The linux DAW thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
KVRAF
8272 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:43 am

BONES wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:50 pm
Nothing that makes a difference has changed because, as I said, Linux itself was never the issue. Linux could be measurably better than Windows in a thousand ways but it still wouldn't matter if I couldn't use my Roli Blocks and all those things in my signature with it. Those things matter to me, which OS I use does not. And it shouldn't matter to anyone else who is more interested in making music than in tinkering with computers.
There you go again, you lead with a brain-dead assertion, from years or decades old experiences, followed by insistance that buying your (tiny subset of ) gear is the basis for transitioning from a tinkerer, to a music maker. :dog:
Roli? They've been circling the drain for years...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ROLI/comments/ ... _business/
My instrumental music is now on Spotify and the other streaming sites that Distrokid supplies, search Franklin Cheney, the song titles and cover art might offer a content clue, peace, energy, romantic, fun etc
Cheers

GRRRRRRR!
12585 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:50 pm

No, it's you who has the blinkers firmly attached. My experience is just one example that I'd suggest is more typical of others. The fact that I have asked over and over why I would want to switch to Linux and no-one has come up with even the most inconsequential reason tends to suggest that there is no good reason. Would it mean our next album would sound any better? No. Would it allow me to get my work done more efficiently or faster? No. Would it open up any possibilities or opportunities not currently available to me? No, quite the opposite, it would close off almost all those possiiblities. So why? It's the simplest question, that you continue to avoid.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

Banned
393 posts since 13 Jul, 2021

Post Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:48 am

I'm switching to Linux only this fall. Running OpenSUSE + Geekos DAW. I am using Bitwig as my DAW and U-He plugins. Also adding Keyscape, Omni and Trilian. I really don't need anymore than that as far as 3rd party VSTis go.

KVRAF
3089 posts since 19 Apr, 2002 from Utah

Post Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:26 pm

Audio Damage has released a new granular delay VST called "Other Desert Cities"!!

https://www.audiodamage.com/products/ad ... ert-cities

It's on sale right now for $59 instead of $79.

Other Desert Cities, named after a famous sign on the I-10 highway leaving Los Angeles, is a workshop for creativity. As its namesake implies, there are many strange and wonderful things lurking inside. With six algorithms, each with its own unique personality, and extensive modulation capabilities, Other Desert Cities can fill multiple niches, from basic stereo dual delays to never-before-heard granular pitch-shifting chaos.

Algorithms:

01 - Desert Shores Stereo Delay. This is a standard dual delay, with basic EQ, saturation, crossfeed, and spread.

02 - Mecca Reverse Delay. A normal dual delay, except the repeats play backwards.

03 - Cactus Dual-Delta Delay. This is more like a pair of tape delays in use, with individual speed controls and pitch quantizing.

04 - Thermal Mullti-Tap Delay. A dual multi-tap, with spread, crossfeed, and basic EQ.

05 - Mirage Multi-Head Delay. Imagine if you had a tape delay, but the head was like the rotating head in a VCR. Experimental, strange, and wonderful.

06 - Sky Valley Granular Delay. A pitch-shifting granular delay, with control over grain size and scatter, and with EQ.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

