TDR version of the Molot compressor is out - Molotok (free) and Molot GE

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is the alpha/sigma thingie?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

FapFilter wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:14 am My alternative to Molot would be Voxengo's Deft compressor, but you most likely are already familiar with that.
Of course it doesn't do everything Molot does, but i think the results, at least regarding the „alpha/sigma“ thingie are comparable

And if you don't need the thickness: DC8C is probably my alround best compressor, but it's generally more on th smoother / transparent side and not an instant thickness machine like Molot is per default.

Having said that, i still use Molot over Deft in the end, but not because it sounds noticeably better, but because it does more or less the same, but with a few more features.
Oh and it has the best knob response of all companies i know (as all TDR products in general do)
No f**king overshooting of values in both directions back and forth until you hit it at some point (with some luck and patience), because you moved your mouse 2.5 millimeters instead of 2.3

alternative to Kotelnikov: Unisum of course, which sadly is pretty expensive - and also uses a lot of CPU :lol:
Got it in last winter sale for “only 105 Euros“ i think, so maybe waiting might pay off this year too, if you don't already have it.
I have both Deft Compressor and Unisum :lol:
Love em both and use them very often.
For some reason i always thought of Deft Compressor as some kind of mix of 1176 and dbx160 (although its neither)
But cpu usage Deft vs Molot is :ud: probably could run 10 instances of Deft on a single molot

will take a look at DC8C - although i do have Presswerk which appears as a similar animal

@ Aloysius: It's the terminology they use in this compressor for the attack curve's behavior.
Alpha is grabby and the attack grabs almost instantly, while Sigma “delays“ this because of it's non linear curve (Sigmoid curve in this case if i'm not totally mistaken)
You can smoothly blend from 100% alpha to 100% sigma to get the exact behavior you want

In Molot, this function “only“ affects the attack, while in Deft, the equivalent function affects both the attack and release IIRC.
In DC8C (and other highly configurable compressors) you can shape the attack and release curves separately
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

^ Thank you!!!
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

god, everytime i demo molot i so want to buy it but then i don't - i probably won't this time either.
It's so good, but the CPU hit is really hard but i think i can still get in the ballpark with a few of my compressors.

I see it the other way round: Molot GE is more adaptable than most compressors and can get into their ballpark.

In that sense DC8C is really the main competitor. At this price I don't mind having both :D

Both things are true, however i already have presswerk which sort of works like DC8C and i’m trying to have -less- not more :) despite the price

Ploki wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:43 am is this thing a CPU hog or is it just me
CPU is higher than for example stock typical DAW plugins but it's not a hog. I'd call something like IK Tapes or any AA plugin a hog but not this. MJUC also uses more CPU when HQ is on.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:25 pm
CPU is higher than for example stock typical DAW plugins but it's not a hog. I'd call something like IK Tapes or any AA plugin a hog but not this. MJUC also uses more CPU when HQ is on.

It’s default settings is much more than i.e presswerk, unisum or pro-c2

Ploki wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:39 pm
v1o wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:25 pm

It’s default settings is much more than i.e presswerk, unisum or pro-c2
Molot's eco mode is probably comparable in processing quality to those other plugins. Personally I'd leave it on eco and use the other modes for mixdown.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

got a PM from god and also discovered that i have 13$ deluxe bucks so i just went ahead and got it. :D

Ploki wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:51 am got a PM from god and also discovered that i have 13$ deluxe bucks so i just went ahead and got it. :D
This is true! :hihi:

Can highly recommend this one, it is very worth to check out indeed. Not only for the Compression, but also for the very versatile Dynamic Saturation Stage, which they have actually put a lot of work and thought into. :phones:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Ploki wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:51 am got a PM from god and also discovered that i have 13$ deluxe bucks so i just went ahead and got it. :D
Did god PM you also the summer sale discount that ended on sunday IIRC?
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:21 am
but i bought it at audio deluxe - the sale is until end of august :P

thanks El°HYM :party:
Last edited by Ploki on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ploki wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:37 am
FapFilter wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:21 am
but i bought it at audio deluxe - the sale is until end of august :P

God knows everything. :D
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Return to “Effects”