Steinberg Backbone - Drum Re-synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
15698 posts since 12 Oct, 2008 from Here and there

Post Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:44 pm

One can always complain about what's missing or one can appreciate what's available...
If you want the spectral oscillator in conjunction with LFOs and other modulators, use Padshop.

KVRAF
2038 posts since 16 May, 2004 from Soviet Union

Post Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:05 pm

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:44 pm
use Padshop.
Obviously, it's other workflow, not so suitable for taking pleasure from single-shot's sculpting, and more so without deconstructing.

KVRAF
2370 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:25 pm

Not having LFOs and MSEGs and such doesn't ruin the instrument for me (it would be nice to have them, of course). I can use Max for Live modulators. As it is, Backbone is pretty damn cool. I already have other synths that do resynthesis, but this one seems to have a nice combination of control over the sample and layering.

One can ponder what Steinberg could do if they decided to merge some of their technologies even moreso in Halion: Spectral Layers/Wavelab, Padshop, Backbone . . . I'm not sure what it would look like or if it's feasible, but I've imagined an updated Iris-like VST that would allow one to isolate areas of multiple spectral images (frequency and time), potentially apply granular synthesis to them and all sorts of other effects, and have a variety of morphing algorithms to blend it all into something new. Maybe I'll get Metasynth when it comes out for Windows. But I'm having a lot of fun with Backbone, with more to discover about it.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is a [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin

KVRAF

Post Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:47 am

Hmm....damn. Today tried better. Ok will see.
BTW found issue it seems - unable to automate "Max Freq" fader (location Resynth\Filter\). While all other control here (like opposite "Low Cut" fader, etc) can be automated fine.

KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:07 pm

Another thing that perplexed a bit, that Decomposing forcibly creates additional wav files in the directory when using user samples, which can create a rather irreversible mess, especially in case of large folder structure of user collection. Plus space consumption resp.
Can't this be happening in RAM only? Maybe there is some settings.
And, what occurs if we Decompose samples from factory collection ? I not see that in this case could creates some external wav's.

Edit: Ok found that it can be saved in separate folder, that better. But, still wondering what occurs in case of factory (container's) wav's.

KVRAF

Post Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:49 pm

KVRAF
2370 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:49 pm

Hmm, maybe they merge the tech with another plugin they sell. But what?
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is a [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin

KVRAF
5347 posts since 15 Oct, 2017 from U.S.

Post Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:39 pm

Maybe something that takes it further by adding pads for multiple drum samples to be triggered as a kit
Living rent free

KVRAF
3208 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:27 pm

c_voltage wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:49 pm
Backbone already legacy lol https://www.kvraudio.com/product/backbone-by-steinberg
Only In the KVR store mate :dog:
You may want to get your facts straight…
https://www.steinberg.net/vst-instrumen ... WkEALw_wcB

KVRian
916 posts since 8 Oct, 2019

Post Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:57 pm

Yeah that would be crazy from Steinberg, Backbone was released in May 2020.

So it basically means that you can't buy it through KVR anymore? Or what exactly is a KVR legacy product?

KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:36 am

Sorry guys actually I'm sure this is just some typo from kvr webmaster. (Just it seemed fun)

Return to “Instruments”