KVRian
921 posts since 6 Jun, 2016 from San Marcos, Texas

Post Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:05 pm

BONES wrote:
This is quite different from what occurs with Linux--and I speak of Linux here loosely in a greater ecosystem sense:
a) Radical change is somewhat rare and even more rare does it occur swiftly
I see that as a big negative - too much Linux development is glacial. Look how long it took Blender to get to a point where it became a proper alternative to commercial 3D software. It always had the tools, it just couldn't compete on usability until quite recently. And I was using Window Maker in 2002, when it was on version 0.7x and now, 19 years later, it still hasn't made it to version 1.0.
I agree, in so much as I'd like to see certain things develop faster. Yet, I also believe this aspect pays off in other ways. Not least is a longer view of things [hopefully].
BONES wrote:
b) When significant changes do occur, the decision making process is belabored in a different way--dare I say with greater wisdom, in favor of the users--as the commercial impetus/push is largely absent
Again, this is a problem. If Microsoft don't do what's best for their users, they go out of business. Keeping users happy is life or death to them.
c) The reasoning behind changes in Linux are generally not frivolous. i.e. their isn't a marketing plan driving design goals
Again, marketing plans aren't "frivolous", thousands of people's livelyhoods depends on them getting it all just right.
What makes you think I'm saying marketing plans, in and of them self, are frivolous? Rather, could it be I'm pointing out a usual characteristic of marketing plans? i.e. they chase market trends?
Personally, I don't believe great wisdom lays in fads and trends. That's not to say I don't believe trends are necessary and useful; I just prefer not be caught in the throes of them, especially with my electronics.
BONES wrote:
MS and Apple are the diametric opposite here--and they clearly don't care about alienating their customers by virtue of it.
That is absolute rubbish. Ms and Apple could not be more different. Backwards-compatibility is fundamental to Windows and anathema to Apple. Look what happened to Windows when they screwed around with drivers for Vista - it was an absolute disaster. OTOH, every time Apple screws its users over, the users thank them for it and defend Apple's actions to the hilt.
It's their imperial attitude I liken and criticize. It's nothing to do with things they even produce in the end. It's their attitude and intentions that matter to me.
BONES wrote:
Instead of asking you the user what you'd like to see in Windows 11
As a Windows Insider, I get asked for feedback all the time. But I am just one voice in more than a million Insiders so they don't do anything just because I want it. Why would they? They do what the herd wants. Linux is no different, it's just a smaller, nerdier herd.
they're busy pushing more dystopic tech, which of course spies on you, etc.
That's an excellent point - they collect billions of keystrokes, they know how we use our computers, they are focused on our needs. There are no special interest groups having more say, it's clinical and it caters to what we actually do, not what we think we might want. It's a really good thing.
You know, I used to be an MCSE--still am--and I've received their emails for over a decade now. I seriously can't recall a single instance where they polled/asked us anything regarding future design or plans. Of course, I've not run Windows since 7 ... Is the feedback system you're talking about built into Windows now days?

Anyway, my big question to you is: Do you believe Microsoft has your best interests at heart? The reason I ask is because you sound like you trust them, quite a bit.
BONES wrote:
While also trying to further conquer the marketplace, by consolidation and infiltration. Just look at all the co-opting of Linux groups/distros and publications lately. Just look at those they already control by proxy, like Suse and Red Hat ... It's sad.
Why is it sad? Why would anyone who doesn't get around with a tin-foil skull-cap on care?
I care because I rely on and benefit from Linux, big time. I also believe in the principals of FOSS and realize that's what led to Linux in the first place. Plus a bunch of other reasons ... Why though do you believe that only TFHs would care? :ud:

Also, tell me if you don't mind: Do you think it's good that Linux is being co-opted and infiltrated by big tech? Is this at all worrisome to you?

KVRAF

Post Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:15 pm

Caught my dog sharpening it's fangs on my tin foil hat,
darn near ruined it :x mutt :x ...but with some folding, some duct tape, and a little yankee ingenuity, the tingle is
ba bah buh buhhh BAAAAaaack :hihi:
A little Reaktor, a little Kontakt, a recycled dinosaur, and a record button. What more could a roli reject ask for? Oh, a little ColorCopy just to keep from falling asleep from the mesmeriztion waves beaming around the hat :hyper:
And somehow, Studio One never even crossed my mind, as I challenged Jordan Rudess, for king-of-the-keys.

(yeah, right, in my dreams, still need years more practice, and a far higher grade tinfoil, for that! :dog: )

TinFoilHatBrigade.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My instrumental music is now on Spotify and the other streaming sites that Distrokid supplies, search Franklin Cheney, the song titles and cover art might offer a content clue, peace, energy, romantic, fun etc
Cheers

GRRRRRRR!
12585 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:31 pm

Urgh! That's ugly. I hate floating bloody windows. I run pretty much every application window full-screen, all the time. Except maybe Notepad and Calculator. Can you consolidate those instrument windows to tabs? Did you dress it up with the horrid Windows 7 look for me? I hate the way Win7 looks, I always installed the near borderless Zune theme.

