How easy is the Korg Wavestation to use?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've really tried but this synth just doesn't seem to work right at all. The modulation between the oscillators only works when i set it to the mod wheel. I have no idea how the LFO's work at all since they don't seem to modulate this at all. It makes absolutely no sense to me

Did you try the suggestions? How about doing a screen grab of the modulator you're applying, and also the LFO page of the LFO you're using.

You have set the Initial Amount of the LFO you're using to a reasonable value? (say 50 or 100 or so). I didn't see any confirmation from you that you had done that so it's hard to know what you have or haven't done.

The synth works fine just the way it did from the 90s - something's just not clicking with you, and I'm happy to help you clear up what that is...

I have two distinct oscillators, I am trying to modulate between them so you hear them shift into each other.

I set the linear axis between a and c to maximum so that there's a think blue line across the matrix (+127 value)

I select LFO1 as the mod source and leave source 2 blank

I go into the setting for LFO 1 and set the depth value to be +127. Other than mod wheel it doesn't matter which other parameter I choose because it has no effect, I know this because altering the rate of lfo 1 does nothing. There is no audible effect.

I have no idea why this is. If I set the axis to modulate directly witht he mod wheel it is fine. If I set the LFO1 depth to be modulated by the mod wheel it usually works, but that means having to commit the mod wheel to that purpose. I don't really understand why LFO one needs at least on other source to work, and even then it doesn't appear to.

ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:41 pm I have two distinct oscillators, I am trying to modulate between them so you hear them shift into each other.
Ok, but what parameter are you modulating?
ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:41 pmI set the linear axis between a and c to maximum so that there's a think blue line across the matrix (+127 value)

I select LFO1 as the mod source and leave source 2 blank
You are modulating the Mix Env, using the Mix Env Mod then?
ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:41 pmI go into the setting for LFO 1 and set the depth value to be +127. Other than mod wheel it doesn't matter which other parameter I choose because it has no effect, I know this because altering the rate of lfo 1 does nothing. There is no audible effect.
Remember, you are not modulating the oscillator levels directly, you are modulating the joystick position. So your Vector settings are crucial otherwise you won't get what you expect. Eg, it's the old thing of having a filter cutoff set at Max, and then adding a modulator that's adding between 0 and 100 to the value, but you don't hear any effect because the modulated parameter is already at maximum.
ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:41 pmI have no idea why this is. If I set the axis to modulate directly witht he mod wheel it is fine. If I set the LFO1 depth to be modulated by the mod wheel it usually works, but that means having to commit the mod wheel to that purpose. I don't really understand why LFO one needs at least on other source to work, and even then it doesn't appear to.
I just set this up here, to have LFO1 modulating the vector position and thus between the two oscillators.

Don't forget that you need to think about your bus routing - on the Performance page, you probably just want this patch routed to A:50 B:50 to route to the left and right bus, and not also send in mixed signals from other busses as well.

I can't send you the patch because you can't load it, so screenies will have to do.
ws1.jpg
ws2.jpg
Remember that each oscillator has it's own independent LFO1 and LFO2, so you'll need the same settings for LFO1 on each oscillator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I appreciate the response, but it isn't working. I've copied those settings and sounds exactly and the LFO isn't doing anything. Altering the rate does nothing so the LFO isn't modulating

ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:42 pm I appreciate the response, but it isn't working. I've copied those settings and sounds exactly and the LFO isn't doing anything. Altering the rate does nothing so the LFO isn't modulating
I can assure you it works - I'm not just making it up! That's it's not working for you is not a bug, it's just you have something going on in your patch that is affecting things in ways in which you're not sure of. I can't screen grab every edit page. If I had your patch I could probably find it reasonably quickly.

You made sure of the performance bus routing as I mention above? Check your bus routings in the Pan tab as well, and it really helps to understand how the bus routings and signal paths through the FX to the outputs work.

This would all be so much easier if you actually owned it and we could just transfer patches... I'm not sure how much more I can do than I already have, otherwise.

beely wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:47 pm
ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:42 pm I appreciate the response, but it isn't working. I've copied those settings and sounds exactly and the LFO isn't doing anything. Altering the rate does nothing so the LFO isn't modulating
I can assure you it works - I'm not just making it up! That's it's not working for you is not a bug, it's just you have something going on in your patch that is affecting things in ways in which you're not sure of. I can't screen grab every edit page. If I had your patch I could probably find it reasonably quickly.

You made sure of the performance bus routing as I mention above? Check your bus routings in the Pan tab as well, and it really helps to understand how the bus routings and signal paths through the FX to the outputs work.

This would all be so much easier if you actually owned it and we could just transfer patches... I'm not sure how much more I can do than I already have, otherwise.
I did everything you said the LFO does not modulate the sound. So either the demo version is limited or flawed in some way or you've overlooked something. I certainly won't be buying a product that doesn't work

ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:00 pmSo either the demo version is limited or flawed in some way or you've overlooked something.
The demo is not limited, and I haven't overlooked something as my patch where I set it up here works fine. That *your* patch doesn't work is down to *you* overlooking something (the guy who's been using the demo for a few days), not me (the guy who's been programming the WS since about 1993).

I have no idea of what else you have going on in your performance, and although I asked for screen grabs so I could see, you didn't provide them.

I'm just trying to help you understand the synth dude, but your seeming insistence that everything is someone else's fault rather than simply realising you just don't have the synth figured out yet (which isn't surprising, these things are complex) is getting a little wearing.
ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:00 pmI certainly won't be buying a product that doesn't work
Maybe it's just not for you. In any case, I've given about as much time and patience trying to help you with your problem that I'm prepared to spend, so let's just leave it there.
Last edited by beely on Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It isn't 'my' patch. I copied the information from the screens precisely. Now you can choose not to believe me or to believe I'm in error. But I'm not going to be buying it unless it works and it doesn't. I don't have screen grabs because I don't have a sharing account and I would only be copying what You have put up.

I haven't said it was anyone's fault and it's not for you to put words in my mouth. I have said that either you've overlooked something or the synth has limitations that prevent this from working because it's a demo. I have no idea why it isn't working.

ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:11 pm I haven't said it was anyone's fault...I have said that either you've overlooked something or the synth has limitations...
:lol:

Another bystander shout out of thanks to @beely. Huge kudos for taking the time to write all this up. Thank you much.

jdoo wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:23 am Another bystander shout out of thanks to @beely. Huge kudos for taking the time to write all this up. Thank you much.
I've been reading the thread for a few days now and I just register. Have to agree, very useful posts.

I tried to read the manual, but even that somehow seemed unintuitive

The manual, I mean, not the act of reading, LOL

So, is there any way to know (based on bank number, or something else...) which Wavestation patches --actually use-- the vector joystick?

Because I've clicked on like twenty random patches across the various factory / card content, and so far not a single one has actually been mapped to use it.

Am I missing something?

No, there isn't. The Wavestation can pretty much be restricted to old-fashioned subtractive synthesis, so there's a bunch of patches (which you've found!) that are just 2-3 waveforms with no vectoring. There are definitely patches that use them, although their sound may be quite subtle.

But no, there's no trick or tip to determining which use VS. You'd have to experiment, and if need be, add it in later.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Return to “Instruments”