Is it safe to buy Logic Pro X today?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jules99 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:50 pm My bet would be Logic Pro 11, not just a point update along with the release of Monterey. Look at the version numbers of the competition. Cubase 11, Logic 11, Reason 12. Marketing departments do pay close attention to this.
Logic were at X last 8 years, if they were competing in release numbers, you can bet they would be now againts FL20, not Cubase 11. Logic Pro X doesn’t exist anymore, it’s just Logic Pro, their flagship pro DAW.

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:48 pm
jules99 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:50 pm My bet would be Logic Pro 11, not just a point update along with the release of Monterey. Look at the version numbers of the competition. Cubase 11, Logic 11, Reason 12. Marketing departments do pay close attention to this.
Logic were at X last 8 years, if they were competing in release numbers, you can bet they would be now againts FL20, not Cubase 11. Logic Pro X doesn’t exist anymore, it’s just Logic Pro, their flagship pro DAW.
yeah. this seems to be the case. i admit it's hard for my brain to get w/the program after so many years of $200 upgrades for new version number.

as for logic pro on an ipad.. who knows. ii tend to doubt it'll be a direct port. perhaps they'll make Logic for iPad or something.. or just add more features to garage band. i don't think there'e enough storage space for all the libraries etc on the typical ipad. sure, someone out there splashed out for the 1tb or 2tb models but a lot of people didn't and someone serious enough about logic pro is probably going to buy a laptop to run it if not a desktop.

but that's just my thinking and wtf do i know? apple has plans and we'll know those plans when they let us know.

Think Apple would like if one could have one of everything they offer, tablet, laptop, watch, phone, desktop computer and etc. iPhone is neat controller for Logic too, iPad even neater, they could sell this stuff without Logic and to Logic users.

dayjob wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:11 pmas for logic pro on an ipad.. who knows. ii tend to doubt it'll be a direct port. perhaps they'll make Logic for iPad or something.. or just add more features to garage band.
Adding more features to Garageband would be fine with me. Garageband is easily my favorite iOS DAW in terms of the touchscreen workflow. But it needs a lot of stuff added. There is not currently a single iOS DAW that I am happy with and I tried them all.

Logic on iOS would immediately be the best DAW on iOS. On Mac, there is Bitwig, Logic, Live, Studio One. I could be satisfied using any of them.

And today, with the iPad Pro having the M1 chip, 16gb RAM and the Thunderbolt Port, it is a serious machine. Why bother making such a tablet if you are not going to release software to make use of it? My guess is that Garageband will stay Garageband and Apple will release some version of Logic that runs on iOS.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:27 pm And today, with the iPad Pro having the M1 chip, 16gb RAM and the Thunderbolt Port, it is a serious machine. Why bother making such a tablet if you are not going to release software to make use of it?
It's their whole pro lineup philosophy, overkill for many pro's, but on other hand have what was missing over their consumer one.

Ha. I was thinking of getting Final Cut Pro for the new M1, but then I thought: how many movies have I cobbled together on iMovie in the last 10 years? Exactly one, my wife and I singing and playing 'My Lovely Horse' in front of Fr. Ted's place. Then I found DaVinci Resolve! I can go waaayyy outa my depth for freeeeeee! :hyper:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:27 pm And today, with the iPad Pro having the M1 chip, 16gb RAM and the Thunderbolt Port, it is a serious machine. Why bother making such a tablet if you are not going to release software to make use of it? My guess is that Garageband will stay Garageband and Apple will release some version of Logic that runs on iOS.
I think we'll start seeing versions of Logic and FCP for iPad very soon. The new iPad Pros are overkill for running Procreate.

Swift/Metal/UIkit have already started to push out ObjC/OpenGL/Cocoa as macOS and iOS continue their convergence.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Widerstand ist zwecklos! :borg:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Dustin Hoffman will tell you if it's safe...

(This version is safe to watch, trust me.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqrpPaNm8yw
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

syntonica wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:26 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:27 pm And today, with the iPad Pro having the M1 chip, 16gb RAM and the Thunderbolt Port, it is a serious machine. Why bother making such a tablet if you are not going to release software to make use of it? My guess is that Garageband will stay Garageband and Apple will release some version of Logic that runs on iOS.
I think we'll start seeing versions of Logic and FCP for iPad very soon. The new iPad Pros are overkill for running Procreate.

