give you the same reverb portion like it did in FLS with your 50% setting...
I completely forgot about hint bar... I will check and compare to see if there's really a difference.

Thanks a lot.

jancivil wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:56 pm well, in that free version there's no changing it fr. 44.1, period.
it's free, it is what it is
Out of curiosity i downloaded free version and i see what you mean. And i feel the urge to correct someone on the internet :D. That's the wrong place, where you look at. In Studio One sample rate sets per song: Menu -> Song -> Song Setup

"Audio Setup" only shows readouts what are current settings. Confusing, right...

Experts of Studio 1 can anyone tell me why when I choose bounce selection of this small section on the left

Does it result in this

With the empty space either side to fill a whole bar ? It makes it very frustrating to have to delete that extra space in order to tidy things up and splice bits of loops together, how do I make a bounce equal to the length of the selection ?

Digivolt wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:32 pm Experts of Studio 1 can anyone tell me why when I choose bounce selection of this small section on the left

Does it result in this

With the empty space either side to fill a whole bar ? It makes it very frustrating to have to delete that extra space in order to tidy things up and splice bits of loops together, how do I make a bounce equal to the length of the selection ?
What are your quantize settings set to?
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I don't like the way it handles virtual instruments. Everything on tiny tabs in one window, and no Synth Rack. Things like Kontakt and SampleTank I like to put in Synth Rack and then create my own MIDI and Audio Tracks, Busses, etc. Studio One forces you to use an Instrument Track for every virtual instrument.

Also, you can't set up an external audio editor.

Pet Peeve, but I hate how it doesn't display plug-in thumbnails with uniform width.

And that awful VST scan on every boot up.

Besides that, it's fine enough. The samplers can use an update, though, and I don't find the time stretching in Sample One to be that amazing; though I tend to use Battery for all of that stuff, anyways.

2021 and still no List View/Event Editor.

A bit too much mousing around for me.

I use it largely as a backup on my laptop, but it will be uninstalled the second the Cubase Dongle Divorce comes through and I can install that on two PCs (confirmed to be coming).

Takes forever to load and save.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:39 pm I don't like the way it handles virtual instruments. Everything on tiny tabs in one window, and no Synth Rack. Things like Kontakt and SampleTank I like to put in Synth Rack and then create my own MIDI and Audio Tracks, Busses, etc. Studio One forces you to use an Instrument Track for every virtual instrument.

Pet Peeve, but I hate how it doesn't display plug-in thumbnails with uniform width.

Besides that, it's fine enough. The samplers can use an update, though, and I don't find the time stretching in Sample One to be that amazing; though I tend to use Battery for all of that stuff, anyways.

2021 and still no List View/Event Editor.

I use it largely as a backup on my laptop, but it will be uninstalled the second the Cubase Dongle Divorce comes through and I can install that on two PCs (confirmed to be coming).

S1 has Multi-instruments which is close but not quite to synth racks.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Digivolt wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:32 pmExperts of Studio 1 can anyone tell me why when I choose bounce selection of this small section on the left
Hit 'N' to disable grid snapping. I know, it's weird they did it like that :dog:

BTW, you can create your custom macro that will disable snapping, perform the bounce and enable the snapping back.
Music tech enthusiast

Trensharo wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:39 pm...and no Synth Rack. Things like Kontakt and SampleTank I like to put in Synth Rack and then create my own MIDI and Audio Tracks, Busses, etc. Studio One forces you to use an Instrument Track for every virtual instrument.
That's inaccurate.

If you drag an instrument into Console then it will not create any sequencer track, only an audio channel (or multiple, if it's multitimbral and you want that). Then you can add one - or multiple - empty Instrument Tracks in the sequencer and have them send MIDI to specified MIDI channels of your instrument.

In this example I'm using single Falcon instance with 2 patches, taking MIDI from 2 sequencer tracks on different MIDI channels and sending audio to 2 separate console channels - you can send them to FX tracks, busses, etc. like with any other channels:

Zrzut ekranu (204).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music tech enthusiast

Trensharo wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:39 pm I don't like the way it handles virtual instruments. Everything on tiny tabs in one window, and no Synth Rack. Things like Kontakt and SampleTank I like to put in Synth Rack and then create my own MIDI and Audio Tracks, Busses, etc. Studio One forces you to use an Instrument Track for every virtual instrument.

Like someone else already mentioned, this isn't really true. Studio One actually treats instruments like they are in a synth rack. You can enable multi outs in the mixer's instrument rack, you can route MIDI tracks to different channels of your multi instrument, you can create busses etc. You do not have to create one track per instrument only.

Also, you can actually disable the plug-in scan during boot up. Go to preferences and under locations/VST Plug-Ins disable scan at startup.

Studio One uses zplane's time stretch algorithms. Not sure there is anything better out there currently. Meaning, as far as I know Cubase, Ableton Live, use the same algorithms from zplane to time stretch.

Personally, I find Studio One is less mousing around than other DAW's I use or have used. Tons of key commands and the ability to create macros and then map them to key commands saves me tons of time and mousing around. Just my opinion of course.

Trensharo wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:39 pm

You can export selections as wav files.

You can change the plugins to gallery mode using the four square icon on the browser so all plugins appear the same width.

Use a faster drive.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Not sure what a "synth rack" is ? Is that something like Reason rack ? What DAWs have a "synth rack" ?

Although Studio One does not have a "synth rack", it does have a "multi-instrument" ability. Just drag more than one synth onto the same track and hit "combine". Nothing like Reason rack but its quite useful.

I have been trying to work out what "Everything on tiny tabs in one window," means ? I cant say I have ever noticed that ?

And just disable the VST scan at startup.

Cubase has Vst racks.

Personally, I don't use it because I only need multi audio to appear for a vst instrument like Addictive Drums or Groove Agent, so I mostly use VST Track.

Here is a video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Z9Zo-N9tI&t=5s

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”