lunardigs wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:05 pm
What makes you think I'm saying marketing plans, in and of them self, are frivolous? Rather, could it be I'm pointing out a characteristic of marketing plans? i.e. they chase market trends?
You're missing my point. "Chasing market trends" means the same thing as "doing what users want". The problem with doing that the way it's done with Linux is that you are responding to the vocal minority who love to complain. OTOH, the way Microosoft does it includes everyone who opts to have their keystrokes logged so, I think, is far less prone to getting it wrong. You coudl see this with the way users responded to Windows 8 - it very clearly wasn't what they thought they wanted, even though the data very clearly showed that it was. There was definitely some clunkiness in the roll-out - they should never have removed the Start button, which only happened in the last beta before release - but Win8 got so much right that it should have been forgiven that one misstep.
Personally, I don't believe great wisdom lays in fads and trends.
I agree completely but it is exactly what you get when your development is user-driven. Microsoft learned this at great expense with Windows 8 - you have to give users what they want, not what they need.
It's their imperial attitude I liken and criticize.
The correct word is "imperious" and how do you think that applies to Microsoft?
You know, I used to be an MCSE--still am--and I've received their emails for over a decade now. I seriously can't recall a single instance where they polled/asked us anything regarding future design or plans. Of course, I've not run Windows since 7 ... Is the feedback system you're talking about built into Windows now days?
Yes, it's an app that ships with every Windows install and they actively encourage you to use it, with pop-ups asking you to give feedback every now and then - "do you like this app?, "how could we improve the experience for you?". I'm sure it annoys the hell out of some people but I like that they are proactive about feedback. Insiders also have access to different forums to provide feedback and discuss various issues and features.
Do you believe Microsoft has your best interests at heart? The reason I ask is because you sound like you trust them, quite a bit.
Quite the opposite, they have f**ked me over several times and they'll do it again with Windows 11. But I get why they do it, they have a business to run, billions of users to keep happy. Any product development that is user-driven will always end up screwing people like me, an atypical user, over. That's why I hate Reaper - it's got every dumb feature every idiot ever asked for. But my Linux experience has been no better at all. There is not a single thing I see in Linux that I think is better than what I have now. Not one, teeny-weeny little thing.
I care because I rely on and benefit from Linux, big time.
How?
Why though do you believe that only TFHs would care? :ud:
Because it doesn't matter. it's irrelevant. One of the big problems with Linux 20 years ago was fragmentation - there were so many different distros, RPM or Debian?, GNOME or KDE? - there was no focus. Survival of the fittest is a good thing so if some of the slow running distros get gobbled up, you have to think that's good for the survivors, don't you?
Also, tell me if you don't mind: Do you think it's good that Linux is being co-opted and infiltrated by big tech? Is this at all worrisome to you?
No, why would it be? Unless you think having a BASH shell in Windows 10 is a terrible thing for Linux? I used to think open source was a great thing but 25 years later I can only see one example of where it has worked out - Blender. Everywhere else it has mostly just been a disappointment.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:20 pm

I like the uglies, no accounting for taste :oops: and I like the Super 8, and the Replika. Ohhh, the suffering, geeeee, if only I had Studio One, and a roli t-shirt, I could make some tunes,

Super8-Replika-playin-in-da-uglies.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers

KVRAF

Post Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:17 pm

[ANN] Onsen Audio OS-251, a FREE Juno-style Lo-Fi Synthesizer plugin (GPL 3)

Article about the plugin:

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2021/08/on ... lugin.html

Plugin site:

https://onsenaudio.com/products/os251

Binaries:

https://github.com/utokusa/OS-251/releases/tag/v1.0.1

GPL 3.0 Source

https://github.com/utokusa/OS-251
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

