Phuturetone GR-8

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GR-8

KIMCHRISTOPHER wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:57 pm Hi Sasha, first of all, this plugin captured my heart right away! With all the fixes it was amazing! I have a request if possible, otherwise, it's fine! If you heard a popup, or a slider to choose the options of the arpeggiator module and the Legato/chord instead of the click\drag of the mouse, it would be very interesting to better visualize the existing options!! It's a simple thing but it affects the workflow a lot. Thanks, man for the excellent synthesizer!
Thanks, Kim, I think I should be able to change those controls to drop-down menus. Cheers!

Phuturetone wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:16 pm
KIMCHRISTOPHER wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:57 pm Hi Sasha, first of all, this plugin captured my heart right away! With all the fixes it was amazing! I have a request if possible, otherwise, it's fine! If you heard a popup, or a slider to choose the options of the arpeggiator module and the Legato/chord instead of the click\drag of the mouse, it would be very interesting to better visualize the existing options!! It's a simple thing but it affects the workflow a lot. Thanks, man for the excellent synthesizer!
Thanks, Kim, I think I should be able to change those controls to drop-down menus. Cheers!
I thank you for the care you are taking with our opinions! Cheers!!

Phuturetone wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:10 pm
Erisian wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:01 pm I was thinking maybe Mac users could use it to host the vst3. Is that not possible?
From the description on the page, I get that it used to wrap Mac VST3 as Audio Unit. It can't wrap PC VST3 as Mac VST3.
Ah, my mistake. I didn't realize there were VST3s specifically for Mac.

GR-8 is really capable of some great sounds. The Mono and Poly modes are really useful for Synthwave.

Much of the character of the sound is due to the effects. That's OK, though this kind of limits the utility of the synth in situations where you want a more dry sound. The reverb and delay are very good. The EQ is surprisingly handy, considering the basic controls - it almost reminds me of Serum or Vital's multiband compressor, in terms its ability to make the sound much more powerful. The Chorus is weak - if you apply it to 'Lead 80s', its effect is only noticeable on more extreme settings. Would be great to see a Chorus that can really widen and thicken the sound.

It appears that the heavy CPU usage occurs in Unison or Chord mode. I'm finding CPU use to be 1/3 to 2/3 lower in Mono or Poly mode.

Keep improving the synth. You're on to something very promising here.

Thanks, Anadroid!

I'm glad that you like the plugin.

Yes, I assume the chorus range is limited compared to the majority of software solutions. It seemed logical to me to make it like that – so it doesn't mess with the low frequencies, and to sound more like a stereo widening effect than a sound coloring effect. I think it is too late for changing the chorus.

I'm working on the 1.1 version, should be out soon.

Cheers!

I get really weird behaviour with my Roli Blocks, both Lightpad and Seaboard. When I hit a key, it moves the Cutoff knob, depending on pitch. Even in "Piano" mode, which switches off everything but velocity, it still does it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:02 am I get really weird behaviour with my Roli Blocks, both Lightpad and Seaboard. When I hit a key, it moves the Cutoff knob, depending on pitch. Even in "Piano" mode, which switches off everything but velocity, it still does it.
Have you tried to right-click on the Cutoff knob and select Unlearn, so it clears its MIDI assignment? It may be that you accidentally assigned the keyboard keys to the Cutoff.

excellent plug!

Phuturetone wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:34 amHave you tried to right-click on the Cutoff knob and select Unlearn, so it clears its MIDI assignment? It may be that you accidentally assigned the keyboard keys to the Cutoff.
I've never used MIDI learn in my life, so I'd never have thought to check. Will do tonight.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

:party: :party: :party: GR-8 has been chosen for this month's One-Synth-Challenge: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=569994

Phuturetone wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:34 amHave you tried to right-click on the Cutoff knob and select Unlearn, so it clears its MIDI assignment? It may be that you accidentally assigned the keyboard keys to the Cutoff.
That seems to have done the trick. I must have assigned it by accident or something.

I have realised that the MIDI Learn assignment is built into the patch. Whenever I use the first patch, ARP Analogue, I get the same behaviour.

Probably the one who designed them had assigned midi learn behavior which was saved with the preset and passes to every one using the patch which leads to happy accidents or not :D

I've assigned XMOD to my midi controller and saw that it was affecting ENV1 attack as well so I guess we have to be a bit careful or maybe the synth needs a command like “Unlearn All Midi Assignments”.

Plus I am having another problem. The synth is locked on to Mono and no matter what I do it will not go to Poly mode (the Poly button lights up but still no way to play chords as the next note chokes the previous one, which is essentially mono behavior). My DAW is Reaper, anyone else has this problem or maybe I am doing something completely wrong?

BONES wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:36 am I have realised that the MIDI Learn assignment is built into the patch. Whenever I use the first patch, ARP Analogue, I get the same behaviour.
Hey Bones,

All the factory presets have Filter Cutoff assigned to CC 74. Do you have the same problem with other presets? If yes, then I assume your keyboard is somehow sending CC 74 to the plugin. If the problem is only on one patch, try to Unlearn the MIDI assignment for Filter Cutoff and overwrite the preset. Or try reinstalling the factory presets.

Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Sasha

phankiejankie303 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:01 am I've assigned XMOD to my midi controller and saw that it was affecting ENV1 attack as well so I guess we have to be a bit careful or maybe the synth needs a command like “Unlearn All Midi Assignments”.
I can't really remember how MIDI assignments worked in the past, but I think that when you assigned a CC number to a control it automatically unassigned the other control with the same CC number. Agree, “Unlearn All Midi Assignments” would be a great option.
phankiejankie303 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:01 am Plus I am having another problem. The synth is locked on to Mono and no matter what I do it will not go to Poly mode (the Poly button lights up but still no way to play chords as the next note chokes the previous one, which is essentially mono behavior). My DAW is Reaper, anyone else has this problem or maybe I am doing something completely wrong?
Make sure that the Arpeggiator is switched OFF. It plays a chord one note at a time even in the Polyphonic mode. If you play short chords and the Arp is playing at a slower rate you may not be able to hear the 2nd note in the sequence, so it will sound monophonic. Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”