Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

I use an SSD with Studio One (and everyone should do the same, it's 2021) and my plugin scan took 3 mins the first time I scanned 400 plugins and now it takes 3 seconds whenever I start Studio One. It's fast enough. And if you don't want that just disable it. Processing, loading/saving projects, loading samples, exporting mixdown, etc. is incredibly fast for me, at least it's much faster than FL Studio. It exports a song of 4 min which is all midi and has tons of plugins as inserts in 90 seconds FFS.

I think I should also mention that I have 9900k and 64gb ram.

EnGee wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:24 am Cubase has Vst racks.

Personally, I don't use it because I only need multi audio to appear for a vst instrument like Addictive Drums or Groove Agent, so I mostly use VST Track.
I have never noticed the VST tab rack in Cubase and I have owned it for over two years. :o

I have just messed around with it a bit, and it might be useful - but do I need it now I know its there ?

Not something I’ve ever used or care about, but I’ve got Unify if I really wanted to combine a load of synths and don’t care about having discrete audio tracks from each, but I usually want to keep them separate.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

dellboy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:07 am

Personally, I don't use it because I only need multi audio to appear for a vst instrument like Addictive Drums or Groove Agent, so I mostly use VST Track.
I have never noticed the VST tab rack in Cubase and I have owned it for over two years. :o

I have just messed around with it a bit, and it might be useful - but do I need it now I know its there ?
It is up to you! It gives more freedom to organize your midi channels for a multitimbral instrument or an instrument with several output.

For me, I almost do the same with my MODX. I add several midi tracks and assign them to several channels that I have my instruments in one performance, so you can do whatever you want also without it (adding folder ..etc).

For drums like Addictive drums for example, I like just one instrument but assign several audio outputs (you can do the same exactly in Studio One). Here I activate outputs (small icon on the right):
Addictive drums multi.jpg
But in the end, I prefer the freedom of choice in Cubase more than in Studio One. I like to choose between midi only and an instrument.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EnGee wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:40 amBut in the end, I prefer the freedom of choice in Cubase more than in Studio One. I like to choose between midi only and an instrument.
Semantics.

In S1, if you add an empty Instrument Track to sequencer then it functions exactly as MIDI Track in Cubase.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Flash sale: 30% off Studio One v5 (including upgrades) this weekend.
and also presonus sphere
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:24 am Flash sale: 30% off Studio One v5 (including upgrades) this weekend.
and also presonus sphere
I am tempted to upgrade but wonder if it will be better to wait to Black Friday ?

Was it more than 30% last Black Friday ?

This is the lowest I’ve seen v5 so far.
A few years back there was a 40% off Black Friday sale on v4, bringing the upgrade to $95. It’s currently $105 during this sale. So at best, you might save an extra $10, which is about $3 a month from now until Black Friday. Worth the wait?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Wondering if it is worth upgrading now?

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:51 am
Trensharo wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:39 pm
Also, you can't set up an external audio editor.

Pet Peeve, but I hate how it doesn't display plug-in thumbnails with uniform width.

Takes forever to load and save.
You can export selections as wav files.

You can change the plugins to gallery mode using the four square icon on the browser so all plugins appear the same width.

Use a faster drive.
1. That's a pretty slow workflow.

2. That completely nixes all categorization for the plug-ins. Everything is in one huge list. Not optimal, or even close.

3. My system is running off a PCIe 4 SSD. My Sample Libraries are on a PCIe 3 SSD. Even still, Cubase loads the equivalent template and projects about 5x faster than Studio One 5.3 on my laptop where the system is on a PCIe 3 SSD and the Sample Libraries are on a Samsung T5 external SSD. My storage speed is not the issue. Shut up with that.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

EnGee wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:40 am
dellboy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:07 am

It is up to you! It gives more freedom to organize your midi channels for a multitimbral instrument or an instrument with several output.

For me, I almost do the same with my MODX. I add several midi tracks and assign them to several channels that I have my instruments in one performance, so you can do whatever you want also without it (adding folder ..etc).

For drums like Addictive drums for example, I like just one instrument but assign several audio outputs (you can do the same exactly in Studio One). Here I activate outputs (small icon on the right):

Addictive drums multi.jpg

But in the end, I prefer the freedom of choice in Cubase more than in Studio One. I like to choose between midi only and an instrument.
Correct. It also adds the Instrument Outputs to their own Instrument Subfolder within the I/O folder. I love that feature. It just keeps everything so organized and out of the way until I actually want to start working with Audio. Instrument outputs are quite simple to manage, in terms of what you enable or disable.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Fornicras wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:34 am I use an SSD with Studio One (and everyone should do the same, it's 2021) and my plugin scan took 3 mins the first time I scanned 400 plugins and now it takes 3 seconds whenever I start Studio One. It's fast enough. And if you don't want that just disable it. Processing, loading/saving projects, loading samples, exporting mixdown, etc. is incredibly fast for me, at least it's much faster than FL Studio. It exports a song of 4 min which is all midi and has tons of plugins as inserts in 90 seconds FFS.

I think I should also mention that I have 9900k and 64gb ram.
Loading Projects in Studio One is a lot slower than Cubase and slower than Cakewalk. The larger the project gets, the worse it gets. So, I'm going to assume you're exaggerating.

The VST scan definitely takes more than 3 seconds on my machines. Both of them, and I definitely don't have 400 plug-ins installed. That sounds awful, regardless of the DAW.

Another thing that pisses me off is the MODAL dialog that pops up if you have a MIDI Controller with an On/Off Switch and start up the DAW with it turned off.

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:31 am Wondering if it is worth upgrading now?
How is the MPE editing compared to other DAWS now?

Trensharo wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:01 am Another thing that pisses me off is the MODAL dialog that pops up if you have a MIDI Controller with an On/Off Switch and start up the DAW with it turned off.
Iirc you can disable this behavior in the preferences.

antic604 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:33 pm Hit 'N' to disable grid snapping. I know, it's weird they did it like that :dog:

BTW, you can create your custom macro that will disable snapping, perform the bounce and enable the snapping back.
Thanks I'll be giving this a go tomorrow when I get back to the DAW!
billcarroll wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:58 pm What are your quantize settings set to?
Not been at the Daw for last days so can't check but does that affect how long a bounce will be ?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”