Best workhorse EQ

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe try the demo for SlickEQ M?

I don't generally like to work with so many bands at once. What are you doing that uses 6+ bands?

imrae wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:42 am I don't generally like to work with so many bands at once. What are you doing that uses 6+ bands?
generally, HP/LP, wide shelves, more pointed cuts/boosts/other tone shaping, surgical cuts to remove resonances - a badly recorded guitar tone can easily get very complicated EQ-wise (which is what i'm usually using a lot of EQ bands for).
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

imrae wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:42 am Maybe try the demo for SlickEQ M?

I don't generally like to work with so many bands at once. What are you doing that uses 6+ bands?
Thanks for the suggestion. I own SlickEQ M and use it everyday, but prefer to use it solely as a master EQ for subtle shaping.

The reason i use 6+ band is that i like to EQ according to this schema: http://www.balancemastering.com/finishi ... -of-632Hz/

It has helped me tremendously. By using 6-7 bands with fixed frequencies and soft curves, i can cover most of the range and do quick balancing while listening (and not having to think about chasing specific frequencies or questioning strange looking curves using my eyes). I don't always use all 6 bands, sometimes i only adjust 1 or 2, depending on what i hear. But using this fixed schema, i train my ears to position the frequency of what i hear relative to one of the set points. It gives my ears a frame of listening that works surprisingly well.

Too few bands is inflexible (too many edge cases it can't reach). While too many bands muddy the clear interval between the bands and therefore lead to more confused decision making. 6-7 seems ideal, everything considered.

Hopefully that made sense.

Is there any disadvantage to using 6+ bands? Or why do you prefer not to do it?

Ah right, so you want a kind of custom graphical EQ workflow. Equivocate lets you set custom bands, but it's linear-phase so not really a track EQ. Luftikus is a nice soft graphic EQ with auto-gain, but the frequencies may not suit you.

I like to do surgery and shaping in separate stages/plugins; maybe a few dips with SlickEQ GE and some Puigtec curves. It's just a workflow thing, there isn't really a technical difference from the setup Burillo described.

I mostly asked because there are people here who obsessively try to match spectrum curves, so using lots of bands can be a warning sign of that...

cantaloupe wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:46 am What EQ do you guys recommend for a strictly non-visual workflow with 6+ bands? There seems so little variety!! a huge majority is either analyzer based or 2-4 bands analog emulations.
Maybe Sonimus Satson CS might do the trick:

from their website:
Satson CS is a powerful virtual rack that allows you to use up to eight Satson Series modules in one plugin.

Highlights
* The best option for processing individual mix elements and sub-groups, as well as producing end to end mixes.
* Allows for complex compression and EQ chains inside the same plugin.
* Up to 16x oversampling.
* Mono and Stereo operation.
* Optimized for low CPU usage.
* Undo & Redo actions.
* GUI scaling (80% up 150%).
* Zero latency (except for oversampling).

Modules
Each module has been carefully modeled using our Audio Quality Control Process. Sonimus Quality means we only release a product when it’s virtually indistinguishable from high-end analog gear.
* Preamp module: Allows for proper gain staging and gives color to the sound similar to an analog console preamp. By raising the input level, you can produce more aggressive saturation for creative effects. Features: Vintage and Modern Crosstalk, VU meter, FAT and Normal saturations, smooth low and high cuts, and trim/gain control.
* EQ module: Four bands of musical tone-shaping and HP/LP Filters. Provides by two fully parametric bands and two shelving bands (with switch options for semi-parametric) allowing it to be used either musically or surgically.
* Compressor module: Inspired by a classic bus compressor, also provides complementary parameters which provides, mix modern esthetics such as side-chain, high pass filter and Mix knob for parallel compression inside the same module. This module differs from the original equipment since it is also well-suited for mono tracks in addition to the stereo mix bus.
https://sonimus.com/products/satsoncs

I actually bought it just for it's EQ and not for it's analogish sound properties, or the other two modules, but for it's quick/focused no frills workflow which i prefer for fast sound shaping which does not require surgical cuts, in which Pro-Q excels of course.

If one EQ module with 1 set of hp/lp filters, 2 fully tweakable bands + 1 set of high and low shelf (switchable to bell mode) per module is not enough for you, you can simply add another module and can easily have this x8 if you really should really need that many bands

On top of that you also get a preamp model and an SSL bus comp (forget which one it was, i think it was G Bus or something, but i generally don't really care about such details, as long as it sounds good) which you could also have up to 8 times per instance if you don't use any of the other 2 module types for whatever reason.

There's also PSP Infinity Strip (or so), but i think it actually has too much stuff in there for it's own good (my personal opinion of course, YMMV, but if i wanted a channel strip with more than 20 different module types (plus even more to come eventually) i could aswell use my separate plugins i already own inside a track in my DAW.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Have to add to this thread that I bought Kilohearts Slice EQ for like 10$ from another user and its an amazing EQ plugin.

I'm a FL Studio user and Parametric EQ 2 was released earlier this year. I couldn't stand the analyzer in Parametric EQ but version 2 has a new spectrum analyzer which is pretty great.

Still prefer Slice EQ for some reason though. Love how simple the interface is on Kilohearts plugins.

Also bought Carve EQ for like 15$ on this forum but can't really make use of it haha

Paid EQs: Pro Q3 and MAutoDynamicEQ
Free: TDR plugins

The biggest bonus for these is that the developers are on top of it, constantly keeping up with updates and suggestions.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

EQ+

spectrum info from all instances of Pro-Q3 on other tracks
Anyone knows if Toneboosters EQ4 or LVC toned max can do that too?
Trying to decide between both and I don't think I've seen this function.
Both are awesome. EQ4 has an edge with its solo band (Toned max can do that but you have to drag the band or play with the q to activate it and so listen doesn't stay on if you let go), while Toned max has got more saturation options when using with their other - great- plug-in Preamped)

my two 'work horses' for EQ are Fabfilter Pro Q3 for medicinal work and Eosis AirEQ (love how you can flatten the filter tops together) a very soft and elegant sounding non analog EQ... at least to my old ears. they get a lot of the work load while my other EQs get as needed work lol

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

PleaseAdvise wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:09 am
spectrum info from all instances of Pro-Q3 on other tracks
Anyone knows if Toneboosters EQ4 or LVC toned max can do that too?
Trying to decide between both and I don't think I've seen this function.
Both are awesome. EQ4 has an edge with its solo band (Toned max can do that but you have to drag the band or play with the q to activate it and so listen doesn't stay on if you let go), while Toned max has got more saturation options when using with their other - great- plug-in Preamped)
Don't believe Toneboosters EQ4 can do this sadly. Otherwise though, it's a great EQ. Though a bit redundant now I have Pro Q3.

Don't believe Toneboosters EQ4 can do this sadly. Otherwise though, it's a great EQ. Though a bit redundant now I have Pro Q3.
Well, I have Mmultianalyzer for comparing tracks frequencies and collisions, would've been more convenient to have its capabilities directly into an eq but I can work around with 2 plugins I guess. I don't doubt pro q3 is great but in the end I'd rather give money to people that make decently priced eqs that probably do 90% similar stuff.

FF Pro3

I think Pro-Q3 is the best one. But Nectar 3's Follow EQ mode is quite good, if iZotope would release a separate EQ (to rival Fabfilter maybe) with Follow EQ function, I think I would use that EQ more instead of Pro-Q.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”