2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:50 pm
pekbro wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:42 pm
elxsound wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:01 pm
pekbro wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:32 pm I can say that IMO, the Microcosm is very good. It's putting a damper on pretty much everything I have used so far that covers granular or similar sonic territory. If you are after that epic ethereal sound, it's worth a look.

I’m definitely glad you like Microcosm… but I’m the lone one who didn’t like it (except for the lush verb).

I was more looking at Bam because of that classic reverb sound along with some optional analog saturation. My only hesitation is a result of knowing that Bim and Boum will likely follow the purchase. :scared:
Yeah, I should have guessed you already tried the microcosm :lol: I recall I didn't ask about it here
before impulse buying it. Anyway, I like the design of it I guess, for me it work well and saves a lot
of time while sounding great. I don't like the single stereo input though, imo that's a bit weak.

As for reverb, I am still mulling on that one. I like the OTO Machines stuff for sure, but Big Skye
is tempting to me as well. I'm not sure I could get by with just one reverb in the end also I use
the Zoia verbs constantly. *shrug
Two I’m considering, at the ambient end of things, are Meris Mercury 7 and EarthQuaker Afterneath. They’re a couple of hundred quid range each so not quite Strymon level, but probably not as many different algos.
I love my Meris Mercury 7. The only thing I don't like about it is the autoswell (it lets in some unwanted transients). My favorite setting is the plate, but obviously, it goes huge too in a different way than Microcosm. Microcosm's lush verb is almost (for me) worth the price of admission.

I want EarthQuaker Afterneath too though. It a strange but musical verb. I need to cross off some other hardware reverb needs first, but its on a shortlist.

In the meantime I’ve been demoing a software ‘verb, the Neunaber Wet which is a plugin take on their Immerse pedals and for $50 it’s pretty damned good
https://neunaber.net/pages/software-downloads

Also on the software front, bought the new delay from Audio Damage, lots of fun sticking hardware synths through it
https://youtu.be/eX4LPBi5Zd4

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Well, I got my ties to explore with (even though my current patch only uses 4 cables).

I just pre-ordered the Positive Grid Spark (Pearl). The color makes a difference... I finally have a place for one of these (missus approved space) and the white (as long as I can keep it this color) will help!

Thanks, Justin3am for your help! This one should be fun to work with and fits what I could justify paying for my mediocre guitar skills. :hihi:

I have one open mono input on my interface that is just begging to be used and I found a good deal on a Moog Minitaur, but I've also been tempted by the Roland SE-02.... :help:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Neat, I never did like the Positive Grid stuff myself, for some reason. I only wish I had waited for the lineout to be included in the Yamaha THR before I bought it. I am definitely leaning towards the Strymon Iridium for guitar stuff. *shrug

cryophonik wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:52 pm I have one open mono input on my interface that is just begging to be used and I found a good deal on a Moog Minitaur, but I've also been tempted by the Roland SE-02.... :help:
I'm always recommending the SE-02, but I've never used the Moog Minitaur. Comparing price alone, you could get the SE-02 and the EXT BOX, with extra to spare on other gear. There's definitely a giant disparity between features, so I'm assuming sound is your biggest determinant in choosing which one?

Hopefully, someone else with more familiarity with Moog gear can chime in.

pekbro wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:51 am Neat, I never did like the Positive Grid stuff myself, for some reason. I only wish I had waited for the lineout to be included in the Yamaha THR before I bought it. I am definitely leaning towards the Strymon Iridium for guitar stuff. *shrug
It's funny, I won't install the Positive Grid stuff, mostly because of all the complaints I've read about bugs with their plugins. With that said, I don't mind an all-inclusive box! I haven't seen any issues with the Spark, so I'm thinking this will work.

Just binkled through some of Molten Music's latest YT video, and he was talking about the Hector. Now, I probably dont need yet another modular module thingy in my modular, but on looking at the spec it did twiddle my interest that the Hector does convolution. Im not aware of many other convolvers in Eurorack, so this immediately made me start wondering, damnit....
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:04 am Just binkled through some of Molten Music's latest YT video, and he was talking about the Hector. Now, I probably dont need yet another modular module thingy in my modular, but on looking at the spec it did twiddle my interest that the Hector does convolution. Im not aware of many other convolvers in Eurorack, so this immediately made me start wondering, damnit....
I stumbled on a more expensive option (because everyone loves paying more)… ECR-1 Convolution Reverb Processor

I’m obviously still new to this, but it’s the only other one I’ve come across.

I love the stock 480 IRs on Beebo (same software) and I’ve finally gotten to the point that I’m ready to start adding in my own IR favorites. :borg:

elxsound wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:59 amI stumbled on a more expensive option (because everyone loves paying more)… ECR-1 Convolution Reverb Processor

Yeah, I saw that one, but the spec says 12-bit ADC/DAC, which I found a bit surprising. Over here the ECR-1 seems -slightly- cheaper, and obviously the Hector is a bit wider, but far more flexible.

Bastards.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:16 pm In the meantime I’ve been demoing a software ‘verb, the Neunaber Wet which is a plugin take on their Immerse pedals and for $50 it’s pretty damned good
https://neunaber.net/pages/software-downloads
Kinda tempted by their Illumine pedal... Not to mention the Strandberg headless guitars from the video :lol:

Empress Effects Zoia Euroburo available for purchase at 10am Eastern apparently. :tu:

elxsound wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:53 am
cryophonik wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:52 pm I have one open mono input on my interface that is just begging to be used and I found a good deal on a Moog Minitaur, but I've also been tempted by the Roland SE-02.... :help:
I'm always recommending the SE-02, but I've never used the Moog Minitaur. Comparing price alone, you could get the SE-02 and the EXT BOX, with extra to spare on other gear. There's definitely a giant disparity between features, so I'm assuming sound is your biggest determinant in choosing which one?
Yeah, sound and form factor. I’ve owned several different Moogs and currently have a Slim Phatty, but the Minitaur has me drooling a bit lately for a dedicated bass machine. Cost isn’t really a factor, but that said, the deal I can get on a Minitaur right now is actually quite a bit cheaper than an SE-02. The problem now is that I started watching vids on the Arturia Minibrute 2S and now that’s piqued my interest, too :dog:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:36 am Yeah, sound and form factor. I’ve owned several different Moogs and currently have a Slim Phatty, but the Minitaur has me drooling a bit lately for a dedicated bass machine. Cost isn’t really a factor, but that said, the deal I can get on a Minitaur right now is actually quite a bit cheaper than an SE-02. The problem now is that I started watching vids on the Arturia Minibrute 2S and now that’s piqued my interest, too :dog:
They're both great. The SE-02 can do much, much more but the Minitaur sounds absolutely massive. IMO, the Minitaur is a lot better sounding than most of the synths Moog is making now.

Jomox Mbase and Korg Volca Kick are cool bass synths, as well.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:04 pm
elxsound wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:59 amI stumbled on a more expensive option (because everyone loves paying more)… ECR-1 Convolution Reverb Processor

Yeah, I saw that one, but the spec says 12-bit ADC/DAC, which I found a bit surprising. Over here the ECR-1 seems -slightly- cheaper, and obviously the Hector is a bit wider, but far more flexible.

Bastards.
You might want to take a look at the Modwiggler thread on Tasty Chips ECR-1: https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=250

Basically the original ECR-1 has severe design flaws (noisy interference with display, non-user-upgradable firmware) and have passed on cost of rectifying this to users. After a few pages of trying to sell the improved version to disappointed customers, Tasty Chips representative leaves in a huff citing 'negativity'.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”