KVRian
921 posts since 6 Jun, 2016 from San Marcos, Texas

Post Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:43 pm

@BONES, I think I see your general perspective; it appears you're very pragmatic. Whereas, somewhat countervailing, my attitude is more idealistic. To me neither is inherently good or bad, strictly speaking. Although I think both are necessary for good balance ... Nonetheless, I mostly see your points.
BONES wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:31 pm
I care because I rely on and benefit from Linux, big time.
How?
What are you asking exactly? Are you asking 'how I care,' or 'how I benefit'? In either case, wouldn't it be obvious?
BONES wrote:
Why though do you believe that only TFHs would care? :ud:
Because it doesn't matter. it's irrelevant. One of the big problems with Linux 20 years ago was fragmentation - there were so many different distros, RPM or Debian?, GNOME or KDE? - there was no focus. Survival of the fittest is a good thing so if some of the slow running distros get gobbled up, you have to think that's good for the survivors, don't you?
I sure do; that is why MS, Apple, IBM, Google, etc. have invested so much in Linux and FOSS--and I'm not talking about their chicanery, I'm talking public sponsorship and code contributions. I'd say it's quite a testament to the viability of FOSS, hardly the opposite. Wouldn't you?

Furthermore, who would have guessed some decades ago, FOSS would be the predominate software developed on Earth? Who would've guessed ~30 years ago that Microsoft would one day buy Github?
In fact, I'd say FOSS has resoundingly won in so many ways. Surely for one, the web isn't predominately running on MS servers. It never did AFAIK.
TFHs and paranoia didn't make all this happen; it was chiefly an evolution, which apparently sits upon a strong pragmatic & idealistic base.
BONES wrote:
No, why would it be? Unless you think having a BASH shell in Windows 10 is a terrible thing for Linux? I used to think open source was a great thing but 25 years later I can only see one example of where it has worked out - Blender. Everywhere else it has mostly just been a disappointment.
Hah, c'mon. The world of FOSS is ENORMOUS! Are you serious?
Btw, I love Blender. Truly amazing ... Although, we should also be aware ( https://fund.blender.org/ ); Blender has been targeted for assimilation as well.
The good news though, if it goes borg, anyone on Earth can fork it. That's one of the beautiful things about FOSS.

KVRAF

Post Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:14 pm

https://distrowatch.com/

Enough tinfoil there to wrap the Eiffel Tower beam by beam, and drape it in a tinfoil coat for when it snows.

There are many hobbyist and enthusiast musicians using the top 100 linux distros, enjoying their unique capabilities and freedoms. A working musician typically uses either the billionaire's top few windows versions, or apple's well funded and skinned BSDs, and must meet the competition head-on, in their particular arenas, be they cover bands, headliners, recording studios, educators, songwriter bands, or solo acts. The myriad choices can liberate or enslave, and personal happiness is a good indicator of smart choices.
Cheers :hyper:
Cheers

KVRian
661 posts since 11 May, 2014

Post Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:56 am

Seems Linux audio is in a great spot these days. I see that Kontakt is working through Yabridge but have people gotten sample libraries working? I would just toss them into the market place if they could be sold but sadly they can't be.

KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:38 pm

I have quite a few 3rd party libraries working, free and commercial, and the extras from Komplete 12 are working,
as is Noire. I think NI probably run a pretty tight ship regarding any new libs they have a say-so in. A lot of the Pianobook libs are in Kontakt format, seem also to work fine.
Cheers
Cheers

KVRian
661 posts since 11 May, 2014

Post Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:46 pm

Awesome, I'm gonna give it a go then. KDE is looking pretty sweet these days.

KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:02 am

ckam03 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:46 pm
Awesome, I'm gonna give it a go then. KDE is looking pretty sweet these days.
If you don't already have Kontakt (Maybe you already do...), there is an incredible trick that is working right now that allows you get it really cheap. You can get Kontact for $124.50 US dollars. :-)

1. You have to buy Embertone's free Arcane sound library.
2. Install Native Access
3. Log onto the Native Instruments website, and go to the Kontakt 6 pricing page and select the 'Crossgrade' option.

Doing this will give you a price of $124.50 Euro. If you are buying in US dollars, you will be offered a price of $124.50.

This method works until September 20th

See the following blog post for more details:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2021/0 ... est-price/

Be sure to read the comments on the post which explains why the US cost comes out to $124.50 instead of $150. :-)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”