TDR version of the Molot compressor is out - Molotok (free) and Molot GE

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

e@rs wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:54 am ^Don't torture yourself man, just get it and make the suffering go away! :P

I'll surely get Molot GE today; now my problem is if I should also get DeEdger...
:hihi: It's gonna happen, may as well accept defeat. Oh, I now see it's €50, down from €70 for DeEdger & Molot. My god, they are killing me :lol:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

30€ for me here for the deedger too. Why? I don't need it.

I've always wondered if DeEdger is any good as I do prefer a less harsh sound.

I wonder how it compares to the Hardness filter in SlickEQ M. I'm guessing the biggest difference is that it's narrower and dynamic, acting on transients only.

@ScrLk, there are two videos of deedger on youtube, one by Dan Worrall. In both videos I wasn't able to hear the before and after with my eyes closed, so I must have very bad hearing.

rafa1981 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:53 pm @ScrLk, there are two videos of deedger on youtube, one by Dan Worrall. In both videos I wasn't able to hear the before and after with my eyes closed, so I must have very bad hearing.
It's not the first time something like that happened to me either, which is why i usually stick to more heavy handed tools.

From the DeEdger thread:
bmanic wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 4:12 pm Let's get some things straight:

1) This is NOT a replacement for tools that try to control resonances/frequencies, like bx_refinement (which is a complete ripoff in my opinion as it's just some basic filtering) or Soothe (which is absolutely amazing).

2) This thing works "intelligently" on TRANSIENTS. This is why on some material you will struggle to hear any difference at all and on some material it's very obvious.

3) It's a relatively subtle effect. However, once you actually learn to hear what it does, it's hard to "unhear" it and you've suddenly upgraded your ear/brain connection and advanced to the next level of audio experience. :)

Harshness in this case is "clicky" "ticky" annoying transients that give the sound source a sort cheap/amateur feel to it. Very evident on most home-brew/my-first drum overhead recordings done with bad equipment and bad cymbals. Everything is just clickety-clacky and nasty. This plugin can seriously help in these situations, together with EQ and compression.

This is a plugin that can take a while to learn what it does and thus the price reflects it. Only people who persevere and know that they need it are the target audience. I suspect the vast majority won't "get it". Especially people who struggle to hear or understand subtle dynamic range changes (compression/expansion) will most likely have a hard time hearing the effect here. Which is totally okay. It's a very specific tool and knowingly very subtle. It was created by a mastering engineer so it's no wonder.
So, don't be too harsh on yourselves guys. :wink:

I use deEdger sometimes on 'tense-sounding,' over-energetic vocal tracks.

I FREQUENTLY use it on drum samples. Don't bother buying it just because you feel like you ought to, though. Just use the demo--there's no recall, but don't worry, just experiment with it every once in a while, on various tracks, things that seem maybe too harsh, or that wear your ears out a bit. Maybe turn the effect up to max, at first, so that you can TOTALLY hear what it's doing, and then turn it way down again. Try to train yourself to hear the difference at more extreme levels and then turn it down bit by bit so that you can learn to hear it when it's subtle as well, and figure the ideal way to apply it.

EDIT: something to keep in mind is that it works better on busses and things than individual tracks, because that way (and this is intentional, as it's a mastering-oriented plugin) it won't "de-edge" something that's already been seated down nicely in the mix.
Last edited by sleepcircle on Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Planning to do exactly that ^. Only bought Molot GE this time.

It's something to demo then.

DeEdger is basically a transient shaper for annoying frequencies. I demoed it and found I can get Izotope Spectral Shaper to do similar things but its a bit more of a blunt tool.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:50 am ... but its a bit more of a blunt tool.
That's what Snoop said.

is this thing a CPU hog or is it just me

All TDR plugins are on the higher side of CPU consumption IME.
It's the only little downside to them

Of course quality comes at the cost of more CPU, but there is also stuff from competing companies with equal results which require less CPU

I don't really care that much about that anymore though and can live with the fact, that i can't run dozens of them in a project. On my aging laptop at least.
What's more important to me that they don't open up sluggishly with annoying delays of several seconds, even if they are already loaded in your project and just need to re-open the GUI, like some of the competitors do.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:55 am All TDR plugins are on the higher side of CPU consumption IME.
It's the only little downside to them

Of course quality comes at the cost of more CPU, but there is also stuff from competing companies with equal results which require less CPU
Any alternative compressors to molot?
(And also maybe kotelnikov)
Don’t care for EQs. I remember demoing molot and it felt like special, but i’ve downloaded it yesterday just to technically evaluate it and discovered its massive CPU drain. (A lot) More than any other compressor i have.
No contest in terms of CPU to voxengo and fab compressor; even with eco mode.

The current audiodeluxe sale is tempting.

Re: edit
Yes that’s why i’m weening of Softube and looking for some alternatives. Plugin loading is killing me. Also trying to go M1 native sooner rather then later

My alternative to Molot would be Voxengo's Deft compressor, but you most likely are already familiar with that.
Of course it doesn't do everything Molot does, but i think the results, at least regarding the „alpha/sigma“ thingie are comparable

And if you don't need the thickness: DC8C is probably my alround best compressor, but it's generally more on th smoother / transparent side and not an instant thickness machine like Molot is per default.

Having said that, i still use Molot over Deft in the end, but not because it sounds noticeably better, but because it does more or less the same, but with a few more features.
Oh and it has the best knob response of all companies i know (as all TDR products in general do)
No f**king overshooting of values in both directions back and forth until you hit it at some point (with some luck and patience), because you moved your mouse 2.5 millimeters instead of 2.3

alternative to Kotelnikov: Unisum of course, which sadly is pretty expensive - and also uses a lot of CPU :lol:
Got it in last winter sale for “only 105 Euros“ i think, so maybe waiting might pay off this year too, if you don't already have it.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Return to “Effects”