E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Who figured out why when I run Protools or Akai mpc studio, the e-mu driver turns off multi-client, that is, WDM and the sound in Windows (browser, player, etc.) stops,
other programs such as Cubase, ableton, fl work and do not intercept the audio driver, is it possible to fix it somehow?

:help:
Specs:
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
American Megatrends Inc. 1.D0, 12/31/2020 SMBIOS Version 2.8
BIOS Mode UEFI
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B51)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 128 GB

I cannot get my beloved Emu 1820m to work. The breakout box won't light up and Patchmix DSP tells me I don't have the necessary hardware installed even though the device manager sees the card.

I tried installing the drivers according to but could not get safe-mode to work so I tried to work around it. I've since been enlightened as to why I could not 'see' safe-mode and attempted to remove the first install and try again doing it exactly according to form.

Device manager 'sees' the card (which is installed in a Sintech PCI-E Express X1 to Dual PCI Riser Extender Card with Low Profile Bracket according to an article I found https://musicphotolife.com/2016/04/old- ... n-desktop/ -- which is what lead me here). But the breakout box remains dark and inert.

I am not sure how to proceed but if I'm going to re-attempt an install, I need to know exactly which files I need to remove so to make sure there is nothing left over. Other than that, does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a EMU 1212 M if anyone is interested I would consider selling it for a good deal. Dunno if it's worth it to anyone. Just saying... Basically you would just have to be able to make it worth it for
me to actually mail it to you.

Fantastic solution thank you. Updated windows 10 to latest version today, followed the instructions and my EMU 1820 is working perfectly, didnt need the ASIO fix either. :)

gamblegold wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:25 pm :help:
Specs:
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
American Megatrends Inc. 1.D0, 12/31/2020 SMBIOS Version 2.8
BIOS Mode UEFI
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B51)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 128 GB

I cannot get my beloved Emu 1820m to work. The breakout box won't light up and Patchmix DSP tells me I don't have the necessary hardware installed even though the device manager sees the card.

I tried installing the drivers according to but could not get safe-mode to work so I tried to work around it. I've since been enlightened as to why I could not 'see' safe-mode and attempted to remove the first install and try again doing it exactly according to form.

Device manager 'sees' the card (which is installed in a Sintech PCI-E Express X1 to Dual PCI Riser Extender Card with Low Profile Bracket according to an article I found https://musicphotolife.com/2016/04/old- ... n-desktop/ -- which is what lead me here). But the breakout box remains dark and inert.

I am not sure how to proceed but if I'm going to re-attempt an install, I need to know exactly which files I need to remove so to make sure there is nothing left over. Other than that, does anyone have any suggestions?
I would try a different CAT 5 cable. If it doesn't light, then take the box apart and see if the caps are bulging. Easy to tell. If they are, change them. No hard if you can solder. If you can't, take to a computer repair shop (buy the caps first) and ask them to install them.

Just tried Windows 11 insiders preview build. Unfortunately, it completely borks my 1616M installation, that worked perfectly under Windows 10 after following the excellent instructions at the start of this topic.
I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will investigate this problem and hopefully find a way to keep using these excellent sound cards into the Windows 11 era.

Update - thanks to the suggestions from others, I've successfully updated to Windows 11 with my 1616m sound card fully functional, including the Patchmix DSP software. I did an in-place update of my existing Windows 10 installation, then rebooted into safe mode, opened the temp file, right clicked on the EMU_Patch_Fix.PS1 file and selected Power Shell. The fix ran without problems in a second.
I then restarted the computer, clicked the PatchMix icon, and everything started properly.
Last edited by greenalien on Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenalien wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:37 pm Just tried Windows 11 insiders preview build. Unfortunately, it completely borks my 1616M installation, that worked perfectly under Windows 10 after following the excellent instructions at the start of this topic.
I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will investigate this problem and hopefully find a way to keep using these excellent sound cards into the Windows 11 era.
Windows 11 is going to be even more focused on "security" (as Microsoft sees it, anyway) and require even more of the software installed on it to adhere to certain "standards". This will limit the work-arounds you were able to get away with in Win10.

