Best vst for Supersaw?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JP-4c

I got so many synths that do decent supersaws, I just layer loads up and get the ULTIMATE SUPERSAW! Not really, just makes it sound thick, and different nuances of the same thing.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Biome_Digital wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:36 am I am going to do a comparison demo track now comparing up to 20 of my synths.
Hope you do it better than the peeps before you. Common mistakes I've seen: Detuning is different; envelope settings differ; some even left phase retriggering on on some synths; two oscillators instead of one on other examples, or vice versa.

Some things you won't be able to fix: Detuning laws which are hard coded in the synth. Stereo width. Some synths are way wider than others.

I'm by far no expert, but, some seem to do every mistake in the book...

i've seen people in clubs stop dancing because of bad supersaws. "this doesn't make me want to dance. I pity the dj, making a fool of himself. These cornball antics don't play in capital city!"

if only they'd used random phase and not that ghastly fixed detuning. the horror, the horror.

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:30 am
Biome_Digital wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:36 am I am going to do a comparison demo track now comparing up to 20 of my synths.
Hope you do it better than the peeps before you. Common mistakes I've seen: Detuning is different; envelope settings differ; some even left phase retriggering on on some synths; two oscillators instead of one on other examples, or vice versa.

Some things you won't be able to fix: Detuning laws which are hard coded in the synth. Stereo width. Some synths are way wider than others.

No, you are absolutely spot on!

I am half way through it. Detune amount is a problem - some synths go to the extreme. I am doing 3 passes of each synth. 1. least detune, 2. Medium detune (around 50% but adjusted to match sound), 3. maximum detune.

As far as is possible on each synth. I've removed filters, drive, effects etc. Envelope is fastest setting. Osc reset is OFF (random). Oversampling/HQ where available. Level matched.

I am putting the width/stereo maximum where possible.

Interesting so far.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:36 am i've seen people in clubs stop dancing because of bad supersaws. "this doesn't make me want to dance. I pity the dj, making a fool of himself. These cornball antics don't play in capital city!"

if only they'd used random phase and not that ghastly fixed detuning. the horror, the horror.
:lol:

Bad taste never stopped people trying to sound as good as possible. ;)

Biome_Digital wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:37 am
chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:30 am

No, you are absolutely spot on!

I am half way through it. Detune amount is a problem - some synths go to the extreme. I am doing 3 passes of each synth. 1. least detune, 2. Medium detune (around 50% but adjusted to match sound), 3. maximum detune.

As far as is possible on each synth. I've removed filters, drive, effects etc. Envelope is fastest setting. Osc reset is OFF (random). Oversampling/HQ where available. Level matched.

I am putting the width/stereo maximum where possible.

Interesting so far.
:tu:

gaggle of hermits wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:36 am i've seen people in clubs stop dancing because of bad supersaws.
Bad or cheesy? :lol:

I know, you mean that in a sarcastic way....

Rastkovic wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:26 am
gaggle of hermits wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:36 am i've seen people in clubs stop dancing because of bad supersaws.
Bad or cheesy? :lol:

I know, you mean that in a sarcastic way....
supersaws? is cheesy bad or good?

My suggestions.

I've done the supersaw comparison with 24 synths! :) Just making the video now.

Hope you have a thick skin :hihi:

AnX wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:54 pm Hope you have a thick skin :hihi:
Yep, I am well prepared for the trolls and "you've done it wrong" crowd. :lol:

I've done it how I would want to hear it, nothing more. ;)

chk071 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:01 pm
Borderline91 wrote:Best vst for Supersaw?
Your mother.

Ironically, my Mother is an analog monophonic synth that’s incapable of producing a supersaw.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :oops:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

What about some random wavering of the phase of the supersaws ? Call it analog warmth or a door left open in the studio.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

thanks for the hive advice !
i'll try it. i still believe unstable analog-like oscillators and detune will result in lot of disharmonic contents, i maybe wrong, impatient to try.
u-he is doing non-orthodox things, i read how he approximates hallen keys filter using with empirical integrals... so he can find a trick to make it sound right.
subject still going on - and trolling :) - years after

supersaw is usually associated with the widely heard jp8000 lead, i guess the op was talking about the whole unison thing, which was a new universe of sounds for pads bass string leads, and so on.

Return to “Instruments”