Hydrasynth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, I'm a bit concerned here.

Something just happened with my Hydrasynth. I think the preset knob may be broken. It was working one moment, then when I tried to use it again, it only goes up by one preset and then down by one preset. If I turn it clockwise continuously - up one and then down one, so I'm stuck on the same two presets no matter how much i turn it. Same thing in reverse for counter clockwise. If I touch it just occasionally sometimes it will move one forward. Really bizarre. Anyone seen this issue? Should I just reinstall firmware?

edit - in frustration, I just spun it real fast continuously and it seems to work again. that was weird

Razzia wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:08 pm Hey, I'm a bit concerned here.

Something just happened with my Hydrasynth. I think the preset knob may be broken. It was working one moment, then when I tried to use it again, it only goes up by one preset and then down by one preset. If I turn it clockwise continuously - up one and then down one, so I'm stuck on the same two presets no matter how much i turn it. Same thing in reverse for counter clockwise. If I touch it just occasionally sometimes it will move one forward. Really bizarre. Anyone seen this issue? Should I just reinstall firmware?

edit - in frustration, I just spun it real fast continuously and it seems to work again. that was weird
Glad to hear you got it sorted- I guess it may have just been a bit of dirt if it cleared after you spun it (maybe its optical)? The present knob is the only one that has a little bit of movement (the pots are beautiful and solid) so maybe a can of air duster if it happens again!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Razzia wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:08 pm Hey, I'm a bit concerned here.

Just a wild guess, but I have seen similar symptoms on synths with bad rotary encoders. Hopefully it was just a bit of dirt and it is now fixed, but my experience with OLD bad rotary encoders is that cleaning them out with contact cleaner spray doesn't seem likely to work and replacement is the only cure.

EDIT: Possibly sometimes re-seating a ribbon connector plug going to the encoder could help.

Many thanks for your concern and your advice. I will refer back to this if it happens again (hopefully not!). I just bought my Hydra in December, so worst come to worst, at least it’s under warranty. And I believe Vintage King offers an extra year of warranty for free.

Cheers. You guys rock.

HYDRASYNTH 1.5.3 Update notes

Functional changes:
1. There was a problem with the LATCH logic where you could latch notes both
internally and externally creating a MIDI Loop. To prevent a LATCH MIDI loop, when ARP TX = on, MIDI out will send latched notes. Notes received on MIDI in will not be processed with the LATCH logic. When ARP TX = off, MIDI out will not send latched notes, notes on MIDI in will latch notes.
2. Speed up the HYDRASYNTH Keyboard PB/mod wheel MIDI out slew speed.
3. Added more velocity options in system page 3
4. Fixed the unbalanced velocity response of white and black keys.
5. HYDRASYNTH won't respond to MIDI start anymore if the clock sync is internal
6. Added more time resolution to delay time and delay time modulation
7. Changed the Vel Off position in mod src – same parameter as MPE Vel OFF but with a new name.
8. Distort FX preset Drive1 change default Asym value to 0
9. Notes can get stuck on, if you play many other notes quickly with sustain pedal
pressed
10. Makes changing the mutant Shift+Ratio smoother
Bug fixes:
1. With LFO in trigger Single/OFF mode, it is possible to have a delay at the note start if
you play very quickly
2. Pause the Vegas light show if you are calibrating the ribbon.
3. LFO mod to ENV attack may not be on time.
4. Unit sends pitch & mod wheel message during boot up.
5. After save, the browser button was highlighted.
6. Notes messages not in MIDI RX affected the ARP.
7. Category Vocal not showing all vocal presets.
8. If Browser = category sort, and the unit receives a program change message for a
sound which is not in this category, caused problems in the patch list.
9. ARP's first note has a delay with external clock.
10. Playing keyboard with notes coming in on other channels via MIDI RX may cause
hung notes.
11. LFO step 54 lost in patch save.
12. Higher number macro modulating a smaller number macro didn't work.
13. Holding a key and turning ARP = ON, then turn AR= OFF, will cause some note
problems.
14. Mono aftertouch will hold to a value of 7F in cases of MIDI Loop.
15. Voice priority fix when playing a legato mono sound. i.e. play E, D, C, and released C,
it went back to E and should have gone back to D.
16. Fixed High pass filter memory overflow issue that could affect the mod wheel
amount to OSC pitch.
17. Tempo didn't follow the BPM change when BPM sync on
18. The Lofi OUTPUT parameter doesn't work in 1.5.2
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yeah! I really needed the unbalanced velocity correction! Thanks ASM

Nice, I had also noticed the LATCH and sustain pedal stuck notes issues so good to see some fixes there. Being greedy I had hoped we'd see some extra functionality added too like a new filter or osc type, but I can live with it. :)

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Next update :-)

I received my desktop Hydrasynth last week. I bought it for it's versatility and because of the recent MPE implementation (5D), so that I can play it with my Roli seaboard rise.
Setting the MPE mode is easy in System settings. When set to ON, mpe-x=pitch, mpe-y (absolute or relative) responds to cc74 and also lift/note-off velocity can be assigned in the asm's mod matrix.
Downside is that MPE pressure is automatically mapped (fixed) to polyphonic aftertouch, which seems a logical choice, but the two are in fact quite different in playing. MPE pressure starts at the lowest note-on velocity possible, while poly AT effects the sound when a key or pad is pressed harder after a note is played. I temporarily worked around that in midi-ox by remapping the aftertouch data (1-80 to 0 and 81-127 to 1-127). I hope that ASM will have a curve setting for mpe pressure response in the next update, or build in an option to use the AT settings for incoming midi messages.