Swift/Metal/UIkit have already started to push out ObjC/OpenGL/Cocoa as macOS and iOS continue their convergence.
Yeah, I am confident saying that the only question is when. Well, another question is will they be feature equal or cut down in some way.

The Affinity Apps (Publisher is on the way for iOS) are feature equal.

It's funny seeing hesitation over whether Logic Pro and its endless series of major free updates is worth it for a one-off $200. I remember paying $1200 for Logic Audio Platinum back in the day. Going subscription for a desktop application would be unusual for Apple though. Have they ever done one before that wasn't some kind of cloud service? It seems unlikely to me on the Mac as the only way to purchase, but I could envision it on iPad since subs have been somewhat normalized on mobile and those users are conditioned to expect apps to be installable with near-zero barrier to entry. I hope they instead treat the iPad as just another device current LP users can install onto and maybe offer a Pro Apps subscription as an option to those averse to spending a "large" lump sum on software.

I have no interest in it moving top iPad - what I can tell you is just get it - it is absolutely superb and is now my single go to DAW. I have used Live since v1.5 and sold up, tried Bitwig (case of the grass is greener) and used reason on and off for the past 20 years but every single one has me going logic does this better for most things. It isn't perfect but the content and plugins and updates are worth its price of entry 10 times over. Just get it!
- Logic Pro -

bangaio wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:28 pm I have no interest in it moving top iPad - what I can tell you is just get it - it is absolutely superb and is now my single go to DAW. I have used Live since v1.5 and sold up, tried Bitwig (case of the grass is greener) and used reason on and off for the past 20 years but every single one has me going logic does this better for most things. It isn't perfect but the content and plugins and updates are worth its price of entry 10 times over. Just get it!
The updates have been getting better and better too! The Logic Development team has been impressive the past few years.

Tronam wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:10 pm It's funny seeing hesitation over whether Logic Pro and its endless series of major free updates is worth it for a one-off $200. I remember paying $1200 for Logic Audio Platinum back in the day. Going subscription for a desktop application would be unusual for Apple though. Have they ever done one before that wasn't some kind of cloud service? It seems unlikely to me on the Mac as the only way to purchase, but I could envision it on iPad since subs have been somewhat normalized on mobile and those users are conditioned to expect apps to be installable with near-zero barrier to entry. I hope they instead treat the iPad as just another device current LP users can install onto and maybe offer a Pro Apps subscription as an option to those averse to spending a "large" lump sum on software.
It would be extremely stupid of them. Logic works great at selling hardware. Again, it’s the entire reason why I’m using Mac. If Logic had become Linux-only, I’d be using Linux. Logic really is that awesome. However, I hate subscriptions so much I’d drop it out of pure subscription spite.

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:38 am
Tronam wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:10 pm It's funny seeing hesitation over whether Logic Pro and its endless series of major free updates is worth it for a one-off $200. I remember paying $1200 for Logic Audio Platinum back in the day. Going subscription for a desktop application would be unusual for Apple though. Have they ever done one before that wasn't some kind of cloud service? It seems unlikely to me on the Mac as the only way to purchase, but I could envision it on iPad since subs have been somewhat normalized on mobile and those users are conditioned to expect apps to be installable with near-zero barrier to entry. I hope they instead treat the iPad as just another device current LP users can install onto and maybe offer a Pro Apps subscription as an option to those averse to spending a "large" lump sum on software.
It would be extremely stupid of them. Logic works great at selling hardware. Again, it’s the entire reason why I’m using Mac. If Logic had become Linux-only, I’d be using Linux. Logic really is that awesome. However, I hate subscriptions so much I’d drop it out of pure subscription spite.
I don't get it. I know Logic quite well, for many years it was my main daw. I don't understand statements like this, logic is a good DAW until you try Studio One (for example, it can be Bitwig also, or Cubase), and realize how unintuitive and not so logic Logic is. I really like Logic, hundreds of tracks were made there. But I have bitten an apple of knowledge, by trying all other DAWs and this knowledge made me suffer from DAW comparison. If I work in Logic Pro, I miss macros and splitter in Studio One or crazy routing capabilities of Bitwigs routing and modulators. If I work in Studio one, I miss the clean Logic interface and some plugins, etc. No peace for me now. So probably I'm just jealous of those who can stick with one and think it is the best of all :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”