Good options for Spectral Delays

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was looking at the MSpectralDelay from Melda Productions and see it was once free. Too bad as it sounds quite nice to my ears. I know I'll be putting some money towards one of these, but thought I'd ask around until a sale pops up for the MSpectralDelay. Are there other nice spectral delays on the market? I read this is one effect that not many companies try to make in plugin form and wasn't having a lot of luck finding ones I want.

It's kind of a niche FX, and it got competition from other angles like physical modeling (Objec Delay). Native Instruments used to have one but abandoned it. So that's pretty much it in terms of currently available all-in-one. What's nice about it is that it comes with several routing and module/modulation configurations which speeds up workflow. Most people aren't sound designers or have the time and would be lost without it.

You could use Blue Cat Late Replies and put a spectral plugin into the feedback loop (or however you want it), something like UA SpecOps, W.A Production Venom, etc.. MSoundFactory has a bunch of spectral modules but it cannot currently accept audio input, but MXXX does though I'm not sure what modules are available in there (I do not have experience with it). So you may want to demo it. But now you're spending more, though you'd have more control over sound design.

If you have Reaktor you can search the user library for spectral delay, I recall a handful but YMMV.

VCVrack has a 16-band "Spectra" module and plenty of delay modules to choose from if you want to go fully modular but getting that to work with a DAW is beyond the scope of this comment. Along those lines Softube Modular has an optional Buchla 296e Spectral Processor which is also a 16-band processor, and that works in DAWs easily enough. Though when Melda eventually does the 50% off for MSpectralDelay it's the least expensive solution.

I may have to wait for a Melda sale. I don't use Reaktor much, but maybe one in that library is intuitive and sounds better than MSpectralDelay.

Didn't realize Softube has a Buchla 296e in there. That could be worth checking out, though I'd have to get into the whole Softube Modular ecosystem.

Are you on Mac or on Windows? MSpectralDelay is probably the best on both.
Apart from that, there is a Spectral Delay option on an excellent standalone program (Windows and Mac) called Cecilia: http://ajaxsoundstudio.com/software/cecilia/
If you search for another software called "Integra Live", it may have a "Spectral Delay" module as well, if I remember correctly, though probably not as good as the former two I mentioned.
There used to be also some patches on Max/MSP, if you have it installed.

SpecOps maybe? (Guaranteed to be $29 within the next few months.)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:09 pm SpecOps maybe? (Guaranteed to be $29 within the next few months.)
No, I have it, it's nice and useful, but it doesn't have any real option for a spectral delay (if we mean a delay that changes the timing and/or feedback of its taps differently for each frequency of the spectrum, according to a user-defined graphic).

Just a pity the best spectral delays are all abandonware. NI Spektral delay is still one of my favourite effects but no longer works on my system, iZotope Spectron was the only spectral delay that came close but that’s gone too. Little Endian went out of business so no longer sell Spectrum Worx and same problem with Artificial Audio Obelisk. I can’t get into the Melda one - doesn’t work or sound much like NI Spektral Delay.

Looks like Michael Norris’s free Spectral Suite may be the best option these days as it may be cross platform soon:

https://www.michaelnorris.info/software ... c-spectral

not much up to date out there besides melda. It can be done in Reaktor or other modular environments. Then there are some cool free FFt processors out there that can do some delay effects.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:05 am Just a pity the best spectral delays are all abandonware. NI Spektral delay is still one of my favourite effects but no longer works on my system, iZotope Spectron was the only spectral delay that came close but that’s gone too. Little Endian went out of business so no longer sell Spectrum Worx and same problem with Artificial Audio Obelisk. I can’t get into the Melda one - doesn’t work or sound much like NI Spektral Delay.

Looks like Michael Norris’s free Spectral Suite may be the best option these days as it may be cross platform soon:

https://www.michaelnorris.info/software ... c-spectral
indeed Soundmagic Spectral seems to be great, the algorythms are the kind i want, some already in other stuff, maybe you could do a lot, with a chain of spectral-based effects.

but not for windows yet, i contacted the developer, if the porting to JUCE is still in action.
i am happily to pay a good price for it.

there was another thread, about spectral, i must still answer 2 questions.....

Soundmagic Spectral was mentioned also, GRM tools of course, and i found for windows, bit strange plugins, or strange... they work... have forgotten how they are called.

but Melda has a lot of Spectral power, and SpecOps, can do shift and stretch, spectral.

and MSpectralDelay is 50% of in sale, it was one of my first Melda plugins, i got it free...

and it is great. you can also use it for not delay...

i say 50% of in sale, when in sale, well every week 4 plugins in sale, black friday is coming so...

and indeed with MXXX, you can build your own spectral wonder. it will take some in-depth treatment. but still...

not a delay, but TONSTURM SPCTRL EQ, seems to be in the making for MXXX...

when i checked yesterday, SPCTRL EQ again, i thought this things works differently than i remembered, i think i confused it with one of the GRM tools plugins.

Melda is expensive, but if you do it slowly, watch sales, watch PluginBoutique, and the giveaways, or buy second hand, you can slowly buy the MCompleteBundle, for less..

but Spectral delays... and spectral effects in general.. it is strange that there aren't that many, the power of spectral is in the bin(s)...

so i do it sometimes the hard way (spectralayers, deepaudio, melda plugins, combinations... puremagnetik, and i forget some others...)

I dunno If NI would still do a transfer for an old SD license, but it still runs smoothly on my system. Someone might be willing to sell their license though.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Also worth mentioning are these:
https://www.soundhack.com
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

El°HYM wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:28 am Also worth mentioning are these:
yes those, the name i had forgotten, great stuff! installed only the older versions...
wonder if the payed version, what they give more.

EDIT: morphfilter, MMorph is already in my arsenal. quite good stuff, and if insert MTransformer after it....

EDIT 2: Spectral Compand seems like the one in SpecOps....

There’s also Sinevibes Octagon but again sort of defunct (they should port it to their new framework at some point I hope)

WasteLand wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:45 am
El°HYM wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:28 am Also worth mentioning are these:
yes those, the name i had forgotten, great stuff! installed only the older versions...
wonder if the payed version, what they give more.

EDIT: morphfilter, MMorph is already in my arsenal. quite good stuff, and if insert MTransformer after it....

EDIT 2: Spectral Compand seems like the one in SpecOps....
I had the PVOC kit but they did some sort of paid update thing a couple of years ago to cover a new copy protection scheme, and made it a limited time deal so to get the latest versions I would now have to buy them again so tough

There are Spectral Graphs and processors in Plogue Bidule with which I've built my own spectral delay things. So if you're up for a bit of wiring and imagination, you could try that.

Return to “Effects”