A gorgeous new granular delay by Audio Damage -

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Like a lot of you, I've been into all things 'granular' recently and came across Audio Damage's new granular delay called Other Desert Cities https://www.audiodamage.com/products/ad ... ert-cities It's on sale right now for $59 instead of $79.

I fired up one of my favorite cinematic acoustic guitar patches in Omnisphere and inserted Other Desert Cities (ODC from now on) on a bus. Then I started with single notes to hear ODC's different algorithms and I've only checked about half of the presets and I'm already in love with this beautiful effect!!

What really strikes me is how lush this effect is. It's just gorgeous. There are different types of delay to choose from which all sound amazing but the crown jewel is the pitch-shifting granular delay with "control over grain size and scatter..." with eq, saturation, pitch-quantizing, reverse and more.

I would encourage you to check it out even if you already use Output's Portal. I find the two different enough sonically speaking to have both in the toolbox. The scattering effect was one of the cool features that Portal has and ODC can also achieve that. So far I like everything about this plugin, including the dark interface and neat layout of parameters.

Nice one Audio Damage!!! :tu:

This seems to be very capable indeed.

all its modes are great it is true but 5+6 are my favs also:)
oh and the sweet DIFUSSOR module!!!!
great and musical new delay pack. original magic.
waiting for its iOS release next days to be able to use it live...
Last edited by wakax on Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:11 am This seems to be very capable indeed.
iirc you work with timeless3 too, curious as how they compare.
On paper, the feature set doesn't feel so far apart

Now I eagerly await some amazing presets from Simon ! ! . . :) :) :phones:

ljpro1 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:20 am Now I eagerly await some amazing presets from Simon ! ! . . :) :) :phones:
Metoo, but I have yet to demo it which I will do later today.

This sounds lovely...and I still have my Focusrite AD discount code :tu:

It looks gorgeous, and the featureset is quite appealing indeed.
I wonder what's the overlap with Unfiltered Audio SandMan Pro (both feature various delay modes, diffusion, a comprehensive modulation section...)?

Best plugin name for a long time. Cant wait to try it
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

sinkmusic wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:48 am It looks gorgeous, and the featureset is quite appealing indeed.
I wonder what's the overlap with Unfiltered Audio SandMan Pro (both feature various delay modes, diffusion, a comprehensive modulation section...)?
Demoed ODC and have to say it's something special. I will wait till honeymoon time is over to decide if I'll buy it :D I have Sandman / Sandman Pro and I think ODC is way ahead – from the sounds and from the functionality. ODC is not as fiddly as Sandman Pro, the user experience is much more pleasant. If you know what I mean if I say I like to play my effects I can say ODC is playable. Also the sound is better. Hard to describe ofc. ODC sounds smoother a bit more "organic" and musical.

Sandman Pro was a cheap buy and I like the ability to freeze the buffer and scrub around. In fact this is what I have Sandman Pro used for. Don't use it anymore not sure if it's still installed cause the delay was not as good as I hoped. I also was disappointed by u-he ColourCopy in the long run.

u-he MFM2 and VahallaDelay are my favorites but this AD ODC is tempting – bit pricey but the sound and functionality is top.

BTW: I'm selling ColourCopy by u-he for €35. Transfer can be done from the 21th of September onward

EDIT: Tested SandmanPro again and indeed I do not like the delay at all. The diffusion sounds nice but the different modes are not my taste as the overall sound of the delay. The buffer thing is nice but that's it. The modulation options are nice but very fiddly and somewhat cumbersome. Got almost all UA stuff here and there for cheap but in the end just G8 is still in use the rest is happily forgotten. Rarely BYOME get some use but it's also full of design flaws imo.
Last edited by Autobot on Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rabbit in a hole

Ploki wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:17 am
Sampleconstruct wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:11 am This seems to be very capable indeed.
iirc you work with timeless3 too, curious as how they compare.
On paper, the feature set doesn't feel so far apart
In T3 you have a much more complex modulation system, up to 6 LFOs which can also modulate each other, several envelope followers, you can add and assign Macros and x/y-pads and of course you have all the filters inside the feedback loop and the LowFi effect. But T3 doesn't do reverse delays, it doesn't have the granular option and the pitch shifting doesn't sound as good.

Looks crazy good, indeed. Just when you thought you are already settled with enough grainy Delays, Audio Damage comes around the corner.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

El°HYM wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:56 pm Looks crazy good, indeed. Just when you thought you are already settled with enough grainy Delays, Audio Damage comes around the corner.
I would really not put it down to a grain delay. While the grain algo is pretty good especially in conjunction with the diffusion the other algos are damn good too.

ODC is a perfect complement to ValhallaDelay imo. While the latter is rather analog-y (intended artifacts and design of the most modes) ODC is digital-organic :lol: smooth, pleasant to the ear, clean but yet not harsh. Both sounds beautiful tested to each other or mixed with each other.

If someone is interested I tested the cpu consumption against ValhallaDelay and SandmanPro.
I ran 4 instance with different settings and algos in row. I used Live Operator with only a sine as generator.

ValhallaDelay is the easiest one on the cpu then ODC, SandmanPro is the worst and use twice as much as ODC while ODC is slightly above ValhallaDelay in terms of cpu consumption.
Last edited by Autobot on Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rabbit in a hole

:hyper:

The Algos are good; yet I am missing the Digital Organic smoothness, at least in some of the Presets. Just did a very Quick Test though and this Thing looks very promising, no matter what.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Return to “Effects”