Massive X 1.4 update!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive X Quarantine - Massive X Presets

chk071 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:38 am Yeah. Maybe there's a difference between the Windows and Mac OS versions in size (maybe Massive X on Mac OS carries 1 gig of compatibility framework stuff for Rosetta? :lol:).

NA_Massive_X.png
You are probably right. Massive X 1.3.3 on my Intel iMac Mojave it is still 1 gig. So the overhead must be ~800 mb.

chk071 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:38 am (maybe Massive X on Mac OS carries 1 gig of compatibility framework stuff for Rosetta? :lol:).
No it carries an extra 1 gig so that you have to spend a gajillion bucks on a bigger drive when you order a new Mac :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

FotoxBr wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:46 am
chk071 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:38 am Yeah. Maybe there's a difference between the Windows and Mac OS versions in size (maybe Massive X on Mac OS carries 1 gig of compatibility framework stuff for Rosetta? :lol:).

NA_Massive_X.png
You are probably right. Massive X 1.3.3 on my Intel iMac Mojave it is still 1 gig. So the overhead must be ~800 mb.
Interesting. I would have thought at least the installer, and installed files are the same size, regardless of whether you run a M1 or an Intel Mac.

Universal binaries on macOS contain both versions (x86_64, arm64) so it's normal that it's bigger.

I assume it's mostly Qt and other dependencies + maybe some duplicated resources.

spacepluk wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:32 am Universal binaries on macOS contain both versions (x86_64, arm64) so it's normal that it's bigger.

I assume it's mostly Qt and other dependencies + maybe some duplicated resources.
Right. But this is not a universal binary as far as I know. It needs Rosetta 2 to run. AU says (X64).
Last edited by FotoxBr on Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spacepluk wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:32 am Universal binaries on macOS contain both versions (x86_64, arm64) so it's normal that it's bigger.

Makes sense. :tu:

chk071 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:07 pm

Makes sense. :tu:
Only when NI hides that the arm version is already in there somehow.

iirc Rosetta converts the binaries. Maybe it's pre-converted? I have no idea if that's a thing.

Just a heads up, don't update Live to the newest version (11.0.10) if you want to use MX. You'll get a black screen where the UI is supposed to be. NI is aware of the problem and they will fix it when they feel like it it seems.

Azbest wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:21 pm Just a heads up, don't update Live to the newest version (11.0.10) if you want to use MX. You'll get a black screen where the UI is supposed to be. NI is aware of the problem and they will fix it when they feel like it it seems.
Oh shit I saw the warning but Live updated itself anyway because I forgot to uncheck auto update. I guess if this was introduced in a Live update though it's probably down to Ableton to fix it (which may be a good thing) - doesn't seem to affect other NI plugins.

Azbest wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:21 pm NI is aware of the problem and they will fix it when they feel like it it seems.
"The good news is, we have a fix for the bug and aim to release a hotfix early next week."

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... 10.460761/

Well, it is "early next week" already, so anytime now I guess.

spacepluk wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:51 pm iirc Rosetta converts the binaries. Maybe it's pre-converted? I have no idea if that's a thing.
no.
There's also no conversion on the disk space going on.
Rosetta is a realtime emulation layer, you don't have double of everything on your drive.

FotoxBr wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:18 am This worked for me on M1.
Download and install the current 1.3.2 demo.
Update to 1.3.3 via NA. Use Update all button.

Edit: Sorry. Already posted before by Jules :D

Single instance on Mac mini M1 16 gig , 20-35% cpu in Ableton Live on most factory patches. 15-20% idle.
that's f**king insane, why would anyone bother using this?

I was eying it because i'm itching for some new toys, but f**k that :lol:

Ploki wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:59 pm
FotoxBr wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:18 am This worked for me on M1.
Download and install the current 1.3.2 demo.
Update to 1.3.3 via NA. Use Update all button.

Edit: Sorry. Already posted before by Jules :D

Single instance on Mac mini M1 16 gig , 20-35% cpu in Ableton Live on most factory patches. 15-20% idle.
that's f**king insane, why would anyone bother using this?

I was eying it because i'm itching for some new toys, but f**k that :lol:
There is still an unsolved GUI issue with Massive X in the latest versions of Ableton Live. Only solution is to downgrade AL :-(

You can find more info in this thread and in their community forum.
Last edited by FotoxBr on Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”