Learn alone or do a music school ?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to improve music composition (FL Studio exactly) and I'm stuck in my learning. I can't find the way to progress and it discourages me... Do you guys make a music school or learn by yourself ? And is it recommended to do a music school ?

I'm almost completely self taught. I bought a book about how to play the organ when I first started out, which taught me the basics of forming chords and not much else. I don't see that a lack of knowledge has ever stopped me doing what I want to do. I just go by the credo that if it sounds right, it is right.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

nz666 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:39 am I'm stuck in my learning. I can't find the way to progress and it discourages me...
[...]
And is it recommended to do a music school ?
In your position: absolutely!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

if you aren't progressing on your own you are a likely candidate for something structured and cogent in some form of school, a community college Theory 101 kind of deal for starters.
Having to intensely write harmony in four parts and be judged every day has proven invaluable to me. By 'and be judged' I mean the prof was playing it on the piano and it sounds good or not, and if you're doing the task right it sounds good.
it's not "A" work for merely being correct.

nz666 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:39 am I want to improve music composition (FL Studio exactly) and I'm stuck in my learning.
Just to be clear, you are saying you want to improve *musically*, correct? I'm asking because you followed that by "FL Studio exactly". If all you want to do is improve your FLS skills and familiarity, then I would probably not recommend music school for that - get a Groove3 subscription or something instead. I don't know which DAWs music schools are using these days, but I suspect not too many of them are focused on FLS.

But, if you are saying that you want to improve your music skills, then yeah I agree with the others - structured learning in school is the obvious way to go. Alternatively, maybe something like private piano lessons with an instructor who has good theory and composition skills would also be useful, if you can find one (I was fortunate to have that when I was a kid).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Indeed, you're much more likely to use Logic and Pro Tools at audio engineering school.

Music school, joining a band and/or finding people to jam with might be best for improving as a musician; Audio engineering school might be best for improving as an engineer or producer; YouTube and forums such as this might be best for learning how to use DAWs.

There is plenty of good literature to consume as well - which you would also be recommended to read if you choose to apply yourself to some form of certified course.

"I want to improve music composition..."
So now it's about audio engineering school?
not sure how FLS fits into the question but I was taking the quoted statement at face value.
I accomplished a fair bit all on my lonesome but having coursework I could apply took me to next levels.
Some people really don't need help for what they want to do, some people are gifted with fantastic ears and an innate sense of how music works.
Some goals aren't available to some of us without 'training'. The OP says they're stuck, next level is probably a coursework and the discipline that affords and the information and expanded vocabulary will follow. And one might find their goals more defined with that imposed.

cryophonik wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:18 pm
nz666 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:39 am I want to improve music composition (FL Studio exactly) and I'm stuck in my learning.
Just to be clear, you are saying you want to improve *musically*, correct? I'm asking because you followed that by "FL Studio exactly". If all you want to do is improve your FLS skills and familiarity, then I would probably not recommend music school for that - get a Groove3 subscription or something instead. I don't know which DAWs music schools are using these days, but I suspect not too many of them are focused on FLS.

But, if you are saying that you want to improve your music skills, then yeah I agree with the others - structured learning in school is the obvious way to go. Alternatively, maybe something like private piano lessons with an instructor who has good theory and composition skills would also be useful, if you can find one (I was fortunate to have that when I was a kid).
Yes its just musics skill, I wrote "FL studio" so you know what DAW I use, my bad I wrote like an ass because my english is (as you can see) is not so good

There are some decent music theory classes on Udemy, even one biased towards electronic music that helps get your brain working/thinking...

But I'll be honest, making music is like writing software. Master your tools - so choose a single DAW and very FEW plugins to concern yourself with and just start experimenting. Udemy classes go on sale all the time, so the 10 dollar electronic music theory is great if you don't want the very academic general music theory - maybe grab some cheap classes for piano and such too. I used to think I needed to work with an instructor or do a class, but I'll be honest most of the time the shared classes unless you're going to a VERY SPECIFIC school move so slooow so I like udemy... of course, there are many like it... but owning and pacing myself is better than oh crap I'm paying month to month for this

There's enough people around giving private piano/guitar lessons, who are aware about whole music production aspect and can really teach you things you can exploit for your own music making, just tell them what you do and what are you trying to learn and achieve.

If you are young enough to actually go to proper music school, go for it, even better.

+1 to what Jan said. If you simply want to learn an instrument, you could take private lessons. To learn composition, you'd benefit from a decent structured curriculum.
It is somewhere in my list of regrets: being too arrogant and turning my nose up at an excellent guitar teacher who would've brought me up to the next levels more efficiently and help rid me of bad habits.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

15 years ago I got into learning FL Studio (EDM music) and taught myself. Nowadays there's youtube videos to help in which helped me get back into it. I still new but you can absolutely learn by yourself.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”