Win10 will be supported until 2025, so unless you really want to keep fighting future Win11 updates, you might just want to stick with Win10.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Well. I'm going to take one more run a this but so far it's been a total bust. At one point, the device was no longer in Device Manager so I quickly went and did a restore point which completely hosed the system and forced new OS install. Now that I'm back to where I started, I tried the straight install and nothing lights up on the breakout box. Swapped cables and also checked for the blown caps but the inside of the breakout box is pristine. Still no lights. Going to de-install the driver and patchmix and follow the recipe but I didn't have any luck before so I don't see how it will be different this time around. If it fails to fire up again, I'm just going to trash it and find something else. I've spent too many months on this and gotten nothing but angry frustration to show for it.

How I hate M$ and Windows 10. Seven was s-o-o-o much better.

gamblegold wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:05 pm Well. I'm going to take one more run a this but so far it's been a total bust. At one point, the device was no longer in Device Manager so I quickly went and did a restore point which completely hosed the system and forced new OS install. Now that I'm back to where I started, I tried the straight install and nothing lights up on the breakout box. Swapped cables and also checked for the blown caps but the inside of the breakout box is pristine. Still no lights. Going to de-install the driver and patchmix and follow the recipe but I didn't have any luck before so I don't see how it will be different this time around. If it fails to fire up again, I'm just going to trash it and find something else. I've spent too many months on this and gotten nothing but angry frustration to show for it.

How I hate M$ and Windows 10. Seven was s-o-o-o much better.
The caps on mine were the reason I experienced the same issues you seem to be having. And they didn't really look bad. But $.88 (plus shipping and handling) later, everything was working fine.

All that said, it's still a dead-end with the E-MU gear, unfortunately. If parts of it don't fail from age, Windows 10 (and soon, Win11) kill off what's left. If you've already accepted it's time to move on -- and if you can afford to do so -- it's probably best just to stay on that road.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

@gamblegold: did you tried a registry clean up? i used a clean up tool to remove everything from the system that was related to emu drivers and installed the whole emu driver package again with that script and it was fine. i have the emu1820m as well but not in a riser card. Dont know what cleaner tool i used but i think someone mentioned it here. i am on windows 10. I believe that some files cannot be removed even if you are in safe mode. in this case maybe a clean up tool can help to remove that.

greenalien wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:37 pm Just tried Windows 11 insiders preview build. Unfortunately, it completely borks my 1616M installation, that worked perfectly under Windows 10 after following the excellent instructions at the start of this topic.
Have you tried to do the same as on Windows 10? And Windows 11 has a PowerShell.

Did not work for me trying powershell in Windows 11.

1212m PCI still working fine in Windows 10.

Windows 11 has a lot of security stuff in it,guards standing at the mix party and E-MU can't be let in.

A bit like us and covid.

I was thinking of replacing mine with an Audient ID 14 Mk 2 but pointless while my E-MU is sounding great,love my bird the EMU.(playing some Phaeleh on her now. :phones: )

I guess my card is going to the long lost bird cage in the sky with the dodo bird being a PCI vet.

Have had minor issues getting many of my older interfaces (Motu828MK2, Presonus Firestation and others) to work reliably in Windows 10, but never could "crack the code" for my large collection of EMU cards and docks. I reverted to a second PC with Win 7 to use these excellent audio interfaces. Thank YOU! Well written fix!

This a little bit off topic. But maybe useful for the ones who use a external dock. Recently my dock had trouble connecting. I knew it was not the caps, those where replaced. I used a sftp cat6 cable for a long time, and replaced with a cat 5 cable. And the problem was solved. My old cable was not 100%. But I found out the sound quality was not the same anymore. The punch in the bass was a bit lacking, and also the dynamics when transferring a vinyl record to digital. Comparing the wave forms in iZotope confirmed it. So i bought a new CAT6A S/FTP cable with 4x2xAWG26 full copper strands. And voila the dynamics and bass where how they suppose to be. With other words, if one wants the best audio quality from the dock use a good cat6a sftp cable!

I have two emu1820m that were kept for a few years, I tried to install them but they are not even recognized in the device manager.
I've already cleaned the contacts, tested it on another computer but nothing resolved.
I ask:
Is it necessary to have the audio dock connected for windows to recognize the 1010 card?

I can't believe that the two interfaces gave the same defect. :(

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”