2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kcearl wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:29 pm Image
Nice rack! I take it you're pretty happy with those KT vintage clones?

imrae wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:28 am
kcearl wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:29 pm Image
Nice rack! I take it you're pretty happy with those KT vintage clones?
No idea how accurate they are but yes very happy, they all do a good job

Bought an Elektron Model:Samples for fun, as it was on sale and relatively cheap. Good for when I want to go much smaller and less complicated than my R8 or Isla S2400, which is often. I actually stack stuff on top of the R8 as it's friggen huge.

Uncle E wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:48 am
cryophonik wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:36 am Yeah, sound and form factor. I’ve owned several different Moogs and currently have a Slim Phatty, but the Minitaur has me drooling a bit lately for a dedicated bass machine. Cost isn’t really a factor, but that said, the deal I can get on a Minitaur right now is actually quite a bit cheaper than an SE-02. The problem now is that I started watching vids on the Arturia Minibrute 2S and now that’s piqued my interest, too :dog:
They're both great. The SE-02 can do much, much more but the Minitaur sounds absolutely massive. IMO, the Minitaur is a lot better sounding than most of the synths Moog is making now.

Jomox Mbase and Korg Volca Kick are cool bass synths, as well.
I ended up buying the Minitaur! The price (and sound) was too good to pass up. The editor/plug-in is very nicely implemented, so that was a nice little bonus.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Anyone ever purchase from Sound Gas? https://soundgas.com/

Really struggled with my desire to get two of these, because... knobs. :borg:

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 16-36-50 Behringer 914 Fixed Filter Bank Eurorack Module.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:39 pm Really struggled with my desire to get two of these, because... knobs. :borg:

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 16-36-50 Behringer 914 Fixed Filter Bank Eurorack Module.png
Well, don’t you NEED two, so you can have stereo? I don’t know if what I read was true, but it said the dual inputs were summed to mono.

I’m getting a Bam.

I’m pretty sure a Bim will follow at some point, but I’m pretty excited for this one.

elxsound wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:30 pm I’m getting a Bam.

I’m pretty sure a Bim will follow at some point, but I’m pretty excited for this one.
Alright! nice, I still need to be able to talk myself into spending $600 on a reverb for that one. :tu:
One problem is that I have so many Reverb plugins, and it's not so difficult to pass outboard through
them. Both my pedals do other stuff besides reverb which I seem to find handy. Not to mention
a lot of built in HW Reverbs, some of which are pretty good imo, the Sequential stuff for instance. :shrug: *Still it's probably just a matter of time 4 me :lol:

Looking forward to some impressions from u :)

pekbro wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:15 pm
elxsound wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:30 pm I’m getting a Bam.

Alright! nice, I still need to be able to talk myself into spending $600 on a reverb for that one. :tu:
One problem is that I have so many Reverb plugins, and it's not so difficult to pass outboard through
them. Both my pedals do other stuff besides reverb which I seem to find handy. Not to mention
a lot of built in HW Reverbs, some of which are pretty good imo, the Sequential stuff for instance. :shrug: *Still it's probably just a matter of time 4 me :lol:

Looking forward to some impressions from u :)
Trust me it wasn’t an easy conversation that I had with myself, but I eventually won the argument for getting it!

I’ve got lots of plug-in choices, but for hardware it comes down to just Beebo and Mercury7. Aside from the IRs in Beebo, IR plug-ins and Valhalla... I actually don’t have this classic reverb type.
I somehow managed to stay away from all the Lexicon stuff but it sounds great with synths (among other things).

Basically it came down to deciding if the IRs in Beebo would be enough but damnit... I want more hands on control (and that was my winning statement to myself).

Let’s see if it holds up when it comes!

elxsound wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:23 pm
Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:39 pm Really struggled with my desire to get two of these, because... knobs. :borg:

Well, don’t you NEED two, so you can have stereo? I don’t know if what I read was true, but it said the dual inputs were summed to mono.
Well... yes, and yes. So I just ordered a second one. :D 8)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

elxsound wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:54 pm I’ve got lots of plug-in choices, but for hardware it comes down to just Beebo and Mercury7. Aside from the IRs in Beebo, IR plug-ins and Valhalla... I actually don’t have this classic reverb type.
I somehow managed to stay away from all the Lexicon stuff but it sounds great with synths (among other things).
I can send you my Lexicon 240 IR’s if you want them.

Uncle E wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:16 pm
elxsound wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:54 pm I’ve got lots of plug-in choices, but for hardware it comes down to just Beebo and Mercury7. Aside from the IRs in Beebo, IR plug-ins and Valhalla... I actually don’t have this classic reverb type.
I can send you my Lexicon 240 IR’s if you want them.
I'm definitely interested... On Beebo I have the 480L, 300, and PCM. I won't pretend to know the models and the respective differences. I seriously have purposefully remained ignorant, but I can't do that anymore because I like the sound.

I have the same ones from P2F, but they don't hold up as well as the ones on Beebo. I have not dug in more to see if Poly Effects licensed them (which is what I'd expect), but they sound good. The P2F ones need an EQ placed before each one to avoid some unwanted boomy-ness. I seriously can't play an open low E with their IR's (and no EQ).

Shabdahbriah wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:43 pm
elxsound wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:23 pm

Well... yes, and yes. So I just ordered a second one. :D 8)
Sounds like you're gonna be in knob heaven. :hihi:

Straw poll time. Just got a Samson self assembly rack delivered that I bought through Amazon, but apparently fulfilled by Bax Music.
Just noticed there's a bent part at the top of one of the sides that means unless bent back somehow the top of the rack won't be able to fit on top.
I am so unhandy that I don't even currently own a pair of pliers to attempt bending it back even if pliers would work, but I guess the straw poll question is - if I do get some pliers do you think I'd be able to bend this back sufficiently for this to be OK without impacting integrity? The metal's far too thick to do this without toolage.
bent rack detail - small.png
I'm pretty sure the bent part doesn't affect the alignment of the nearby screw-hole so I should be able to screw it in ok provided the top can actually fit over the (currently convex) bit of metal.
I hate sending things back because of the turnaround time, especially with all the Brexit fun we've been having, and just want a functional rack for my units I don't care if it looks perfect or not. But, if it's never going to work then I guess I'll have to. Also, anyone had dealings with Amazon/Bax on this - would they accept sending back just the affected part or would I have to send back everything? - it's a heavy package.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”