New Hydrasynth models out. Hydrasynth Deluxe and Hydrasynth Explorer. Glad I got the desktop model, even though the price reduced a month later. :hihi: :dog:

https://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/hydrasynth-deluxe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieU4yEWHyKI

https://youtu.be/a5fexzfxdSA
<List your stupid gear here>

Not many 73 key PolyAT keyboards around. Can see a lot of people lusting after that. People were buying beat up old Ensoniqs for a lot more than they're worth as synths just to get the keyboards. The bi-timbral engine and bigger keyboard makes it a direct competitor with the Novation Summit now.

Are you safe?

Just noticed the 1.5.3 update notes have disappeared to be replaced by update 1.5.4 notes which looks like a combo of what was in 1.5.3 plus a few extra fixes. There are also links to 1.5.4 update packs and firmware.
---
Functional changes:
1. There was a problem with the LATCH logic where you could latch notes both
internally and externally creating a MIDI Loop. To prevent a LATCH MIDI loop, when
ARP TX = on, MIDI out will send latched notes. Notes received on MIDI in will not be
processed with the LATCH logic. When ARP TX = off, MIDI out will not send latched
notes, notes on MIDI in will latch notes.
2. Speed up the Hydrasynth keyboard PB/mod wheel MIDI out slew speed.
3. Added more velocity options in system page 3
4. Fixed the unbalanced velocity response of white and black keys.
5. Hydrasynth won't respond to MIDI start anymore if the clock sync is internal
6. Added more time resolution to delay time and delay time modulation
7. Changed the Vel Off position in mod src – same parameter as MPE Vel OFF but with
a new name.
8. Distort FX preset Drive1 change default Asym value to 0
9. Notes can get stuck on, if you play many other notes quickly with sustain pedal
pressed
10. Makes changing the mutant Shift+Ratio smoother
------
Bug fixes:
1. With LFO in trigger Single/OFF mode, it is possible to have a delay at the note start if
you play very quickly
2. Pause the Vegas light show if you are calibrating the ribbon.
3. LFO mod to ENV attack may not be on time.
4. Unit sends pitch & mod wheel message during boot up.
5. After save, the browser button was highlighted.
6. Notes messages not in MIDI RX affected the ARP.
7. Category Vocal not showing all vocal presets.
8. If Browser = category sort, and the unit receives a program change message for a
sound which is not in this category, caused problems in the patch list.
9. ARP's first note has a delay with external clock.
10. Playing keyboard with notes coming in on other channels via MIDI RX may cause
hung notes.
11. LFO step 54 lost in patch save.
12. Higher number macro modulating a smaller number macro didn't work.
13. Holding a key and turning ARP = ON, then turn AR= OFF, will cause some note
problems.
14. Mono aftertouch will hold to a value of 7F in cases of MIDI Loop.
15. Voice priority fix when playing a legato mono sound. i.e. play E, D, C, and released C,
it went back to E and should have gone back to D.
16. Fixed High pass filter memory overflow issue that could affect the mod wheel
amount to OSC pitch.
17. Tempo didn't follow the BPM change when BPM sync on
18. The Lofi OUTPUT parameter doesn't work in 1.5.2
19. 1.5.3 introduced a bug that would set the system velocity to a fixed value.
20. LFO phase will be reset when loading a new patch
21. Corrected the Envelope Attack slope, reversed EXP/Log name display.
22. Fixed patch category sort issue with Patch Manager that could result in patches
getting corrupted when sent and received.
23. Fixed MPE issue with sustain pedal and release velocity.
---
https://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/downloads

Are you safe?

Hydrasynth Explorer looks like it might be OK, although the keys look a bit stumpy. Korg got it right with Minilogue/Monologue - by making the keys a bit longer, it makes it much easier to play chords with black and white keys in them. You can see in the video how cramped the guy's hands get sometimes. Explorer is the same price as a Minilogue XD so it's up against some stiff competition. Still, endless encoders would win out with me, I think.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

To me the Explorer looks like it has everything the desktop version has, but obviously adds portable playability. I was wrong about the price, the US dollar RRP is $799 which is about the same as the desktop.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:43 am To me the Explorer looks like it has everything the desktop version has, but obviously adds portable playability. I was wrong about the price, the US dollar RRP is $799 which is about the same as the desktop.
No cv in either?

So less knobs/screens, no cv in, plastic build, mini keys, battery power

Looks a good addition as a second tier module in a live setup or sofa jams, but I think the desktops a better studio tool if we’re at the same price point imo

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”