Is it safe to buy Logic Pro X today?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My wife needed a new computer. She doesn't do anything with any heavy lifting, so the basic M1 Mini seemed the right choice. I also figured it would give me the opportunity to try Logic on the new M1 processor. So, back in January/February, I got an external ssd and monitor and tested Logic out. I was amazed. It ran projects that gave my late 2015 i7 4ghz 32gb RAM iMac overload messages. That was the basic model, mind. And the original intent for that computer is as my wife's.
The decision to buy one specifically for Logic came after my tests. I decided I wanted the extra RAM and storage space, even though I had to give up my firstborn to Apple for the privilege. Logic works great on the M1.
I don't know what percentage of people are buying them for audio or video. The basic Mini is a beast that would more than handle the needs of the average person at a very attractive price point. They've gone down in price, too.
Anyway, I doubt Apple will do anything radical with Logic Pro, other than the dropping of the X. That seems to indicate that Logic is here to stay for the foreseeable future.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:31 pm My wife needed a new computer….so the basic M1 Mini seemed the right choice. I was amazed. It ran projects that gave my late 2015 i7 4ghz 32gb RAM iMac overload messages. That was the basic model, mind. And the original intent for that computer is as my wife's.
The decision to buy one specifically for Logic came after my tests. I decided I wanted the extra RAM and storage space, even though I had to give up my firstborn to Apple for the privilege. Logic works great on the M1.
I don't know what percentage of people are buying them for audio or video. The basic Mini is a beast that would more than handle the needs of the average person at a very attractive price point. They've gone down in price, too.
Hers was the 8 GB? That’s encouraging. I see the 8 one at Costco for $599 although I’d want the 16.

Yep.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I really don’t think people need to worry. They sell it and make money from the sale. Of course people buying their second or third Mac won’t buy it again however you need to think about those buying it the first time. The students. The new producers. The first time Mac buyers. There are masses of these type of people. I’m a teacher by day and the amount of 16+ students who buy their first Mac and go all in on logic and final cut is massive even in one school. Apple put in significant resources to keep logic up to date as we have seen. These developments are not a small undertaking like running some adverts for marketing. Sure is sells Mac’s but macs also sell logic.
- Logic Pro -

It is not safe to buy Logic Pro X today....

Buy it tommorow :)
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am It is not safe to buy Logic Pro X today....

Buy it tommorow :)
LoL 😂
Btw; How can anyone question the petty (LOW) dollar price of Logic Pro and ask such question is beyond my understanding…
Every other respectable DAW compatible with Mac will cost at least twice as much and sadly won’t be Apple Silicone native.

I expect all the free updates I've received over the last 8 years have paid for a good chunk of this Mini. And as Logic users know, the major upgrades have not been trivial. At all. If you use Macs anyway, Logic is the best choice, imo. At least, for me.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:30 pm Every other respectable DAW compatible with Mac will cost at least twice as much and sadly won’t be Apple Silicone native.
Only almost correct. I own Logic but I still never regretted to get Bitwig which is way more inspiring for me, though Logic really advanced a lot in the last few years as well.
Bitwig is native M1 and on sale by a factor of 1.5 more expensive, but the factor will grow over the years, if you want to keep up with updates.
The other M1 native DAW is Reaper which is cheaper if you stay in the amateur area of production. You get so many years of updates/upgrades, that it needs decades to get up to the price of Logic…
But Logic comes with top notch instruments you don‘t want to miss and those do not run in other hosts. For that reason I also have a copy of Mainstage which can host those… (for about the price of Reaper but with a quality of collections which cost at least 5 times as much on a sale…)
I bet other DAW creators will follow up with M1 support…

Its safe to get Logic if it fits your taste and you don‘t mind being bound to Apple for the rest of your life…

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:01 am Its safe to get Logic if it fits your taste and you don‘t mind being bound to Apple for the rest of your life…
hehehehe... that's rather dramatic :hihi:

The problem with all commercial tools is, that you will be bound to what you learned. In general not a difference with other companies, but with Logic you are also bound to their hardware. To get out of the loop you need to learn again. If you want to keep a general freedom, stick with open source, but the only DAW I know of which would give you that sort of freedom is Ardour. But with commercial DAWs you gain another type of freedom, which usually is more important and mostly safe...
The one DAW which died for me was Studio Vision, killed by Gibson... The other one I am very fluid with is ProTools, but I'll never get into their business model ever, I had to learn Reaper for the stuff Bitwig isn't good at...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”